How to calculate drive wheel size?

If a shaft is turning at about 800rpm and you want to use a drive wheel to friction spin a 12" disk at 30rpm what size should the drive wheel be?

Reply to
Pete Macke

Have you seen the carnage when such questions were asked previously? Are you /mad/?

Ok, assuming the drive wheel was at the very perimiter of the 12" wheel, the size would be 12*(30/800) or about 0.45", ballpark 1/2" category unless it is rocket science, in which case I recommend other means...

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Sue lol.. glad someone knows how to do this.

-- Log

Reply to
Log

Previous carnage:

?q=slower+drill+press&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dslower+drill+press%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#9aa311e3f1efbfd8

Reply to
AAvK

The problem then is finding a 'rack', maybe plastic that can be attached around the edge of the disk. Finding a small drive gear should be doable. I could probably fashion one out of round bar myself.

OR I could put a flexible rack on the inside rim ( think record turntable to picture this) and reduce the speed of my drive to around 200 RPM this would mean I could use a bigger and probably better drive gear with less chance of failure.

A nice course tooth flexible rack about 1/2 to 3/4 wide would be perfect. Except I don't know where you would find such a critter.

Reply to
Pete Macke

By rack I assume you mean the toothed thingy that make up the connecting part of a gear. If you application is not high torque, consider plain friction drive. You can also certainly consider belt drive; often much easier to do in a custom situation. The drive end in this case, being only 1/2", will be troublesome; you would need to use a leather belt I think. Perhaps a two-step process - an intermediate idler wheel such as found on many drill presses.

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

That's absolutely correct, which leads to the next step of deciding how to actually accomplish this "friction spin" process, and how to start & stop the contraption since the mass (wieght) of the 12" disk is a consideration, as well as just what sort of load you're planning to put on this disc (since that's going to cause slippage, etc.) A good starting place would be to put some sort of rubber rim on your 12" disc, and just lay the shaft against it. If this works for your application, great, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. In all probablilty, you're probably going to have to use a v-belt arrangement and a jackshaft (idler pulley arangement) to get the necessary torque transmittal in conjunction with the rather substantial speed reduction you need (dropping 800 rpm to 30 rpm).

BJT

Reply to
BJT