How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall)

Hell yeah! You've should be worried about the bux you've blown on books that are out-of-date already? Any of them "Programming Apple ][ Pascal"? Or "PDP-11 Assembly Language"? :)

Pssst - have you got any room to store my two VIC-20 books???

Reply to
mttt

Man, anything happens to you, and your fellow FF's aren't getting you out, they're getting out the barbecue sauce. :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

When I first "discovered" the french cleat method for hanging cabinets, when redoing my kitchen ages ago, I thought it was the greatest idea since .

BUT, beware of unsquare/unplumb corners in (old) houses.

Built a lovely corner unit that musta weighed 40# (maybe more, not less) Now, I know 40# to you brutes is barely equivalent to a feather for me. But for l'il ole me it gets kinda heavy, especially when one has to repeatedly lift the ^#@%#*^%# cabinet a hundert times because the &$*^%#* walls aren't *&%&$*& straight!

But, I get ahead of myself...

So, I fasten a cleat to each wall. Lift the cabinet...resort to sliding it up the wall, and hang it on the cleats. The walls are soo bad that it won't grab both cleats. Long story short - mess around with various adjustments, including a cleat on one wall, but in the end, mount the cabinet the old fashioned way, directly into the walls using lags (I don't have studs, didn't trust the furring strips, so I lagged into the concrete block (brick and block walls) - The lagging was yet more excitement, entailing rather long screws (have to accomodate the furring strips and drywall), but I don't recall nor will I bore you with the details.

Those corner cabinets aren't moving. If I found myself a 350# football linebacker for a boyfriend, I can rest assured he could do his chin ups off those cabinets ;-)

Renata

Reply to
Renata

On the other side of the room is my "Hall of Fame" bookshelf. When a generation of books becomes useless I get rid of most, keeping a few that give me warm-fuzzies: "The C Programming Language" by K & R (Pre ANSI version) "Inside the IBM PC" by Norton, 2nd Ed. (Has a now funny description of the massive amounts of space in the 1MB address space) A couple 8086 assembly language books. (I did some really low level stuff in MSDOS 1.0) Two SNOBOL books. (How I miss that pattern-matching language!) Petzold's "Programming Windows 3.1" Just two texts from college.

I wish I'd have kept the PDP-11 assembly language book. ;-) I used to be semi-decent at addition and subtraction in octal.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

You see me in profile and you'll realize it's a *big* number. I use

24" stud spacing because I don't fit between the 16" stuff any more. My wife is a good cook and broadly tolerant of my WW endeavors. Now she has me fattened up to where I can't get away. Last tool purchase discussion involved some statement like "Go ahead and get it, I know you'll make something for me with it." (insert own choice of tone).

Life is good, but I'd love to be 6" smaller around the waist and about

50# lighter for the benefit of the bad knees.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I remember that. I was a vol. FF for several years before moving. We had a little gal about 120 lbs soaking wet who wanted to work on the hose teams. I refused to work with her because she couldn't even drag me across a smooth concrete floor. If there wasn't someone big enough to make a serious stab at moving me I just stayed out of the structure.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Charlie Self wrote: : Mark Jerde asks:

:>Charlie Self wrote: :>

:>> Do NOT use drywall screws. :>

:>Why is that? :>

: They're brittle, so their shear strength is poor.

This is absolutely true. But I've never known why. So ... why are drywall screws so hard and brittle? They're designed to go through drywall, which is not very hard, and then softwood 2xs.

Anyone know?

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Don't forget that they're also designed to be drilled into a metal stud. Perhaps they are as hard as they are to be able to drill through the steel.

todd

Reply to
todd

todd responds:

Might be, except I think drywall screws pre-date metal studs by quite a few years.

And it has never bothered fastener manufacturers to put out an extra product or two to cover things like metal studs. The confusion factor is not theirs, it's ours.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

On 26 Nov 2003 09:22:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Don't they use self-drilling drywall screws for metal studs? That sounds like a new product.

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

So you twist lots of heads off and have to buy more screws?

Reply to
Silvan