How much light does a shop need?

Page 2 of 3

Some folks are particularly sensitive to these things. I know a guy who goes nuts around a computer or TV because the noise of the ummm... flyback? whatever it's called. Drove him crazy. No one else could hear it. Just like some folks are more sensitive to the flicker of TVs and monitors - they _need_ to have 72Hz or whatever even though many of us don't notice flicker at 60Hz screen rates.
I know another person who finds fluorescent lights too blue. He had cataract surgery and the result of removing the yellowed cornea was to increase the amount of blue light hitting his retina.
We might be created equal, but we don't end up equal.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

Yeah, that's me. It's like someone jabbing an ice pick into my brain 60 times a second.
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:01:18 -0400, Silvan

Ahhh yes, the old ice pick lobotomy trick. I know it well!

15,570 kHz for standard TV ... that's the horizontal sweep rate ... can go higher for the various high color modes (vga, svga, etc).

Cornea blocks UV light ... flourescent light is a UV light with UV to visible phosphor coating inside glass ... but some UV does escape. Research will show that during WWII, senior citizens had their corneas removed so they could then watch for UV light comms between enemy vessels off the US east coast.
Rick

As you age, the yellowing of the cornea increases the UV blockage and increases the filtering of the blue end of the spectrum as well. An astronomy enthusiast I know had his cornea removed for cataracts and raved over the new hues of blue and violet he could see.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

I don't believe *that* for a minute either.
Methinks you two need to go look at an anatomy book and have a look at what a cornea is.
perhaps if he substituted "lens" for "cornea" his statement would be plausible.
dave
Silvan wrote:

The lens removal and subsequent ability to see blue isn't surprising. Apparently people in bright equatorial areas have had enough UV exposure that they do not see the color blue very well. Some languages from these regions supposedly do not even have a word for "blue".
Michael

what

Ooops, you're right - it's the lens.
Mike
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Perhaps indeed...

*BELIEVE* it. Today, there are artificial replacement lenses available.
Historically after the surgury, one wore glasses with *very* thick lenses. Almost hemispherical.
Years ago, I worked in an opthalmic lens laboratory. We had a separate machine for griding 'cataract' lenses -- for glasses, not implantable.
I think it was powered up _twice_ in the 18+ months I worked there.
Robert, I'll never forget the time I saw an old-timer Navy man in Olathe, Kansas, at the Naval Air Station, circa 1964, sporting what could have passed for Coke bottle bottoms. He said he had cataracts. The glasses were dark green. Is there a reason they were green instead of gray, other than HIM having asked for that color? I presume it was due to light sensitivity, but you don't often see green sunglasses.
dave
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Rick wrote:

Their *corneas*???
Nah. I don't believe that for a minute.
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:13:35 GMT, "Michael Daly"

I used to be able to hear that too. Several years running farm equipment, shop tools and chain saws seems to have cured the problem.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Man, that was so low, even Tennessee Ernie Ford couldn't sing it.
groan! Tom, you could also use some new writers....
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

still spreading good thoughts, Keith?
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

His Shrillness:

Hey Davie, where's abouts am I one your enemies list? How many lists is it you've got going anyway?
UA100, wondering, I've never seen TGD and Nixon together, hmmmmm?...
jeez, Keith, why are you taking exception to my innocuous comment?
You are inferring bad thoughts from me again, probably due to the loss of your fragile sense of humor.
BTW, you revealed your age yesterday. You surprised me. I thought you would be older. Your level of crankiness usually takes a bit longer to develop.
SMILE, KEITH! I promise it won't kill you.
Sorry you aren't any list of mine. I just enjoy a bit of repartee. (When it's in good fun).
TGD? (that one flew right over...)
just me
Unisaw A100 wrote:

So Davie, you never answered, which one of your lists am I on.
UA100