How much weight can a 3/4" of MDF support?

Page 2 of 2

Well, I happened to stop at IKEA at lunch time and they had a find in the scratch and dent room. It was a smaller TV stand, about 24 x 24. The TV is at least 8-inches wider than the table top but I figure I may be able to simply screw a 24 x 32 x 1/2" piece of plywood I have laying around on top and leave it at that.
There is no weight specifications, so I don't know if it will hold 100-200 pounds. There was a bigger one upstairs that looked like this one and the weight limit was 60 pounds. But I am at the point that I just want to get this over with.

One word of caution. If this is like my old TV, the weight was concentrated at the front of the tube. If I set it close to the front, it was tippy on a stand. It was OK to have a foot of the back hanging off though as there is no weight there. Moving it back 2" made a huge difference.
On 8/13/10 5:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep, just tossed a 29" Sony CRT TV, heavy SOB, replaced with a 32 inch Sony LCD, the shelf is actually starting starting to get straight again by some miracle. :-)
--
Froz...

Sit on it. Does it deflect badly?
My school issued us 2 drawer dressers that we'd often stack and put our TVs on. One of them would fit your need perfectly.
All you need is a simple 1x4 frame to support a piece of 3/4" plywood. Use 2x4s ripped in half for legs, and call it done. (A few braces on the legs would be a good thing, though.) At 2'x4', that's the basis for a N- trak module. It'll handle the TV easily. (Beware 1/2" plywood. I had some that sagged so easily I had to have supports every 8 inches.)
Puckdropper

The plank and block shelf is a classic. How could they not like that?

How about a triangular stand? Make the 'corner' point square. These big old TVs like some support at the back (tube) end, but you don't need to waste space with a square or rectangular stand.