How To Carry Your Wood/New Tools Home - No Prob

I saw a guy with a Ford Ranger pickup today, that had lost part, or all of his load. He had apparently made a type of rack in the bed, to move the load above the wheel wells. Well enough, but apparently the load was only supported about halfway, rather than most of it's length. I'm not sure what he was carrying, but it was wrapped in paper, and laying in the highway behind his truck, looked like 4X4' paneling. Looked like he'd taken off a bit fast at the light, and the load over-balanced on his too short rack, and then slid out. I would think that if he'd made the rack at least as long as the bed, he wouldn't have had any problem, but it looked like it ended just behind the wheel wells

- I wasn't in a position to take a real close look.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

You have exceeded you bandwidth and have been shut down.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Too bad the link doesn't work.....

- I wasn't in a position to take a real close look.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- Dale Carnegie

Reply to
bob

Mon, Jan 10, 2005, 9:35pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (bob) makes the claim: Too bad the link doesn't work.....

I just viewed it.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

The Pendaliner for the Ranger has two depressions molded into the sides to hold tubafours. Right where you describe the rack ending (immediately after the wheels, and another near the front of the bedliner).

Sounds like what he was doing.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have a Ranger and made that exact mistake. I set 2 x 4s in the small recesses on each side of the wheel wells and stacked several sheets of plywood and wallboard on top, not giving a thought to stability.

Sure enough, when I took off from a green light, the entire load landed on the street behind my truck. Quite embarrassing. What happened afterward was quite a lesson in human nature.

The asshole in the brand new Escalade behind me thought it would be helpful to sit and lean on his horn and shout obscenities out the window while we attempted to clean up the mess. My 6 foot 4, 260 lb step son convinced him otherwise.

Two young guys in a ratty old Toyota on their way to the local muni golf course pulled over to help us. I bought them a six pack each at the next gas station to help with their game.

Reply to
JR-jred

Wed, Jan 12, 2005, 7:17am snipped-for-privacy@metrocast.net (JR-jred) says: The asshole in the brand new Escalade behind me thought it would be helpful to sit and lean on his horn and shout obscenities out the window while we attempted to clean up the mess.

You obviously aren't from around here then. The guy behind the Ranger was in a work truck, and got out and was helping him re-load.

Course he might just have been doing it so he could go on his own way, but, point is, he was helping - that's always good karma.

Thankfully it wasn't me behind him. With my back, all I'd have been able to do would be sit in my truck, or cripple myself. Either way I'd have felt bad.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

nah.. you could have played traffic cop and directed traffic around the "spill site"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Wed, Jan 12, 2005, 9:01am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net (mac=A0davis) says: nah.. you could have played traffic cop and directed traffic around the "spill site"...

Not really. After a few seconds of standing in one spot, my back starts killing me, and I've got to sit down, to ease the pain. Best I could have done would be put my hazard lights on. Hell, it wasn't too many years ago I'd have been able to help load his truck again. The spirit is still willing, but the joints are shot.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

Ya gotta love folks like that. A couple years ago I spun out on an icy road. As I was making lazy 360s at about 45 mph the guy behind me was honking at me - I guess he just wanted to bring to my attention the fact that I was skidding. He also didn't stop and see how we were when I hit the gravel at the shoulder and flipped the rig - so he gets double A-hole points.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

A few years ago, we were working the patients at a pretty severe trauma car crash, on a main state highway. Traffic was backed up and diverted, south a whole mile, to the next big-ish road.

Dumbass with a towtruck blows past the guys directing traffic, and got as far as where I was before we stopped him. I explained that, sorry, but at the moment there are a couple of people in the cars up ahead who are working really hard to not die today, and that his inconvenience wasn't particularly (a) severe, (b) relevant, or (c) going to make any difference to us. He decided to go through, past the extrication site, over the hydraulic hoses for the jaws of life, and on to his destination.

Pity that the sheriff is also a member of the fire department...

Reply to
Dave Hinz