How to best read this newsgroup?

And be quick on the "mark read" button.

Before reading anything, I scroll through the message list and Alt-click to select everything I don't care to read. Then I "Mark read" those selected articles, so that they'll be skipped as I read the messages.

My personal path to wRECk tranquility involves almost never joining a thread in progress. If it's got a Re: in front of it, I probably skip it. If it's a new thread, I'll check the subject line, but also probably skip it if it's not within my area of interest. That means reading a couple of dozen messages a day, instead of hundreds.

I read probably 80% of JOAT's links, almost all of Tom Watson's stories, and almost none of BAD's posts.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

snip> so you'll have to scrounge elsewhere for your dose of woodpr0n from ABPW

Let's see, here...

's the one I used before I discovered Agent. I know, I don't use it often, but my old-tyme Tera News account (it was free then, it's about a half-sawbuck now) was what I used then. The updates aren't real-time or anything, but they're there.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

Got Outlook or OE preinstalled ? I use OE and can select exactly what yer looking for:

  1. Each time, shows NEW msgs only (cause I selected "hide READ msgs" in OE). These are the NEW ones since I last checked the NG. The old ones are "read" because
  2. Also selected "mark all (current) msgs read" so once I shut down a NG, theyre "Read". Theyre all still there IF I want to go up and click "show ALL msgs". I know a lot of folks dislike OE but it suits me fine

R.

Reply to
Rudy

I agree I have just set up gravity and it is by far better than the free agent reader I was using. Try it you'll like it!!

Reply to
Bill

I use FreeAgent and it works for me. If you buy Agent you can block the spammers... :-(

Layne

Reply to
Layne

I have use (paid) Agent since 95' and early this year upgrade to Agent 2.00. In my opinion it's still the BEST newsreader available.

Reply to
WD

You can with Outlook Express. Free. You can change views as you desire to show only unread, or all messages or a couple of other options. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There is no better news reader for groups such as this one. BTW the AOL news reader is just about the worst one on the planet.

Reply to
BuckSaw

Well along with several dozen other things you can post a long link without it breaking.

Like this one:

BuckSaw

No nipples in sight, but it did take me to the NY Strippers links. Not handy.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Clicking the link 6 times, one came up New York Strippers, the others came up Gravity. With or without the index.html.

Reply to
J. Clarke