How straight is straight?

That's for the 385-24 (bevelled one side). The 380-24, as referenced in the original post in this thread (not bevelled, like the LV) is ~ $54.

Doug Miller

All of which is correct, but misses the point of the thread. The original post asked, in essence, why is the Starrett more expensive, yet less accurate, than the Lee Valley; this was shown to be a misconception. Whether the 2.5x greater accuracy of the Starrett is needed for woodworking is a different discussion.

Doug Miller

Charlie, You are correct about wood: that 0.002 is way past where you need to be. However, for machining steel parts, 0.0002" is really nice.

Also, seems to me that if your stratig ege reference has an error of up x, then your jointer can be up to square root of (2 x squared), root mean squared (RMS). If you join two pieces that also gets RMS'ed so the error is potentially twice the eror in the original reference straigth edge.

Still not very much, but just for completeness, we ought to make note of this effect -- unless this analysis is wrong -- and it sure could be.....

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Yes Doug -- you hit the point of the discussion right on the head. I've noticed that these threads take on a life of their own and usually morph into completely different discussions. In this case, it has, at least, stayed constructive.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

It sure is an entertaining analysis. It has all the right components - numbers, multipliers, square roots, abbreviations and a way to put all of those together. Hell, it doesn't have to be accurate, it sure looks impressive as a formula.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hi Charlie,

Especially when you consider that 200 years ago people were using wooden planes, and big-slab wooden benches - which weren't leveled with a routah and sled - to make furniture that is excellent by any standard.

Reply to
gregg

First, a human hair isn't necessarily 100 microns. red heads may be down to 60 microns, lots of black hair is 150 to 200 microns.

Second about 1/128" Hell, breathing on the wood will make it move that much from just absorbing moisture. And working out the math, if you are 1/128" short you are truly a "hair" short or maybe "two hairs" short or more accurately you are one black and curly short. Oh yuck!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:WtdFd.140$aa6.59 @fe61.usenetserver.com:

All it needs is an addendum calculating for 220/240/440V, wire gauge, and whether we need three or four leads...

Patriarch, who IS kidding...

Reply to
Patriarch

Reply to
Liam

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com:

Yeah, my point exactly. Most people have no concept how small 0.0002" really is. You can't see 0.0002" with your eye. You can't reliably see it with the best optical microscopes. It's so small that any amount of routine handling will throw it out of tolerance.

So why pay extra for 0.0002" tolerance in Starrett vs 0.002" tolerance from Lee Valley? Beats me.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:09:13 GMT, "George E. Cawthon" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

What's yuck about black and curly man? My wife has black curly hair on her head. Seems OK to me

Reply to
Old Nick

Good to know. Just speculating *as you are* as to their current marketing strategy. [Unless you work in their marketing department.]

I'm speculating they too sense a "disturbance in the force" and are looking to grab some bucks from an expanding segment.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I thought someone would descend to a lower level. ;-)

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Now, now, trolls' accusations not withstanding, this is a civilized group populated by gentleman (and proper ladies). [besides, that would have been waaaay too easy :-) ]

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:47:30 GMT, "George E. Cawthon" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Aaah! That stuff between my toes.......

Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:47:30 GMT, "George E. Cawthon" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Damn!

Reply to
Old Nick

True

Yes, you can, easily.

Depends upon your routine.

Depends on the intended purpose.

Reply to
CW

Comes from a long time dealing with the company and working with a couple of their toolmakers.

Reply to
CW

[This keeps coming out sounding argumentative, and it's not meant to be:)]

Can you tell 0.0002 from 0.0003 by eye "easily?" When you say "easily," do you mean bright light shows 'twixt straightedge and work? In astronomy we deal with arcseconds; there are limits to what the eye can see. Older eyes have more trouble. Can old farts here see 0.0002 easily? Is that amount small enough that temperature (coefficient of thermal expansion) matters?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis