how much for a hand plane

how much would you pay for this

not how much you think i should pay for it

Electric Comet

$0.00

Reply to
G. Ross

$10 if I really wanted it and it wasn't any worse looking upon close examination.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

No more than $7 more like $5

Reply to
woodchucker

Electric Comet wrote in news:mqbffl$4po$1 @dont-email.me:

Based upon the picture, it looks like a standard #4 plane. Nothing special. I'd probably pay $5 or $10 for it.

My personal theory is that a plane that looks nice will probably need as much work as a plane that looks old, so I won't pay any extra because the paint is in good condition.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Electric Comet wrote in news:mqbffl$4po$1 @dont-email.me:

$5, maybe, if I desperately needed it for something.

The red painted frog, the tinny adjuster knob, and the Craftsman label suggest it's a fairly recent vintage, lower quality plane. If so, older and better quality planes can be had for decent prices with a little searching. (OTOH, some Sears planes were made by Millers Falls and are considered good quality...can't really tell by just one picture).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

i think it makes a decent starter plane as a gift for someone just learning about woodwork

did not know that millers falls were good or not i think i have one laying around somewhere

Reply to
Electric Comet

a good starter for a potential woodworker

i bought one in the looks fine category recently and one in the could-not-tell-because-of-bad-photos category

they both turned out to be fine but the bad one has a thick layer of rust

funny thing is i think the rust did a favor to the face of the plane once i got the rust off it was nice and smooth

Reply to
Electric Comet