how many tape measures in your shop

i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

Reply to
Electric Comet

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles, trailer, basement, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I was a young carpenter trainee, my new Lufkin 25' tape broke on my 2nd day on the job. I undid the lock and the tape recoiled back into the case, as it is supposed to. When it reached the "hooked tab", the tab simply snapped off and the tape recoiled fully into the housing, rendering the unit a doorstop. I never bought another Lufkin, ever again. Even when SnapOn rebranded Lufkins as SnapOn's, I could still see they were Lufkins and wouldn't buy.

I now have two Stanley's (25'/30') and an Ace Hardware (25'), which looks suspiciously like a rebranded Stanley. These are my "real" tapes. I have a few other shorter/junkier tapes, one ina day-glo green plastic case.

Everyone is going cheap. I recall when I replaced my Lufkin with a

25' Stanley ('70), the Stanley had a fastener (nails, wood screws, etc) guide on the back of the first 2 ft of the tape. Very handy. No longer. :(

nb

Reply to
notbob

I have about 4 in the 6 to 12' range, and thinking of adding another, as I still can not find one when I need it. I also have 3 more in the 12 to 50' range, that stay put so I don't need as many in any one range.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the ones on the workbench shelf.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I usta carry my golfcart key ona day-glo orange 3' tape measurer keyring. I must have about half a dozen cheapo tapes. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:nfb2ao$1jan$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Just one. Work stops until I find it, which means it never gets burried. Sometimes something gets put on top of it, but it doesn't stay that way for long.

I've another one out on the layout, no idea where it is. When I measure out there, it's usually with calipers.

One or two in the tool bag in the car (I don't remember if it's just the little one, or if I picked up a HF freebie for it. I need to if I haven't, but if I have I don't need to.)

Hey, maybe next April Lee Valley will come out with a folding story stick!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Thinking about this for a moment I've got to wonder what this obsession with measuring is all about... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Electric Comet wrote in news:nfat1u$g74$6 @dont-email.me:

Probably 3. They tend to appear and disappear randomly (plus I think my girlfriend has my "big numbers" Lee Valley tape). Plus one in the truck.

I don't use them all that much - most measurements I use either the 16" rule on my combination square, or a 4' steel rule.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I can't even tell you where most of them came from. I know I bought the Stanley Max 30', and the 2 (3?) HF's were free, but the smaller ones (15', 10', even 3') just sort of appeared over the years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How many? What an odd question. I suppose, though, they ARE countable, in some sense.

One in the living room, one in the dining room, two in the shop smock, two next to the drill press, one with the table saw, and probably a dozen others in useful places (or what I once deemed to be useful places).

They aren't exactly like pencils, because I can't put one in each pencil/pen mug. Wrong shape.

Reply to
whit3rd

Ah, so my favorite is a 6' one, 3/16" wide (blade) and 1 3/4" in total diameter (I just measured it with itself--I started to reach for a ruler, but that's a long story...). You can carry in your pocket without any inconvenience. Perfect for toting with you. A present from dad (no doubt, free from ACO). He said, "Here take this, and you'll find it useful someday.". And he was right..

Reply to
Bill

Just don't use a cloth tape. They stretch. Measuring tapes that stretch will give you inaccurate numbers. DAMHIKT

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It does not matter how many you have. It matters that they all measure the same, and those need to measure the same as the rule on your TS.

Reply to
Leon

Fishing and dick size?

Reply to
Markem

Actually from most things you can create a pattern without a tape, and then use the pattern to make the rest of the item you are making.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

That is what got me thinking... marking gauge, sliding bevel, dividers, story sticks... those are typically how I work with hand tool projects. On the other hand, when working with sheet goods it helps a lot to cut things right. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I think the real answer for most guys is "not sure - they keep appearing and dissappearing"

I know I have 2 "good" ones and somewhere around half a dozen "roamers" which tend to migrate to the truck one month, the basement the next, and then scatter to the far corners of the property for a while before congregating in the garage or on my dresser - - - - .

Reply to
clare

Must be fun when you start cutting 2X4s or 4X8 sheets for a renovation job!!!!

Reply to
clare

They don't fit too well behind your ears either - - -

Reply to
clare