How many 6" jointer threads can we have? 1 more :)

Page 2 of 2

And, as long as we're going there, I can get a 12" Grizzly G4178 for $2103 to my door, or G9860 for $2,653.00!
Brian wrote:

Someone in marketing slipped up editing the copy for this one. A helical 8" wide head with only 3 blades:-) Joe

I think it depends on the level of the tool. Grizzly "industrial" stuff is nearly the same price as "name brand" stuff, and of decent quality. It's the low-end consumer grade stuff that's cheaper. I was recently noticing that I can get a DJ-30 and a Grizzly 12" jointer for about the same price.
Higher end Delta stuff compares favorably with General and Powermatic. Lower end Delta stuff is crap, lower end Powermatic is often gold painted Jet, and General International is the same as Grizzly.
I have some of each! <G>
Barry
Hello George. Depends on what you call young :) I've been all over the classifieds, in fact that's where I picked up the table saw. Thanks for your input on Jet.
George wrote:

I wouldn't consider a bandsaw an immediate need. Maybe not even a drill press depending on what immediate projects you have planned. No, I'd say save the money for a good planer (I like Dewalt's DW735), and a nice router (if you don't have one). Add a router table to the top of your project list, and then slowly add the additional tools to your arsenal as needed.
Brian.

Well, the first plan I would like to do is: http://www.woodsmithstore.com/heirloomcrib.html
I inquired about the recommended tool list and this is what they replied with:
Table saw (or radial arm saw) Dado blade Band saw (or sabre saw) Jointer (or hand plane) Router and router table with 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" roundover bits, 3/8" spiral end mill bit, edge guide Drill press with 1/8", 3/32", 3/16", 3/8" and 13/32" bits, countersink bit, sanding drum Framing square Pipe or bar clamps Small bar clamps or C-clamps
This probably isn't a beginner project but at least it's step by step :)
Brian wrote:

Right, not a beginner project. I recently made a crib, too. Time consuming, but very repetetive. Fun project, in the end.
Brian.

Nonetheless, what you make of the recommended tool list?
Brian wrote:

You have the table saw already, right?
The dado stack should cost about $100 (Freud SD208 will do nicely; there are others. And you'll use this for many other projects.
I don't see where this project would require a band saw. There are only two pieces with curves, and there are many ways to make those curves, without spending the money on the band saw. That said, you MAY in the future decide you need a band saw; just not for this project.
If you have your tablesaw properly set up, there won't be all that much for the jointer to have to do. Mostly, cleaning up the rip surfaces on the many, many, many boards. Sanding, a good handplane (#5 or larger), a 'glue-line rip' blade, your new router table...
The router is a necessary tool. Buy a good one. Make your own table and simple fence. Do you homework at www.patwarner.com. I don't know of anybody more knowledgable, or more pragmatic, regarding these useful tools, than Pat. Should you decide that you wish to do business with him, for some of his goodies, you will find him refreshingly easy and straightforward to work with.
The drill press is a useful tool, although you could probably get by with an electric hand drill, unless the plans have you cutting a bunch of mortises with the drill press. Since there are a bunch of ways to do this joinery, and I haven't seen THESE plans, it's hard to tell. I bought a $350 floor standing variable speed Delta last winter, and have been pleasantly surprised by just how much use I've gotten from it. A benchtop model on a rolling stand might be just fine for your needs.
Clamps. Clamps. Clamps. Can't have too many. You CAN have the wrong kind, and you can spend a lot more than you need to. But that wasn't really what you were asking about in this list, was it?
What I see missing, at least from my perception of how I would build this project, is a means of repeatably thicknessing stock to size. A benchtop size planer, with a stand, would be on my list. I have been very satisfied with the Emerson-era Ridgid TP 1300 I got at Home Depot. Lots of folks who hang out here have expressed opinions on planers. Check them out.
Have fun with this, and more importantly, congratulations on the addition to the family!
Patriarch

Table Saw's one of the four cornerstone tools in a shop. This would be on my "Buy First" list.

If budget is very tight - you can get by without this. If budget is tight, and you've got a lot of dados to cut - there are inexpensive, but workable offeringes. This would be on my "Buy Third" list.

That said, I got along for a year with a good jigsaw (Bosch, Milwaukee). I got along for another few months with a $99 Delta Shopmaster Bandsaw from Lowes. When I popped for the 14" Jet - things got much easier. This would be on my "Buy Second" list.

Again - if you buy it - you'll find yourself using it all of the time. But you can buy S4S, or use the other tools to get by. This would be on my "Buy Second" list.

See www.patwarner.com for recommendations on a good first router. I would not buy a router table immediately. I would buy the bits as I need them. I use 1/8" roundover a-lot! I use 1/4 and 1/2" roundovers much less.

Hmm - edge guide not necessarily on my buy-first list. One came with my PC router kit (PC 693VSPK) and I've never used it it. Spiral bit? Yes - I use my Whiteside flush trim spiral up-cut alot.

I went with a 12" reconditioned Delta Benchtop for $125 from ToolKing and do not regret it.
When it comes to bits - you should *invest* in a good set of one of: Brad Points, Forstners and "regular' plain 'ol" bits. I invested in a good set of Brad Points (WL Fuller and Lee Valley have good ones). I went with a cheap set of Forstners (and have been replacing them one at a time, as needed, with better ones). For regular bits, I like to pick up Black and Decker sets from WalMart. I don't feel bad about tossing them when they're dull.

you'll need something like an accurate combination square. I invested in a Starrett.

I started off with some Harbor Freight and Big Lot bar clamps. Super cheap. Slowly, they're getting replaced with Besseys (I do like those new Irwin bar clamps!) I wouldn't buy a ton of C-clamps, maybe four tops. They have limited use in furniture making (they can squeeze too hard). Nor am I a fan of pipe clamps, I prefer bar clamps.

This is exactly how I do mortising. Spiral upcut bit and edge guide with plunge router. Very handy.

I have had my JET for about 3 months now and I'm very happy with it. Of course, I worked the now expired rebate JET was offering and got the jointer and mobile base for $430 after rebate (mild drive-by gloat).
My first choice was a Yorkcraft but shipping killed the deal (was quoted $150). My second other choice was a Sunhill but the waiting list was too long (I would still be waiting for it, I think).
in message

Yeah, Sunhill is a joke.
Brian.

Not to start an argument, but... :) My joke has been a great purchase. Others have mentioned long waits, and I did wait a short time for mine to be delivered, but the machine is excellent for the price. It was worth the wait. That said, I'm sure others, of equal or greater quality, possibly without the wait, are available.
Brian
Wasn't a knock on the machinery, as I'm sure it is up to par with all the other Chinese imports. But the joke is their service rep saying "next week" for months on end.
Brian.

Yeah, I wanted to point out that the machine is fine. I didn't have to wait for months, but I am hearing more and more stories of that kind of service. It's a shame. I hope they get their act together.
Brian
Did you get your check? I'm still waiting for mine, purchased in April. Yes, the Jet is a nice machine, but I lust for a DJ-20 (the aircraft carrier).
--
Jim Murphy

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:12:40 -0400, Jim Murphy wrote:

Yes, I did. It came about 6 weeks after I submitted the claim form.
B a r r y wrote:

Barry, pardon me for interrupting, but I think the point of the post was to discuss comparisons within the same "class" of tool. The DJ-15 is both more expensive and designed differently than other 8" "Chiwanese" jointers. I believe the accurate comparison between Grizzly, Jet and Delta 8" models, from both a price and design standpoint, would include Delta's 37-380 8" model instead. The Delta DJ15 and DJ20 are steps above and beyond the point of the disccusion, with all due respect.
-Ronn

Exactly. A local guy recently could not sell a used DJ-15, as none of his ad responders knew what it was.
He was asking $400 when it finally sold. <G>
Barry