How to best read this newsgroup?

Page 2 of 2
And don't forget about the fireproof undies........ ;-)
JRMapes wrote:

And be quick on the "mark read" button.
Before reading anything, I scroll through the message list and Alt-click to select everything I don't care to read. Then I "Mark read" those selected articles, so that they'll be skipped as I read the messages.
My personal path to wRECk tranquility involves almost never joining a thread in progress. If it's got a Re: in front of it, I probably skip it. If it's a new thread, I'll check the subject line, but also probably skip it if it's not within my area of interest. That means reading a couple of dozen messages a day, instead of hundreds.
I read probably 80% of JOAT's links, almost all of Tom Watson's stories, and almost none of BAD's posts.
Kevin
On 10 Jun 2004 14:46:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JFCBAS) wrote:

Agent. http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Sure. Get a shell account from an ISP such as Panix.com ($10/mo, includes web space, email account, news group access, other stuff) or evne a free shell account easily found using Google and get a text mode newsreader such as slrn (what I use), tin, or gnus. Newsreading speed like you've never known before ;) Just a bit less pretty.
nuk
--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.
On 10-Jun-2004, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JFCBAS) wrote:

That's probably the best way to read this group. With so many off-topic posts, marking all messages read and moving on means you won't miss much.
Mike - who's got more folks killfiled in this ng than all others combined. Can we create "alt.wooddorkers.with.nothing.to.do" for all these OT posts?
>With IE and Google, I can never tell what I've looked at and

Got Outlook or OE preinstalled ? I use OE and can select exactly what yer looking for:
1. Each time, shows NEW msgs only (cause I selected "hide READ msgs" in OE). These are the NEW ones since I last checked the NG. The old ones are "read" because 2. Also selected "mark all (current) msgs read" so once I shut down a NG, theyre "Read". Theyre all still there IF I want to go up and click "show ALL msgs". I know a lot of folks dislike OE but it suits me fine
R.
I use FreeAgent and it works for me. If you buy Agent you can block the spammers... :-(
Layne
On 10 Jun 2004 14:46:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JFCBAS) wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:41:19 -0700, Layne <> wrote:
I have use (paid) Agent since 95' and early this year upgrade to Agent 2.00. In my opinion it's still the BEST newsreader available.

You can with Outlook Express. Free. You can change views as you desire to show only unread, or all messages or a couple of other options. Ed

Well along with several dozen other things you can post a long link without it breaking.
Like this one: http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=k6lhc09ie6hu385pc4jer419t14pn0lb1b%404ax.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dnewsreader%2Bgroup:rec.woodworking%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Drec.woodworking%26safe%3Doff%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3Dk6lhc09ie6hu385pc4jer419t14pn0lb1b%25404ax.com%26rnum%3D2
On 10 Jun 2004 14:46:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JFCBAS) wrote:

FreeAgent www.Forteinc.com
There is no better news reader for groups such as this one. BTW the AOL news reader is just about the worst one on the planet.