How tight is saw blade insert

Hey all,
I have been using my new PM66 and am pretty happy. It came with two table inserts, one for the regular blade and one for a dado blade. When I tried to install the dado blade insert it wouldn't fit. I sanded down the edge to make it fit, but it raised a question in my mind. I need advice from experienced individuals on how tight should the insert be in the opening? The obvious is not so loose it fall out, but what is a good rule of thumb.
Does this also hold for wood/plastic zero clearance inserts?
Thanks Larry
"LP" wrote in message

A somewhat snug fit, but not tight, is ideal. The ones I make for my Unisaw just drop in the slot with no resistance, but exhibit minimal side to side movement. About the only danger, other than using the wrong size for the blade/dado stack, is vibration ... and that shouldn't be a problem with a PM66.
That said, it sounds as if it's about time to make yourself some real "zero clearance" inserts for both safety, and clean cuts.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Be sure and duplicate your brand of saw's flush adjustment points, and put a pin where they use it on the far end to hold it from being thrown back at you.
I also put an adjustment screw up front so that it almost wedges in. May not be better, but makes me feel safer.

LP wrote:

You want it to drop in by pressing down lightly on the insert. When I got my PM66, I don't think the insert would have gone in short of hammering it. Had to use the belt sander to take enough off the sides to get it to slide in. Gark.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Snug. Mine have to be aligned to go in - and have to be pulled straight up to be removed. My factory inserts aren't as snug as my own shop made inserts.

a'yup!
Thanks all for the input. About what I expected, except about the pin. I was wondering why an aftermarket zero clearance insert had it on there. I think I'll try making some of my own home brew zero clearance inserts now.
Larry