How much to charge for Crown Molding

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, December 5, 2014 11:08:10 PM UTC-6, Markem wrote:

What a nice thing to say! Thanks!
Robert
Spot on my estimate too. I was thinking a solid 3/4th of a day.
I wonder if you will be able to do anything in those few hours of the day that are left.
If I though I could get away with it, I would go ahead and add travel time or something to get you up to the dollar amount you expect to make for a full day's work.
-- Jim in NC
On 12/5/14, 11:11 PM, Morgans wrote:

They are doing a remodel partly on their own. They put up some walls [you can tell :-) ] and have done some tile work and other things. They contacted me after starting to hang one of the doors and probably decided they'd rather hire someone.
There are a lot of other small, "skilled" tasks that haven't been done. One of which is this section of crown. I can see all these other things and may suggest a package price or hourly rate for all of it. Part of me wants to do just this task and wait until they call for the next. Then the next. And then the next. I can certainly make more money that way and it may make them feel better that they aren't giving up on doing it themselves all at once. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote There are a lot of other small, "skilled" tasks that haven't been done. One of which is this section of crown. I can see all these other things and may suggest a package price or hourly rate for all of it. Part of me wants to do just this task and wait until they call for the next. Then the next. And then the next. I can certainly make more money that way and it may make them feel better that they aren't giving up on doing it themselves all at once. :-) *************************** Sounds like if they trust you, that you could negotiate a favorable hourly rate and work by the hour with the provision that when you come out it is for a 8 hour day minimum. When they have enough to do to take up a whole day, you give them the next days' labor.
-- Jim in NC
On 12/4/2014 2:16 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, from a General Contractors viewpoint, and for this area when figuring estimated labor costs for crown installation for new construction or remodel, I currently use the following for a rough estimate in the planning stages, obviously depending upon type of molding (single, stacked, etc), wall/ceiling conditions, paint grade, stain grade, etc.:
$80 to $120/corner, or $6 to $9/lf
YMMV...
Robert is, as usual, spot on getting an accurate 'what to charge' price from the trim carpenters view point. Can't go wrong figuring all your time/overhead times your hourly/daily rate.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/6/14, 11:53 AM, Swingman wrote:

Thanks so much for the info. Just to clarify... your above numbers are labor only, correct? Not including material.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/6/2014 12:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yep, labor only. For a myriad of reasons it is always in the projects/budget's best interest to supply all material when building or remodeling using subcontractors.
Although on a small job I'll almost always do it myself, despite the fact that being a sub, on a project which you're also the GC, is not for the crippled, crazy, sick, lame or lazy...
... although here lately, at some point in every day, I'm pretty much all but the last, and even then. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/4/2014 2:16 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Hey Mike you might take a look at this to help install moldings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
f5myXkD9s
Leon wrote:

That guy was pretty smoothe... Enjoyed the video. -Bill
On 12/7/14, 12:48 PM, Leon wrote:

Wow! As a guy who works on his own 99.9% of the time, I'm VERY intrigued my that vac-clamp system. I also love how smooth that jig saw is for coping.
I hate you, now, for temping me so much. :-p
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I liked it too. How hard could it be to teach the trick to your shop vac?

On 12/10/2014 7:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Hater! ;~)
On 12/10/2014 7:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

'Tis a clever idea; no idea how pricey the green paint is on that particular adaptor if it's available at all as just the clamp.
It wouldn't be terribly difficult to fabricate a custom piece of a given size; the feature of that is the multiple sections to give the flexible sizing in one part.
Will admit hadn't thought of the vacuum clamping action that way, though...I may well do some experimenting as also the "one-man band" is rampant here as well.
I've rigged up all sorts of things on the barn re-furb to handle pieces like a comealong over a beam with a square hook for holding 14-16ft 1x12's that were the interior walls in the milking parlor area that were taken down while doing the sill replacement and wall stud cripples for areas that had rotted out from 80+ yr of accumulated ammonia damage from the waste trough running along the north wall...
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 22:04:25 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

If you're interested in buying one, it's a coping foot that you add onto your jigsaw. http://www.atlas-machinery.com/products/Collins-Tool-Company-CF-CTC-Coping-Foot-Does-not-fit-new-lever-Bosch-Jigsaw

You have now answered the question that I had not thought to ask yet. :-)

That's one of the great benefits of a group like this. That and the friends you make.
(Won't mention those humourless people that you'd like to drive over with a steamroller) :)

Didja hear about the upcoming Microsoft/Dyson merger? Microsoft's finally going to make something that doesn't suck!
--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes