How old is this jointer?

Hi y'all, I just bought a Sears jointer on ebay. Looks like a fixer-upper. It's 4 1/8" wide and the model number is 149.21871. Just curious...How old could this be? Sears.com has a parts list and exploded diagram, but show no other info. TIA kb8qlr

P.S.

KB8QLR

Rob Mills

Chech here

James D. Kountz

that model is was made by AMT (American Machine Tool) for Sears. I had one under the AMT name. Its a good little jointer but the key word is little. The short in feed and out feed tables make doing anything over

24" long a bit tricky. AMT got out of the small tool bussness a few years ago so parts may be hard to come by. I hope you got a book with it, set up can be a bear. Bolt it to a table and after set up you should have a useful tool. Once you discover how useful a joint can be, your next step will be a 6". HTH-George

Reply to
George Geddes

Ditto what George that the machine is an AMT. The vintage for this machine would probably be somewhere in the 70's maybe into the 80's??? I seriously doubt it went as far back as the 60's though I could be wrong by a year or two.

Your best bet is to start c*ll*ct*ng Sears catalogs from these eras and start looking to see when it first appeared and last appeared. That will be as close as you'll get to a born on date.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

For a first-approximation check, what does the 'plate' say for the line voltage for the motor? 110 -- mid 1950's or earlier, 115 -- mid 1950's to early 60's, 117 -- early 60's to late 60's, 120 -- late 60's to present

Reply to
Robert Bonomi