How Tall Is Your Miter Saw Setup?

I'm thinking of rearranging my shop in a way that would require putting my SCMS on a cabinet that would be taller than what I've been using for the last ten years.
The table of the saw is currently at about 35-5/8" from the floor and the new arrangement would put it at about 40-1/4". I'm just under 6 ft.
It's going to take a fair amount of work moving lots of stuff to even get the saw onto the cabinet for a test, and I figure I might even have to use it for a while before I could tell how well it works. So, before I try that, I'm curious whether others have a setup that tall that they are happy with.
Thanks.
My shop is currently so tight and the miter table sits to the left of the table saw that I purposely made it exactly the height of the TS so I could maxamize my left of blade space and get the extra supprot on wide pieces. Even so I think I am still less than 4 ft.

The miter saw bed is about the same height as the table saw. It's a comfortable work height for me, and I do a lot of work on the support table next to the miter saw.
A couple 2x4s screwed to a piece of plywood might let you mock up the new height of your saw so you can see how the new height works out.
Puckdropper
Chris Wolf wrote:

---------------------------------------------- Set your existing table with SCMS on some concrete blocks as a mock up test.
Since the blocks are 8", the test will be 35 5/8" + 8" = 43 5/8" which still puts the SCMS at chest height.
Have fun.
Lew

We have an older folding stand with a 12" on it and it's at least that tall. It's not our everyday saw so I can't measure it right now. My guess is that it's probably 42" or so. I like it that high because I hardly have to bend over to see my cut. I don't think you will find 40" or so too high as long as you have support for longer pieces. YMMV.
Mike O.
I built Norm Abrams portable miter saw table which puts my miter saw table top at 43" from the floor. I really like the height. No bending over at all.. The board and saw blade are much easier to see.. 40 1/4" sounds to low to me.. Especially for you.. -Jim
On 1/11/2010 1:28 PM, Chris Wolf wrote:

I wouldn't think it is the work surface height that's so important, but the height of comfortably operating the tool, handling the tool, itself. Bending a little, to see the work being done, shouldn't be such a big issue, though it's nice to comfortably see your work. I wouldn't want to reach uncomfortably high, to grasp the saw handle/ grip. Mid-chest high, for that tool, is comfortable for me, at 6'.
I have a Delta sawbuck whose work surface is 35-1/2". Gripping the handle is about 8"-10" higher. It's comfortable for me. I still have to bend, often, to see what I'm aligning, before cutting. Table saws are 34-1/2", work cabinets/tables are 36". ... I bend all the time to see things, properly.
I have a French buffet that is 39". Mounting a miter saw on it would be, I think, uncomfortably high to handle a miter saw. That would put the handle/grip at least 12" higher. I am visualizing this might be an awkward reach. Compare this sort of reach with operating a RAS.
I'm with others in: Make a mock-up table and test a few heights that suit your reach, not necessarily what you can see, conveniently, as you work.
A comparison, somewhat, would be: Using a skill saw at 30-35" is much easier, and probably safer, than at 43"- 45". It's not seeing or aligning, for the cutting result, that's so important, but the cutting technique. The best cutting result would be a product of the best cutting technique.
Don't allow the tool, or its setup, to control you or dictate to you. YOU control the tool.
Sonny

I am just under 6'-1" and mine is at 43" above the floor. I have had it this height for three years and it is comfortable for me.