How remove old glue from plastic?

Have a plastic product that had an old manufactures label stuck to it. I decided to take it off and now have an old sticky glue substance (6x6 inch square) on the product which can not be removed. I have laid wet rags on it overnight and scrubed with soap and water and it is as sticky as ever. Any ideas? Nothing to abrasive since I don't want to damage the plastic finish?
Thanks
"Goof Off" or "Goo Begone" are products that often work well. You might want to start out with mineral spirits first, this often works.
steve aiken
Al Franz (in snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com) said:
| Have a plastic product that had an old manufactures label stuck to | it. I decided to take it off and now have an old sticky glue | substance (6x6 inch square) on the product which can not be | removed. I have laid wet rags on it overnight and scrubed with | soap and water and it is as sticky as ever. Any ideas? Nothing to | abrasive since I don't want to damage the plastic finish?
Lighter fluid and soft paper towel or kleenex.
rubbing alcohol

Al Franz wrote:

The Goo-Gone or similar products work well as do many of the citrus-based cleaners/solvents.
You'll undoubtedly get a zillion suggestions, just be sure to test any solvent very carefully first to make sure it is compatible w/ the particular plastic....
Acetone (fingernail polish remover) works well. IPA (rubbing alcohol) is OK.
If it is small enough to fit in the sink then soaking it in Cascade Dish washing detergent work wonders. The phosphorus in the detergent dissolves the glue and rinses down the sink.
Goof-off and other such products work great too.
-gdg
Al Franz wrote:

And for a real bonus, Acetone will probably remove the plastic as well as the glue!
I'd avoid acetone and alcohol without careful testing. They will dissolve many kinds of plastic. Stick with the citrus based solutions for this.
Mr. G. D. Geen wrote:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:44:06 -0500, Mike Berger wrote:

He might be right. I saw a plastic measuring cup that someone had grated orange peel into. The cup melted. Orange oil is potent.
My $0.02 is vegetable oil. All the other suggestions will work too. Good luck.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

citrasolv.

it
Any
finish?
Many glues will chip off if you can freeze them. That's dependent of course on the product fitting in a freezer.
Al Franz wrote:

Give eucalyptus oil a go.

[snipped for brevity]

Aussies crack me up. Willing to fight with a band of koalas for a little oil. Smells nice though.
Robatoy wrote:

Just like koala farts ;)
It's good stuff, the oil that is. Cleans whiteboards, Glue. Removes labels and rego stickers. You just have to put up with a running nose while your using it. :) Then again it's great for those stuffy head colds. all the best John
If you use one of the citrus based products you just want to limit your "soak" time.
Goo gone is what I've used for this type of thing and never had a problem with plastics. You'll want to test it becasue sometimes the older plastic stuff's color will fade. (don't know how old this item is or what color) but as long as you don't let it stay on too long you shouldn't have any problems.

WD 40. Guaranteed.
WD40 or Mayonaise (sp?)