How much HP is too much for a 14" Bandsaw?

heck, if anything a bigger motor should reduce that by slowing down less under load.

I agree that it wouldn't hurt, and that you'd be unlikely to pull the full 2HP with that saw.

my us made bandsaw has a factory 2hp motor on it- although it's an 18" and has a tube steel frame.

the only griz bandsaw I ever used was also an 18", and IIRC it also had a 2HP motor on it. I assume that the griz 14" is a fairly generic asian delta clone.

Reply to
bridger

by the blade being pulled down through the wood by the lower wheel being turned by the motor.

the upper wheel is for tension and tracking only.

Reply to
bridger

The upper and lower wheels move in sync because of the blade tension.. Because the wheels move in sync any stretching of the blade will cause the slack to be on the gap side. The stress on C-frame is also caused by the wheels moving in sync.

Nova

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:09:55 -0500, Nova calmly ranted:

Oh, so it's the stretching that causes the stress? You lost me with your last sentence. What part of synchronization (other than the tension which puts them there) causes stress?

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

The blade stretch takes place from the point of the bind to the drive wheel. Because the wheels attempt to move in sync the added length (along with the slop caused ny the slight compression of the tires and frame flex) is transferred around both wheels to the the top of the piece being cut. Although the blade isn't fixed to the frame other than being restricted by the piece being cut, think of the wheels as acting as the cams in a compound bow.

Nova

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:38:23 -0500, Nova calmly ranted:

compound

Close, but way different. The bow flexes when the bowstring is pulled while the spring expands/releases when the blade is stretched. We're talking opposites of your theory here. The equivalent on the bow is the string, which remains at a fairly stable tension at or near the rest position. Pull the string back 2" and you have the equivalent of the bandsaw blade when the saw is turned off. Release the string and you have the equivalent of the blade during a resaw, slightly less tension and no bow flex.

The tension spring in the bandsaw takes up most of the slack and removes the necessity to flex from the frame. Unless the spring is bottomed out (full tension) or released (not involved), the frame isn't stressed much more or less by stretch.

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

Absolutely right. And, since it is torque and not power that determines the pull exerted on the blade, I guess I have about a 10 horse motor on my 14" Delta bandsaw.

Not really, of course. It's only 1 horse. But when I run it in the lowest geared speed for cutting steel, it is putting as much torque to the wheel as a

10 horse motor would at wood cutting speeds. Maybe even more. And I'll occasionally feed heavy steel pieces with enough force to slip the blade on the lower wheel.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957