How much natural oil does wood have

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut contain any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon steel? I want to make some boxes that will be in contact with items, or contain items that will eventually be in contact with, high carbon steel sword blades. I'm worried that these natural oils could damage the metal.
Any suggestions for wood that had no natural oils that might be better for this type of application?
Thanks.
"Dave Rathnow" wrote:

Any suggestions for wood that had no natural oils that might be better for this type of application? -------------------------------- Sooner or later natural wood and carbon steel will react.
Line the inside of the boxes with "mole skin" and the problem won't exist.
Lew
On 02/07/2012 01:31 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yeah, it causes the dreaded "oak rust" we've all heard so much about.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 2/7/2012 11:29 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

As a note, it's the tannin in oak that creates tannic acid in conjunction w/ moisture that's the actual culprit w/ oak and to a lesser extent, walnut, not "oils".

On 2/7/2012 11:29 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

ROTFL ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/7/12 12:17 PM, Swingman wrote:

Keep laughing guys. It's Oak rust brought down the Eiffel Tower, now didn't it. Or *did* it?
--

-MIKE-

On 2/7/2012 12:52 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

And don't forget Oak'n'ah'wa.

*wiping desk*

In the first place, very few woods contain any oils at all. So: no, they don't.
In the second place, why are you concerned about oil damaging steel? Applying a coat of oil is one of the standard ways of *protecting* steel.
On 2/7/2012 12:37 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I am thinking he meant to say acids in the wood. I thought the oil would be ok too. I wish Bocote did not have oil.... or what ever it is in that wood that gums up sand paper very very quickly....as does Cocobolo.