How others see our work...

Page 2 of 2

I can't be of much help as I've never had an error in my woodworking. I've often altered the original plans a bit though.

I'm in love with your wife. When she's had enuff of your mistakes, she can come here and ignore mine.
Pete

Didn't you get the memo about confessing imaginary sins to your wife? Luckily, she had the good sense to ignore you.
Remember, in the future, it ain't a mistake. It is a design feature.
Not long ago, I had a customer call me for a bookcase. They said that they had purchased a TV stand from me years ago and love it. When I went to their house for the bookcase estimate, I saw my TV stand. It was one of the first ones I made when I was starting out about 5 years ago. My god, what a mess! I wanted to take it and replace it with a new one free of charge. The finish was horrible, the proportions were off, the stain was uneven. Back then, I guess it was the best I could do. The customer is telling me how great it is.............. wait till they get the bookcase!
Rick
--
Rick Nagy
Johnstown, PA

It is time for you to embrace the concept of "The Persian Flaw".
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

Tom, do you mind giving a short description of what a "Persian Flaw" is? I haven't heard the term before, and some Google searching left me with only a vague idea.
Puckdropper

Rugs are always made with an "error" because only God is perfect. A bit silly, since even the absolutely best rug is bound to have a slightly crooked stitch. Because, of course, only God IS perfect. (Just as my absolutely best work has (multiple) slight imperfections.)
Toller wrote:

I'm trying really hard to stay away from showing my flaws. Maybe 1 in 50 notices something and asks, if you assume some are too polite to say anything then maybe 1 in 10 or 20 notices.
And I haven't yet met a god who is perfect (not even "God").
ron
I think the answer is simple: those who are reasonably proficient at something hold themselves to higher standards. The higher standards are the way you WANT to be able to do whatever it is. Those with no aptitude or ability have lower standards and they think that even your "flaw-ridden" effort is better than anything they could ever do so they don't even register what you think are imperfections.
FoggyTown

Most customers won't pay for obsessional behaviour. The trick is to find a balance between speed and accuracy. I constantly remind myself that I am not making a watch or a piano. I also believe that what goes out there with my name on it, should be able to be put on display anywhere. If that piece includes an expert repair, so be it. Chances are nobody, but the most anal, will see that repair. And the anal are never satisfied. Do not waste your time trying to please those tofu-sucking granola crunching asshats with the magnifying glasses. I'm not for them. I could be, but those types won't pay.
The equalizer for me, is that I always ask myself: "would I pay $ xxxx.xx for 'this piece?" If it doesn't pass that bar, it ain't leaving the shop.
You can tell a craftsman by the way he covers his mistakes...just ask Eric Clapton. (*and 100 guys like him*)
Last night we were shopping for a couch. I stopped by the chairs to see how they were made. They all had the arms attached to the backs with screws, with a big button filling the hole. For some reason some of the finish had chipped off the buttons, and they looked like crap. This was on all the chairs, and they weren't cheap.
I showed it to my wife who replied, "yeah?"
I wonder why they all had finish chipped off the buttons. I wonder why people buy chairs that look like crap.

Look around. It's not only chairs. Crap sells. There is lots of stuff on the market now, that sells just fine, that would have never made it fifty years ago. Introduce crappier and crappier products slowly over a long period of time and Joe average consumer never notices. It's called social conditioning.

how
had