how many tape measures in your shop

Page 1 of 4
i count 5 tape measures in the shop
the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and craftsmen
hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 11:57:01 AM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

2 in the shop, at the moment.
Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles, trailer, basement, etc.
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the ones on the workbench shelf.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

I usta carry my golfcart key ona day-glo orange 3' tape measurer keyring. I must have about half a dozen cheapo tapes. ;)
nb
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

Thinking about this for a moment I've got to wonder what this obsession with measuring is all about... ;~)
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 2:27:25 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:

I can't even tell you where most of them came from. I know I bought the Stanley Max 30', and the 2 (3?) HF's were free, but the smaller ones (15', 10', even 3') just sort of appeared over the years.
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 14:27:32 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

Fishing and dick size?

Actually from most things you can create a pattern without a tape, and then use the pattern to make the rest of the item you are making.
"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message

That is what got me thinking... marking gauge, sliding bevel, dividers, story sticks... those are typically how I work with hand tool projects. On the other hand, when working with sheet goods it helps a lot to cut things right. ;~)
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 14:27:32 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

It's the only way I can be sure that mine's bigger than yours. ;-)

Stanley 3-footer as a fob on my car keys. Invaluable for those spur-of-the-moment needs to measure something.
Funny thing was that I bought this from Amazon ($1.89) to fill an order and reach the magic (at that time) $25 free shipping limit. It was shipped as a separate item, in a 12"x10"x6" box via UPS. Very well packed/protected from shipping damage to their credit..
-BR

one. ;-)
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:00:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Yup. I treat them like pencils. I salt every place I'm likely to need a rule with enough that there's always one in sight. ;-)

Speaking of "in sight", one thing I'm sure of: where/whenever I find a tape, I know I'll find some "cheaters", nearby. ;)
nb

I fixed that problem by needing glasses full time. My eyes went from 20:15 to can't read without prescription glasses in less than a year.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

I'm still 20:15. The trouble is that I'm not 20:15 at any distance that's _useful_ anymore. Far away it's a blur, up close it's a blur, but a couple of feet farther than I can reach it's needle sharp.
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 12:21:24 -0400, "J. Clarke"

When I was a young carpenter trainee, my new Lufkin 25' tape broke on my 2nd day on the job. I undid the lock and the tape recoiled back into the case, as it is supposed to. When it reached the "hooked tab", the tab simply snapped off and the tape recoiled fully into the housing, rendering the unit a doorstop. I never bought another Lufkin, ever again. Even when SnapOn rebranded Lufkins as SnapOn's, I could still see they were Lufkins and wouldn't buy.
I now have two Stanley's (25'/30') and an Ace Hardware (25'), which looks suspiciously like a rebranded Stanley. These are my "real" tapes. I have a few other shorter/junkier tapes, one ina day-glo green plastic case.
Everyone is going cheap. I recall when I replaced my Lufkin with a 25' Stanley ('70), the Stanley had a fastener (nails, wood screws, etc) guide on the back of the first 2 ft of the tape. Very handy. No longer. :(
nb
On 4/21/2016 12:54 PM, notbob wrote:

I have a lufkin that is probably 45 years old and it's still strong. Not my favorite, it's an old center button lock.
But I think any tape can do that, especially one with a tightly wound spring.
I have Stanley lever locks (which I like), but now I prefer my Komelon. It occasionally needs an alcohol cleaning to keep from slipping, but I like the mechanism, and tape. Light weight too.
--
Jeff