How sharp is sharp !!!

In a recent sharpening article in FWW magazine the author stated that he regularly polishes down to 3 microns and at times down to 1 micron [.000039"].

My logic is that a one micron edge will crumble in the case of highly tempered steel and at least deform in lower tempered steel cutting edges . the edges will continue to do so until they can sustain the localized bearing pressure due to use . In turn the local bearing pressure will depend on the force applied to the cutting edge, the hardness of the material being cut and lastly the bevel angle of the edge.

The only way these tolerances would work is if the material was infinitely strong we are nowhere near that level probably the closest thing we have to that is diamond.

The other assertion was the finely polished edges hold their edge longer. I am never quite sure about this .A finely ground edge will result in a even cutting edge which in turn will result in the whole cutting edge taking the load and thus reducing the overall edge stresses [and wear]. On the other hand edge ridges on the cutting edge due to a lesser degree of honing will break down due to higher local stresses until the stresses at the cutting edge are even out.

Polishing the back of the bevel may reduce frictional resistance of the tool when in use. If this is true microbevels make sense [a double bevel, the small secondary bevel close to the cutting edge ]. So instead of spending hours polishing the whole bevel, hone a fine microbevel and simply buff out remaining bevel with jewelers rouge .

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

I think I read that article, too, and I thought he was talking about the type of polishing compound or sandpaper he used when stating the 3 micron or

1 micron, not the thickness of the polished edge. I agree with you that polishing to a 1 micron edge thickness is silly. But, using a very fine grit to polish with makes a lot of sense and I'm almost 100% sure this is what the author was saying.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Personally, I always sharpen my tools to one atomic diameter, as verified by my electron microscope. I'm saving up for a Grizzly Atomic Force Microscope so I can arrange a line of diamond atoms across the final edge. That way I'll be able to let gravity do all the work, and I can sit back with a beer and watch.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

After careful consideration of the above I've decided to go subatomic with my sharpening regimen.

I'm thinking that quark size is good and would go for the charmed quarks but they sound too much like a breakfast cereal.

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Tom Watson notes:

You mean they're not! Damn. No wonder my stomach is upset.

Charlie Self

"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

Reply to
Charlie Self

This is probably a gluon density problem, Charlie.

Has something to do with gas, well - plasma really but how good does that sound?

I'd try a switch to the low-gluon-high-fiber quarks and your gaseous diffusion problem should go away, with the added benefit of more predictable (and more socially acceptable) energy releases.

Bon Appetit.

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

I like your thinking Tom. And to extend it a bit (pun intended) up and down quarks would be perfect for spiral router bits.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Worse, if you do know which one you sharpened, you can't know where you put it.

There's a section of one of the Discworld novels where Death is sharpening his sythe - starting with stones, and working his way down to through steel, linen, satin, silk, the dawn breeze, and finally the dawn light itself. The blade was sharp enough to cut photons.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Picking a nit here. Granite is an igneous rock, limestone is sedimentary, and marble is metamorphic(more or less). ARM ;-)

Reply to
Alan McClure

Alan you might just hit the nail on the head, thats probably been the problem all along....mjh

-- mike hide

stuff....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

stuff....mjh

Have you seen the statistics on what the sedimentary lifestyle is doing to our citizens?

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Heh. Sedentary causes settling...sedimentary?

Charlie Self

"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yes, it causes a condition called "ferroplumbic rectitus", the iron in your blood turns to lead and settles in your ass.

-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry

Reply to
Micro*

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 02:59:45 GMT, "Micro*" pixelated:

You know when you've reached the Metal Years: You have gold in your teeth, silver in your hair, lead in your ass, and iron in your Geritol.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

in that tools will only get so sharp. How sharp they get depends on the nature of the steel it is made of. if you want really sharp japanese tools will get you there. Just because a tool is really shiny does not mean it is any sharper.

Reply to
Steve Knight

To me microbevels only make sense in that they reduce honing time by a smidge, not "hours". The hours pertain to having to reestablish the primary bevel after the microbevel wears away after repeated honing.

Once, while reestablishing the primary bevel I decided *not* to create a micro bevel again. I found my plane taking even thinner shavings...shavings so thin they came out incredibly wavy rather than curly. I was amazed as this was with a vintage 60s or 70s Stanley #6 with a stock iron. Now, no more microbevels for me.

Layne

Reply to
Anonymous

You made me laugh out loud.

Thanks.

Regards, Tom. Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Alimentary, my dear Homey.

Regards, Tom. Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

I once had a teacher inform me that granite was indeed Ignatious rock. I'd have corrected her, but I was only nine, and she was a Texan.

Don't ask me how she butchered obsidian.

O'Deen

--

- Home of the World-Famous Original Crowbar FAQ

Reply to
Patrick Olguin (O'Deen)

Durned O'Deen.

Don't see so much as a periscope cutting through the water...

He lets go a couple of feesh...

...and sinks back into the murky depths...

(watson goes back to the crows nest and scans the bleak horizon...)