How Sharp Do You Keep an Axe?

Ditto here. I have some of he old back porch roof to cut up, where the flashing was glued to the perimeter with hot tar. I'll cut it to length and send it away with the garbage next week.

They're the only thing for demolition...unless you can afford a carbide chain saw chain for $200-400.

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

LJ:

A cheapo and available purchase at garage sales, flea markets and the like are catcher's shin guards. They'll go nice with your steel-toed sneakers. The thick plastic ones sure beat unadorned Levi's.

When it's possible, I've had good returns pulling the wedge in the handle eye, backing out the handle, keying surfaces with 50 grit, slathering everything with epoxy and putting the wedge back in , snugging components up so the wood-to-steel interfaces on the head and wedge aren't starved of adhesive. Have some acetone on hand to tidy up because it's a mess.

As a footnote, I know I read some guys get TF trying to take up golf. Golf. Susceptibilities vary widely.

Done right, it won't. I have a roll of some thinner stuff but on sledges especially, there is massive improvement in the vibration dampening and you can compress even the regular product real tight with tape. Add glue. Remember you're holding it too.

A friend thinks similarly but first makes a bunch of very slight conical depressions all over the handle with a countersink, thinking that these make anti-slip keys for the foam when compressed by either the tape or swinging hands. Likely, he's right.

The killer foam for the application was developed for seating in the FB-111. That pads my gloves. When I saw your basic

6'8" demonstrator do a dead knee drop on concrete covered by a 1/4"-3/8" pad of the product, the wallet made like an airborne butterfly giving live birth to dollar bills. One day, the wallet may have further fits and buy a roll of the material.

Larry...Larry...Larry, 7734 inverted, I just can't tell you nothing. If I pull out the alumni directory, you're what, Angola class of '73-4?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

C:

If you have any specific names to mention or any other structural detail or tests that you've come across, it would be great to hear. Comparative data would be a specially good find if that is handy.

I know there are ways to make the handles both strong with better vibration dampening but until that can be accomplished at a cost the market is willing to profitably support....

There's a sledge with the handle attached to the head by a short length of cable. It's obviously a bit floppy; that's immaterial for most breaking What it does for diminishing user wear and tear is amazing. Now if only there was a more durable method of reliably attaching the cable.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Regards

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

I guess this guy's axe is pretty damn safe then, but I bet you still cringe when you watch it.

RicodJour

The technique doesn't look any different from how they did it here in yesteryear... Having worked in leather soled 18th century style shoes, that aren't particularly "grippy," barefoot might actually be better. Also, like a good chef keeps his fingers curled while using a knife, this craftsman has his toes curled (and maybe his sphincter muscle)!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I love that axe that he has! I am going to have to see about finding one like that.

It does not make me cringe when I watch him. But I am one of those that believes that the best safety equipment is your mind and your skill, not gadgets.

Reply to
Robert Allison

That's just a regular, unsided broadaxe, Robert. Some were built for lefthanded or righthanded people and the blade is offset to one side. Pics of the various profiles:

like the bearded style 1800s broadaxe by Gransfors Bruks.

He's fairly safe. A newbie doing that would be unsafe. Hmm, did he appear to be missing that left little toe...?

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When cutting with an axe, keep it SHARP! However, if splitting wood, u

Reply to
Nahmie

Sorry, that one "sent" before I wanted it to! When splitting, use a dull axe, the theory being that it wedges the the wood fibers apart, rather than slicing through them with a sharp axe. I caught the devil one time when I tried to sharpen the woodshed axe. Nahmie

Reply to
Nahmie

$450.00 for an axe! No wonder I don't have one.

Reply to
Robert Allison

When did Festool get in the axe business?

Reply to
Swingman

The person who told you that probably wanted to punish you, Nahmie. The sharp end starts the split by allowing the splitter to enter the wood, especially in crosslinked woods. The width of the head or wedge forces it. Doing it all by brute force takes a lot more energy than necessary. I'll use a sharp axe, TYVM. Hydraulic splitters don't have to worry, as they have the mechanical advantage.

P.S: Did you ever get that truck out of that ditch? (Some synapses never die; memory persists;sorry!)

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, they're truly beauties, but he's a bit too proud of his axes for my budget. (I think he's in cahoots with that Festool guy.) I found a broadhatchet, a saw set, and some other tool (3pcs) on eBay for total delivered price of $14.34. Unfortunately, the handle came separately and was unusable.

Most everything you buy used will have been abused. Hammering on the tail, nail chips on the face, cracks and gouges in the handle at the head. But a little work makes 'em yours, and they'll be every bit as functional as a very expensive axe.

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes and no. With the research I've done since posting this, I've found that an axe (what I asked about) can be scary sharp, and should be kept pretty darn sharp. A wedge (or maul) should be kept dull and was never intended to be sharp. A splitting axe (dual purpose) is to be kept sharp like a regular axe.

For those who care.... I quickly discovered the benefits of an axe that is sharp enough to "stick" and have to be pulled out, rather than bounce off.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Makes a whole lotta sense to me. A survey crew I worked on one summer (we laid out the monument system for Bruce Nuclear Power plant back in '67) had a few 'axe-men' as well as a few chainsaw guys blazing a trail to create line-of-sight for the surveyors. Those ax guys gave those blades a quick file and hone every chance/ break they had. "To stop the ax from bouncing." Those guys would take care of a 3" maple sapling with a couple of one-handed swipes with a small ax.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yup, got the truck out late that night. How did you remember? I'd forgotten it until you mentioned it.

BTW, that was the same axe my Uncle used for splitting all the time. It wasn't really DULL dull, just didn't have a real sharp edge. It was also a double-bit axe, wwith the other end sharpened. I've always liked a double-bit, just seems to feel better balanced.(to me, anyway)

Long as we're digtging up memories . . . . do you still have the speil about "dark suckers" Thatb was you, wasn't it?

Nahmie

Reply to
Nahmie

The incident inspired me. (To what, I have no idea, it just did.)

I agree, and balance is important to me. I get more work done with a 5 or 8# sledge than a 20. OTOH, I have a 5# one-sided sledge with just a bit of triangular head on the other side. It has caused more misses than any single hammer I've ever had the misfortune of grabbing. Someone gave it to me and I haven't been successful in finding a new home for it. I guess I don't want the karma that might come with passing it on.

Yeah, I still have it. Someone recently posted it either here on on Wreck.Metalheads. ;)

And while we're in the land of memories, let us not forget antigrav.

--snip-- Asking the mystic Oracle...

Question: If you drop a buttered piece of bread, it will fall on the floor butter side down. If a cat is dropped from a window or some other high and towering place, it will land on its feet.

But if you attach a buttered piece of bread, butter side up to a cat's back and toss them both out the window? Will the cat land on its feet? Or will the butter splat on the ground?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:

Even if you are too lazy to do the experiment yourself you should be able to deduce the obvious result. The laws of butterology demand that the butter must hit the ground, and the equally strict laws of feline aerodynamics demand that the cat can not smash its furry back.

If the combined construct were to land, nature would have no way to resolve this paradox. Therefore, it simply does not fall.

That's right, you clever mortal, (well, as clever as a mortal can get) you have discovered the secret of *ANTIGRAVITY*! A buttered cat will, when released, quickly move to a height where forces of cat-twisting and butter repulsion are in equilibrium. This equilibrium point can be modified by scraping off some of the butter, or removing some of the cat's limbs (not recommended, as it produces an unfavourably high demand for fresh cats), allowing descent.

Most of the civilized species of the Universe already use this very principle to drive their ships while within a planetary system. The loud humming heard by most sighters of UFOs, is, in fact, the purring of several hundred tabbies.

The one obvious danger is, of course, that if the cats manage to eat the bread off their backs they will instantly plummet. Of course the cats *will* land on their feet, but this generally doesn't do them much good at all, since shortly after they make their graceful landing several tons of red-hot starship and pissed off aliens come crashing down on top of them.

--snip--

-- Threee days before Tucson, Howard Dean explained that the tea party movement is "the last gasp of the generation that has trouble with diversity." Rising to the challenge of lowering his reputation and the tone of public discourse, Dean smeared tea partiers as racists: They oppose Obama's agenda, Obama is African-American, ergo...

Let us hope that Dean is the last gasp of the generation of liberals whose default position in any argument is to indict opponents as racists. This McCarthyism of the left

-- devoid of intellectual content, unsupported by data -- is a mental tic, not an idea but a tactic for avoiding engagement with ideas. It expresses limitless contempt for the American people, who have reciprocated by reducing liberalism to its current characteristics of electoral weakness and bad sociology. --George Will 14 JAN 2011 Article titled "Tragedies often spark plenty of analysis"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

ROTFL!!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Aw, c'mon "C-less". I really wanted you to repost it, as I don't remember seeing it here, and don't frequent Metalheads. (or just email it to me, my addy is good.

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

Ax and ye shall receive:

--snip-- For years, it has been believed that electric bulbs emit light, but recent information has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light; they suck dark. Thus, we call these bulbs Dark-Suckers.

The Dark-Sucker Theory and the existence of dark-suckers prove that dark has mass and is heavier than light.

First, the basis of the Dark-Sucker Theory is that electric bulbs suck dark.

For example, take the Dark-Sucker in the room you are in. There is much less dark right next to it than there is elsewhere. The larger the Dark-Sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark-Suckers in the parking lot have a much greater capacity to suck dark than the ones in this room.

As it is with all things, Dark-Suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the dark spot on a full Dark-Sucker.

A candle is a primitive Dark-Sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You can see that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark that has been sucked into it. If you put a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, it will turn black. This is because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. One of the disadvantages of these primitive Dark-Suckers is their limited range.

There are also portable Dark-Suckers. In these, the bulbs can't handle all the dark by themselves and must be aided by a Dark Storage Unit. When the Dark Storage Unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable Dark-Sucker can operate again.

Dark has mass. When dark goes into a Dark-Sucker, friction from the mass generates heat. Thus, it is not wise to touch an operating Dark-Sucker. Candles present a special problem as the mass must travel into a solid wick instead of through clear glass. This generates a great amount of heat and therefore it's not wise to touch an operating candle-type Dark-Sucker.

Also, dark is heavier than light. If you were to swim just below the surface of the lake, you would see a lot of light. If you were to slowly swim deeper and deeper, you would notice it getting darker and darker. When you get really deep, you would be in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the lighter light floats at the top. This is why it is called light.

Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand in a lit room in front of a closed, dark closet, and slowly opened the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet. But since dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet.

Next time you see what is called an electric bulb, remember that it is really a Dark-Sucker.

- Thanks to Russ Jones, Scoutmaster, Troop 575 & National Jamboree Troop 1636, South Plains Council, Lubbock, Texas

--snip--

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques