How many of you paint your projects?

Sounds like most of my projects. I'm in Tampa and as you note, the look of natural wood just doesn't work well with the "Florida style". Most of my stuff is made of poplar, MDF, plywood, and for outdoor pieces, pressure treated. I build it and SWMBO paints it. I once made some hand mirrors out of hard maple as gifts, and they got painted to match the recipients decor.
-------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C Clarke
looks like ten or twelve, thereabouts.