how many tape measures in your shop

Page 4 of 4

Yes, but you said nothing about the flashlight!
Puckdropper
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 9:51:51 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

But it sounds like his sons are pretty bright.

I bet when they were born, they were so bright he called them "sun".
Puckdropper
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 12:47:09 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

An Indian chief named Running Water had three sons.
He named them Running Hot, Running Cold and Luke.
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 3:18:50 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The tape came back home or the daughter came back home?
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 6:54:25 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Reminds me of the fishermen's club. "The first liar doesn't have a chance." ... quoted from the album "Voices From Lynchburg", a collection of different stories from the folks in Lynchburg, Tn. The fishin stories are pretty good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tennessee-Squire-Association-Voices-Of-Lynchburg-Spoken-Word-LP-SEALED-/152033547349?hash=item2365e7d455:g:KWEAAOSwT~9WjxcC
Sonny
On 4/21/2016 11:54 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

Just one in the shop (at least four or five around the how and in the car). Any more than one and there will always be disagreements among them. I use the Stanley which matches my steel ruler the best for shop work but never for precise marking.

"precise marking" with a "tape measure" is a bit of an oxymoron at the best of times.
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 16:20:15 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

long as you use the same tape measure it is fine

Your reading comprehension is poor, it seems, or you don't understand the difference between precision and repeatability.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 22:50:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

If the object is to cut board X to fit space Y or make board A the same as board B, then they're the same thing. Precision is rarely needed in woodworking. Repeatability is almost always needed.

Measuring a horizontal distance between two points in space, then transfering that measurement to material to mark and cut can require precision - not repeatability - and can be pretyy dicey.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 22:17:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Repeatability is almost always good enough - story stick. I don't have to know the numerical distance, only copy it.

At least a story stick is rigid - and in the case of cutting a 16 foot 2X10 to fit between 2 points, it's possible to use the lumber as it's own "storry stick" Hold in place, mark where to cut - and cut. Repeatability not required for a single piece. - just accuracy.. (and in most cases like this, a 128th inch is close enough anyway)
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 23:17:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We're defining the terms differently. I have a line from point A to point B and I want to cut board C fit that span. I want to repeat that distance (repeatability). I don't what to know that distance (measure accurately).
4ax.com:

That's what I was thinking. As long as 22 1/4 inchs stays in the same place on the tape, everything measured to that point will be the same length.
The problem comes in when trying to measure one thing to 22 1/4, and another to 11 1/8. There you need some level of accuracy in the tape.
John
On 4/26/2016 9:15 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Not so bad if you do the measuring and building with the same tape... But if my tape read smaller than actual and your reads bigger than actual (or vice versa) it is not going to fit right if I tell you to make a cabinet exactly 24" wide.
On 4/26/2016 10:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have actually seen tape measures that agree at some measurement distances but not at another measurement.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 14:03:19 -0700, Electric Comet

Leon had the counter to that. Of course the counter-counter is a story stick. Don't care what the scale says. ;)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 14:03:19 -0700, Electric Comet

Depends on your definition of "precision" - and you need to keep the temperature reasoably close to the same too., and make sure the tape is suppoerted - any sag will make the tape over-measure.