How many 6" jointer threads can we have? 1 more :)

I had the delta benchtop model but returned it. I was real close to getting a Ridgid jointer and Drill press but due to a horrible experience with Home Depot they have lost a customer for life. I understand Ridgid can now be bought from other select companies but I've grown concerned about any potential parts replacement down the road due to the changes in Ridgid. So here I am, back to sqaure one. I'm spent a bit of time searching groups.google on rec.woodworking and what this is a list of recommended jointers by most:

Yorkcraft / Bridgewood [shipping quote was 105$ :( ] Jet Shop Fox / Grizzly Ridgid

This basically rounds up the most recommended list. If I have left any out please add them. I'm just looking for some guidance here. I'm trying to equip my shop with the 5 basic (table saw, jointer, planer, drill press and band saw) and so far I only have a table saw (Ridgid TS2424). I was pretty close to buying all ridgid, and I would have prefered to do just that. However, Home Depot got in the way of that.

Reply to
John Smith

Like I said last time you asked, the Grizzlys are nice machines. I know plenty of woodworkers who use Griz 6" and are more than pleased.

I'd avoid Ridgid anyhow. But that's just me.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks Brian... Got any good info on the other 3 needed components? (band saw, drill press and planer). I'm just starting out, just merely a hobby but I've been burned enough times on low-end stuff, so I'll buy quality this time :)

Brian wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

You a young fellow? Get the JET. Jointer's a basic tool that lasts forever. I've had a couple bad Grizz jointers in the neighborhood, and the cost difference isn't going to matter after a year or two of use. The JET may not be the machine my 4" Rockwell was, but it's pretty nice. Consider the less expensive open stand machines over closed stands, which, especially with the Grizzly jointer, is pretty flimsy. If you make your own cabinets you reuse floor space you'd waste otherwise, learn some woodworking along the way, and can plan your tool heights for a more efficient shop.

Start haunting the want ads for old machines for future purchases.

The Ridgid in the Emerson version was highly rated in every test I've seen.

Reply to
George

I have had my JET for about 3 months now and I'm very happy with it. Of course, I worked the now expired rebate JET was offering and got the jointer and mobile base for $430 after rebate (mild drive-by gloat).

My first choice was a Yorkcraft but shipping killed the deal (was quoted $150). My second other choice was a Sunhill but the waiting list was too long (I would still be waiting for it, I think).

Reply to
Newbie Woodworker

There are problems with every brand across the board, you name it. Jet, Delta, Grizzly, it doesn't matter. These days they all come from the same place for the most part. Probably even the same factory for all we know. And Grizzly has the upside of excellent customer service if and when problems do arise. I now own a Grizzly cabinet saw, Grizzly 8" jointer, and Grizzly Combo Nail/Staple gun. All excellent.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I wouldn't consider a bandsaw an immediate need. Maybe not even a drill press depending on what immediate projects you have planned. No, I'd say save the money for a good planer (I like Dewalt's DW735), and a nice router (if you don't have one). Add a router table to the top of your project list, and then slowly add the additional tools to your arsenal as needed.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Yeah, Sunhill is a joke.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Well, the first plan I would like to do is:

inquired about the recommended tool list and this is what they replied with:

Table saw (or radial arm saw) Dado blade Band saw (or sabre saw) Jointer (or hand plane) Router and router table with 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" roundover bits, 3/8" spiral end mill bit, edge guide Drill press with 1/8", 3/32", 3/16", 3/8" and 13/32" bits, countersink bit, sanding drum Framing square Pipe or bar clamps Small bar clamps or C-clamps

This probably isn't a beginner project but at least it's step by step :)

Brian wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

I agree with this for sure. I'm torn deciding on whether I "need" the handwheels? The Grizzly G1182HW has those but I've heard there is quite a bit of assembly required on these, and perhaps adjustments? I'd prefer to do as little as possible, if that's even possible in these models.

Brian wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

I have the G0500, which is basically the G1182HW with longer beds and bigger motor. Oh, and 4 knife cutterhead. I assume, however, that setup is roughly the same. And I will tell you it was no walk in the park. It just takes a while. I really didn't have to make any adjustments, however. The jointer was accurate right out of the box. So once I finished setup, I was off and running.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Right, not a beginner project. I recently made a crib, too. Time consuming, but very repetetive. Fun project, in the end.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Sorry, I was thinking 1018HW... Disregard my comment about similarities...

In any event, I don't find handwheels to be any advantage over levers. Both work just fine IME. Mine just happens to have handwheels.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Nonetheless, what you make of the recommended tool list?

Brian wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

Hello George. Depends on what you call young :) I've been all over the classifieds, in fact that's where I picked up the table saw. Thanks for your input on Jet.

George wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

Yep. That customer service has furnished our school shop with a lot of replacement parts. None have improved the poorly annealed castings or flimsy design/construction one iota. Finally gave up on the bandsaw, jointer, and drill press. Still struggling with the belt/disc (worthless because table is) sander.

Planer works good.

Think the difference is in quality control at the outset. For instance, in the stamping plant, you could have more defects in a Ford part than the same for a Mercury nameplate.

Reply to
George

I don't buy it. Have seen too many Griz, Delta, Jet side by side. Move up to General or Powermatic, and then we have something to talk about.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Did you get your check? I'm still waiting for mine, purchased in April. Yes, the Jet is a nice machine, but I lust for a DJ-20 (the aircraft carrier).

Reply to
Jim Murphy

Hogwash. Unless you're speaking of General International, you're setting up straw men.

The discussion was about Grizzly and Chiwan clones.

Reply to
George

I went with the handwheels - but only because it was the Jet 6" and the price was too low to pass up (closeout at a local retailer). I too

*thought* handwheels would be more useful than levels, but it turns out I've set the depth once, for a light cut, (about 8 months) ago and almost never touched it again.

I buy S3S so that may have something to do with it. But now I believe, handwheels or levers would be no-big-diff.

Reply to
patrick conroy