How much light does a shop need?

His Shrillness:

Hey Davie, where's abouts am I one your enemies list? How many lists is it you've got going anyway?

UA100, wondering, I've never seen TGD and Nixon together, hmmmmm?...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yeah, that's me. It's like someone jabbing an ice pick into my brain 60 times a second.

Reply to
Silvan

Ahhh yes, the old ice pick lobotomy trick. I know it well!

Reply to
Not_that_Dave

15,570 kHz for standard TV ... that's the horizontal sweep rate ... can go higher for the various high color modes (vga, svga, etc).

Cornea blocks UV light ... flourescent light is a UV light with UV to visible phosphor coating inside glass ... but some UV does escape. Research will show that during WWII, senior citizens had their corneas removed so they could then watch for UV light comms between enemy vessels off the US east coast.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

As you age, the yellowing of the cornea increases the UV blockage and increases the filtering of the blue end of the spectrum as well. An astronomy enthusiast I know had his cornea removed for cataracts and raved over the new hues of blue and violet he could see.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

jeez, Keith, why are you taking exception to my innocuous comment?

You are inferring bad thoughts from me again, probably due to the loss of your fragile sense of humor.

BTW, you revealed your age yesterday. You surprised me. I thought you would be older. Your level of crankiness usually takes a bit longer to develop.

SMILE, KEITH! I promise it won't kill you.

Sorry you aren't any list of mine. I just enjoy a bit of repartee. (When it's in good fun).

TGD? (that one flew right over...)

just me

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

how many lights in an area is determined by age,,,I have 8 8' lights plus task lights at the machines in a 24'x24' shop,,,my age 50 soon enough,,,,

Reply to
woodcrafter

Their *corneas*???

Nah. I don't believe that for a minute.

Reply to
Silvan

I don't believe *that* for a minute either.

Methinks you two need to go look at an anatomy book and have a look at what a cornea is.

Reply to
Silvan

perhaps if he substituted "lens" for "cornea" his statement would be plausible.

dave

Silvan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

So Davie, you never answered, which one of your lists am I on.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

so how many light fixtures do you have. . .

Reply to
SwampBug

The lens removal and subsequent ability to see blue isn't surprising. Apparently people in bright equatorial areas have had enough UV exposure that they do not see the color blue very well. Some languages from these regions supposedly do not even have a word for "blue".

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

Ooops, you're right - it's the lens.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

IBM Physical Planning Guide

Reply to
Gfretwell

4 four foot double fluorescents with daylight tubes. Two tri-light ceiling fans, and 6 lamps on the individual tools. I've tried to light the room so no shadows fall on my work. I'm also considering putting in 3 more 30x48 windows.
Reply to
davejones

My lights put out a near defeaning hum, like the hum of a million locusts swarming all over my body. I was plagued by this whenever I was in the basement using those God forsaken lights. I thought it would drive me mad, in fact. Then I turned off all the fluorescents and went outside and the hum was still there, so I guess its not the lights at all !

Reply to
David Binkowski

Perhaps indeed...

Reply to
Silvan

Goodness!, I guess I must be tragically under illuminated. . .

Reply to
SwampBug

hehe. I'm planning for the future. I find as I get older more light keeps my fingers safe. If I could I would work outside. I love natural light, but dislike cold, wind, and mosquitoes. My girlfriend even hauls her sewing machine into my shop to do fine work, sawdust and all.

Reply to
davejones