How much wood should a wood hoarder hoarde?

Help! I have a (wood) shorts problem. Polling the group to see how small a (normal, non interesting) cut off should be saved. I have many pieces as small as 3/4 x 4 or 1/2 x 8. Should I toss em?

Reply to
sawdustmaker

Only toss "most" of them--just in case! ; )

Reply to
Bill

If they are oak, maple, walnut, or cherry, they go into the smoker. I keep a few pieces that small, but not many.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a wooden box (about 18" cube) where I keep my cutoffs. If they are less than 1 ft. long OR if the box is full they get trashed. It is handy to have something to confirm the height of a router bit or the size of a drilled hole for it's intended purpose, etc. But enough is enough.

Reply to
G. Ross

Do you use small pieces (for spacers, or whatever)?

That's a good solution. If they're in the box for any period of time, you probably don't use that sort of cut off. It's sort of the "clean house" mentality - If something hasn't been used in a couple of years, pitch it. s

Reply to
krw

And the next day realize that that piece you tossed is just what you suddenly need.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

No. You should glue them together to make bigger pieces. Keep at it and you'll eventually have a really BIG piece. Use that to make something but save the offcuts and start over :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Cutting/bread boards. Always a popular gift. Each year I dig through my

4 33-gallon trash cans of cutoffs (stuff that is over 8" or so in length and/or long and skinny, useful for face frames) and I cull out maybe 50% for the wood stove and cutting boards.

All smaller pieces get tossed into a large drum for heating during the winter.

Basically I feel if I paid for it, I'll use it one way or another...

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

what is the first thought that comes to mind when you look at the cutoffs

answer that and you have your answer

Reply to
Electric Comet

I'm faced with that now as I'm trying to downsize. However, it is a variant of Murphy's Law that if you throw out odd pieces, one of them would have been useful the following week. A few years ago I built a mobile stand/cabinet for my turning tools with "holes" for drawers to hold chucks and odd tools. I thought that I had all sorts of Baltic plywood in the garage until I looked. Then I remembered that a few months before, I had chucked out all that "scrap". Graham

Reply to
graham

Plain and simple, keep until it becomes an obstacle.

Reply to
Leon

...or until you need kindling wood.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Obstacles? I've dug through my caches, among the obstacles, there, to get to better scraps, for the pieces I wanted. My shop has a few tools that can be described as obstacles, at times.

I toss unused/scrap pieces onto the lumber racks, to the point that, smalle r pieces eventually fall through the greater pieces, onto lower sections. Those fallen pieces become a pain to deal with, sometimes. There's a des ignated scraps area, among the racks, as well.

I have a few caches I deal with: Interior & exterior caches at the main s hop, and there are trash cans I load with firewood and, sometimes, end up s ifting through that, for something. The older shop is essentially a lumbe r, prospective/repair projects, misc. stuff, & scraps storage building, the se days.

Two years or so ago, Jonas and the boys came over to clean the shop. Tosse d out almost everything they considered trash. We bundled it up and poste d on Craigslist "free birdhouse/small projects wood".... also a free work b ench. Had several takers. The shop's about due for another cleaning.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Aye, the First Immutable Law of Wooddorking ...

Followed shortly: by One Trip to Hardware Store - Hah!

Reply to
Swingman

Mike Marlow wrote in news:nlbfko$1oh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I have a "fire scraps" bin that gets emptied and burned every so often. If I need a test piece for something, I just grab it, do whatever it was (usually drill or plane) and toss it back in.

Now if you have contrasting woods, you can glue them together as turning blanks. Make sure you use enough clamping pressure, it's important that the joints be tight. (It wouldn't hurt to joint the edges first.) You may even get some interesting patterns alternating grain direction of the same wood. This is not a "someday" use of the wood, either do it or bin it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Swingman wrote in news:nLCdndIfy42wxeTKnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I thought #1 was "measure twice, cut once, go to the store, you read the tape on the wrong side of the inch mark twice."

I know--story sticks. But sometimes my story sticks tell tall tales.

:-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"I cut that board three times and it's *still* too short!" ;-)

It's always the tape or the stick, right?

Reply to
krw

Oh, sure. OTOH, if you keep everything you probably can't find what you need (and know you have somewhere), anyway.

Reply to
krw

Measure with a micrometer Mark with chalk Cut with an ax

Reply to
DerbyDad03