how much for a hand plane

how much would you pay for this
not how much you think i should pay for it
http://i.imgur.com/8pOwXxj.png
Electric Comet wrote:

--
GW Ross

Join the army, meet interesting
On 8/10/2015 7:25 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

$10 if I really wanted it and it wasn't any worse looking upon close examination.
On 8/10/2015 8:25 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

--
Jeff

Based upon the picture, it looks like a standard #4 plane. Nothing special. I'd probably pay $5 or $10 for it.
My personal theory is that a plane that looks nice will probably need as much work as a plane that looks old, so I won't pay any extra because the paint is in good condition.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 11 Aug 2015 04:40:01 GMT Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

a good starter for a potential woodworker

i bought one in the looks fine category recently and one in the could-not-tell-because-of-bad-photos category
they both turned out to be fine but the bad one has a thick layer of rust
funny thing is i think the rust did a favor to the face of the plane once i got the rust off it was nice and smooth

$5, maybe, if I desperately needed it for something.
The red painted frog, the tinny adjuster knob, and the Craftsman label suggest it's a fairly recent vintage, lower quality plane. If so, older and better quality planes can be had for decent prices with a little searching. (OTOH, some Sears planes were made by Millers Falls and are considered good quality...can't really tell by just one picture).
John
On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:55:01 +0000 (UTC)

i think it makes a decent starter plane as a gift for someone just learning about woodwork

did not know that millers falls were good or not i think i have one laying around somewhere