How to best read this newsgroup?

Page 1 of 2
I'm switching ISPs, from AOL. AOL has a great newsgroup reader-- you can mark all entries read so that the next time you sign on,everything that comes up is newly posted, With IE and Google, I can never tell what I've looked at and what is new. I also can't directly access newsgroups via my ISP, they tell me that they "don't support newsgroups". Is there some newsgroup reader or other available freeware or shareware that lets you manage newsgroups efficiently?
Bjrrnar skaltu JFCBAS rista --

XNews
http://download.com.com/3000-2164-10144167.html?tag=lst-0-1
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JFCBAS) wrote:

What's your computer operating system?
I use MT-Newswatcher on an older Mac.

ditto. Works better, imho, than the related YA-Newswatcher. I prefer it to anything I've tried so far on 'doze or 'nix. YMMV
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

Pre-X, I used all the Newswatcher variants (VA, YA, and MT). I switched to Thoth at least a couple of years ago, and I enjoy it greatly. Much the same user experience as Newswatcher, but with OS X.
Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

There are a few freeware newsgroup readers that will make life easy. My current preference is Gravity, it's free and you can get it at: http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/index.html
/vic Std-Disclaimer: not affiliated with gravity or free berlin- merely a satisfied user of both.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMameritech.net says...

That's the combination I use too. The server is almost never down and it seems to get most articles. Most ISPs don't have a very complete news feed even if they do offer one.
And Gravity isn't perfect, but it's about the best I've tried. The newsreader in Netcape 4.?? would be my second choice.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

The above link takes you to New York Strippers "Providing the absolute best in adult entertainment in New York." Seriously.

No, it doesn't. Seriously.
It takes me to "Tom's Gravity Pages"
Not a nipple in site.
djb
Dave Balderstone writes:

No nipples in sight, but it did take me to the NY Strippers links. Not handy.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

no it doesn't. your browser has been hijacked. try a good spyware cleanup tool like adaware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware /
or spybot search and destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=pl
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Since I posted that one- Seriously. NO, it does not. The link **as quoted** goes to Tom's Gravity Page. Use the entire URL, you need the index.html also. Otherwise, you get a text page of New York Stripper information.
But either way- not a nipple in sight. Dammit.
/vic

No, I don't.
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity /
Takes me to the gravity page
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates /
takes me to "Tom's Prohost Page"
and
http://lightning.prohosting.com /
404's.
Now, would someone PLEASE post the correct URL for the NY strippers?
djb
VRadin wrote:

Clicking the link 6 times, one came up New York Strippers, the others came up Gravity. With or without the index.html.

--
--John
snip> so you'll have to scrounge elsewhere for your dose of woodpr0n from ABPW

Let's see, here...
http://www.delorie.com/wood /
That's the one I used before I discovered Agent. I know, I don't use it often, but my old-tyme Tera News account (it was free then, it's about a half-sawbuck now) was what I used then. The updates aren't real-time or anything, but they're there.
-Phil Crow
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMameritech.net says...

I agree I have just set up gravity and it is by far better than the free agent reader I was using. Try it you'll like it!!
By going to the view drop down menu in OE, clicking on current views then "hide read or blocked messages" and marking the whole news group as read after reading what I wanted to, when I check the group again all I see are new messages from people I want to see messages from..
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

mark
up is

Umm, you can do that with IE 6.0 also.

IIRC by default IE6.0 has new unread posts in BOLD. After being read the font goes to NON BOLD.
With IE 6.0 you can also hide all read message fromshowing up when you load the program.
"Leon" wrote in message

load
"CTRL H" will hide or unhide read messages.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

MT Newswatcher for Mac is really good and Xnews for the PC is really good as well.
Oh and since i couldnt resist... "How to best read this newsgroup?"
With a thick skin and BIG grain of salt is often very handy.
;-)
Jerry