How much is too much?

Buddy of mine wants to build Norm's Cypress bench
http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?1203.jpg
So we went to the local store and they have some 8/4 Cypress with a few knots roughly 8" and 8' long. He tells us it is $5.80 BF, we thank him and head back to work.
I whip out my handy dandy BF calculator (OK MS Excel) calculate how much, add 20% for miscuts and knots, add the 7% for or non-seatbelt wearing governor and get ~$400.
Does $5.80 sound right for Cypress? I can't find an online price without placing an order.
RayV wrote:

Try : http://www.walllumber.com/soft.asp
They have it for $3.50, but http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WS&Category_Code=Cypress has it for $6.99. If could be that the higher priced offer would be cheaper, if it is closer to you, shipping wise.
--
Frank Howell

Sounds pretty salty to me. I get mine from these guys http://hollingsworthlumber.com/search/44 and don't pay anywhere near that much, e.g. 2x8x8 for $19.92 = $1.87 / BF -- of course, Russiaville, Indiana would be a bit of a road trip for you. I can leave after breakfast, and be back in plenty of time for lunch.
Pricing is location-dependent, of course, and there may not be any place in New Jersey where you can buy cypress under two bucks a BF, but I've gotta think you can find something better than $5.80 with a little time spent on the phone. Even though cypress is a softwood, you'll probably have your best luck with lumber dealers that advertise in the Yellow Pages that they sell hardwoods. (Dealers that don't carry hardwoods frequently don't have any softwoods other than spruce, pine, fir, and maybe cedar either.)
--
Regards,

All depends on supply and demand. That greatly varies with location. Cypress is plentiful here, redwood is not.

These guys are good to work with and much less expenxive. http://www.hardwoodstore.com/lumber.html
No, it doesn't. Last time I was at Monteath in Old Bridge, NJ I seem to recall Cypress going for something like $3 BF for 4/4. Can't see why 8/4 would be almost double.

It would be a steal compared to the last time I priced it! I was thinking of building Norm's table too, but 4/4 Cypress was $11 a foot in my area! It would have been a $1000 table! Greg

About four years ago I bought cypress at a very reasonable price, about $3.50 IIRC. A year or so later, it was about $5 and the quality was not as nice. Last time I tried to buy cypress, it was unavailable in New England in decent quality. They said the harvest has not been very good. I ended up buying Spanish Cedar instead. That is now in the $6 range.