How much would you pay....

...for a 40 year old Delta thickness planer? It's a 15 inch planer in excellent condition and I am agonizing about buying it. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

If it works well, no more than half price of new. If it definitely needs work, no more than quarter price of new. If it doesn't even run, less than 10% of the new price. But that is pretty much my pricing for anything I buy used, and I buy all of my big tools used. Your mileage may vary.

Neil

Reply to
nlbauers

There was an article about buying used woodworking tools in Wood magazine recently. An issue or 2 back if I recall. Tells you what to look for and some idea of replacement cost.

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

It's difficult to find parts for older Delta stuff, especially in the last 3 years... If you find the parts, they cost more than gold.

Sadly, much the same is now true of Powermatic stuff.

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff