How Quick to Make Knock Off Festool Domino!

Page 2 of 3
On 3/29/2013 11:41 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Or a trailer's even cheaper for such a small load.
Will need to have a way to arrange to make the swap, however...not sure just how heavy the Jetsaur is.

468 pounds.
Don't forget the $250 in gas for 1200 mile round-trip.
scott
On 3/29/2013 12:42 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Well, it all figures into whether it's worth it or not, of course...as does what Bill can find equivalent value for where he is that meets any time frame he has on an acquisition.
I went from SW KS to S VA to pick up an old shaper a few years ago--of course, in my case have kids in E TN and Raleigh, NC so got in a visit to/fro as a side benefit...even counting the trip cost/time think was worth it.
On 3/29/2013 12:07 PM, dpb wrote:

With the mobile base and the storage platform and the 15 roller out feed figure around 600 lbs.

Forget the truck. 1500 mile round trip is bound to run in to some wet weather, especially in spring. Use a minivan with the seats removed. You may have to do some disassembly to get the saw in there, but there's plenty of space once you get it in the door. (Sometimes I think they start with a 4x8 sheet of plywood then build around it.)
I'd hate to be caught in a thunderstorm with the only thing protecting the saw being a tarp.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Bill wrote:

==================================== "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ "Puckdropper" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- What kind are truck are you thinking about?
I'd want a lockable box van.
It's going to be a 3 day round trip.
No way do I want that load exposed to either the weather or possible thieves.
Lew

I'm thinking about the typical pickup. The box van would be a good way to go. Probably easier to load than the minivan, and lots of room for a detour through Springfield MO if Bill's thinking of getting any big iron from Grizzly. (Oh and be sure to stop in Ozark or Sikeston, MO for lunch/dinner. This time of year, the wait won't be too bad. Hey roll guy!)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper wrote:

I visited Grizzly and attended the Ozark Old Time Musical Festival while in the area last summer. I decided to replace a stud behind my drywall, so I'm still configuring. After I do that, I'll finish my drywall, paint, and hopefully hang a few lamps in May and June. I've got a few small ww projects I might try while I'm playing around with that. In the meantime, my TV Stand drawing could be redrawn. I should probably re-examine Swingman's photographs to remind myself what quality cabinetwork looks like! : )
I think sometimes retired people forget what it's like to have to be somewhere because of a job! : ) My dad used to say that about his dad. "Just come on out", his dad would say to him (so I was told).
Bill
On 3/30/2013 1:13 AM, Bill wrote:

And/or the self-employed ... don't think I've had but two days off this month, and will work both today and tomorrow to finish two projects this week, one a bath vanity replacement that I will haul to Little Rock the second week of April, but need to have it ready by tomorrow to put a couple of coats of BIN on it before that trip.
I did make a quick two day visit to to your neck of the woods for a funeral earlier this month, flew to Indianapolis on Friday morning, flew back on the redeye Sunday morning, and was back in the shop by 9AM that same day.
First time I've visited Indiana, nice area (cold, though). I did contact Doug about the remote possibility of meeting with you two, but was simply too rushed, and had to get back to finish a project for a client to pick up on that Monday morning.
I mentioned the possibility of saw haulage because I'm considering renting a trailer for the trip up to LR for that bath remodel.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Please get an inland marine policy on your tools that will be in the trailer. Try to park the back end up against a building or utility pole.
Not a month goes by where I don't read on facebook about some band having their trailer stolen. Where talking a trailer with hardened steel hitch locks and those parking enforcement wheel boots that cities use to disable vehicles.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/30/2013 11:23 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yep. Being both a musician, with 50+ years of touring (via van, tour bus, trailer, car and truck) under his belt, I'm well known, a thousand times over, for walking into restaurants carrying my bass; and have even been known to frequent a few construction sites ... so rest at ease. :)
Besides, I only rent "one-way" for these type jobs, it's only a 7 hour drive, so no tools stored in trucks or trailers, ever.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/30/13 11:44 AM, Swingman wrote:

I figured, as a fellow seasoned musoid, you'd already have developed a healthy paranoia for such thing. But I wanted to double check. :-)
Do you know what I have under the seat of my min-van? Various, high-priced trailer hitch and door locks in the waiting. I can't tell you how many times I've showed up for "bus call" on a sub gig or mini-tour and found the artist's trailer locked with a 7 buck master locker padlock... probably leftover from high school.
I always ask, "Hey, you don't mind if we use my pad lock for the trailer this weekend, do you?" "No, sure, that's fine. Here's the key to my lock." "That's ok, I don't need it." BAM! Lock removed with drum case. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"Swingman" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------ Lack of planning on your part does not constitute a problem for us. <G>
You run the way you do because deep down, you allow yourself to operate that way.
BTW, I used to be a type "A" like you, but a generous amount of time spent sailing solved that problem.
It's hard to get excited about much when you operate in the 5 mile/hour world.
Lew
On 3/30/2013 12:28 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Painfully obvious that people don't pay you to make their dreams comes true.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"Swingman" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------- My customers don't have dreams about their projects, but rather lookimg for ways to keep their rear ends employed by providing guaranteed engineered solutions to solve process applications the first time.
Industrial market is a whole different world.
Lew
On 3/30/2013 2:13 AM, Bill wrote:

Bill I have a full time job, run a volleyball program, work ridiculous hours on the weekends at times, and still if I replaced a stud, it would be closed up that day or within a few days.. (the first time I get free time).. not May or June..
Stop spending so much time thinking. Spend more time DOING. Putting a patch of sheetrock takes a few minutes. Spread some mud, tape, let dry.
Spread some more let dry. Damn Bill..
--
Jeff

Bill wrote:

=========================================="woodchucker" wrote:

============================================"DOING" costs MONEY, "THINKING" does not.
Bill could have invited SWMBO to ride shotgun and turned picking up a saw into a "quickie" vacation, but that isn't going to happen.
It would cost MONEY.
Lew
Lew
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yes, TIME, MONEY, and a certain amount of risk. And, your point is?
Bill

Lew Hodgett wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------ Come now, you need an explanation of the obvious?
Lew