How many 6" jointer threads can we have? 1 more :)

Page 1 of 2
I had the delta benchtop model but returned it. I was real close to getting a Ridgid jointer and Drill press but due to a horrible experience with Home Depot they have lost a customer for life. I understand Ridgid can now be bought from other select companies but I've grown concerned about any potential parts replacement down the road due to the changes in Ridgid. So here I am, back to sqaure one. I'm spent a bit of time searching groups.google on rec.woodworking and what this is a list of recommended jointers by most:
Yorkcraft / Bridgewood [shipping quote was 105$ :( ] Jet Shop Fox / Grizzly Ridgid
This basically rounds up the most recommended list. If I have left any out please add them. I'm just looking for some guidance here. I'm trying to equip my shop with the 5 basic (table saw, jointer, planer, drill press and band saw) and so far I only have a table saw (Ridgid TS2424). I was pretty close to buying all ridgid, and I would have prefered to do just that. However, Home Depot got in the way of that.
Like I said last time you asked, the Grizzlys are nice machines. I know plenty of woodworkers who use Griz 6" and are more than pleased.
I'd avoid Ridgid anyhow. But that's just me.
Brian.

Thanks Brian... Got any good info on the other 3 needed components? (band saw, drill press and planer). I'm just starting out, just merely a hobby but I've been burned enough times on low-end stuff, so I'll buy quality this time :)
Brian wrote:

You a young fellow? Get the JET. Jointer's a basic tool that lasts forever. I've had a couple bad Grizz jointers in the neighborhood, and the cost difference isn't going to matter after a year or two of use. The JET may not be the machine my 4" Rockwell was, but it's pretty nice. Consider the less expensive open stand machines over closed stands, which, especially with the Grizzly jointer, is pretty flimsy. If you make your own cabinets you reuse floor space you'd waste otherwise, learn some woodworking along the way, and can plan your tool heights for a more efficient shop.
Start haunting the want ads for old machines for future purchases.
The Ridgid in the Emerson version was highly rated in every test I've seen.

There are problems with every brand across the board, you name it. Jet, Delta, Grizzly, it doesn't matter. These days they all come from the same place for the most part. Probably even the same factory for all we know. And Grizzly has the upside of excellent customer service if and when problems do arise. I now own a Grizzly cabinet saw, Grizzly 8" jointer, and Grizzly Combo Nail/Staple gun. All excellent.
Brian.

I agree with this for sure. I'm torn deciding on whether I "need" the handwheels? The Grizzly G1182HW has those but I've heard there is quite a bit of assembly required on these, and perhaps adjustments? I'd prefer to do as little as possible, if that's even possible in these models.
Brian wrote:

I have the G0500, which is basically the G1182HW with longer beds and bigger motor. Oh, and 4 knife cutterhead. I assume, however, that setup is roughly the same. And I will tell you it was no walk in the park. It just takes a while. I really didn't have to make any adjustments, however. The jointer was accurate right out of the box. So once I finished setup, I was off and running.
Brian.
Sorry, I was thinking 1018HW... Disregard my comment about similarities...
In any event, I don't find handwheels to be any advantage over levers. Both work just fine IME. Mine just happens to have handwheels.
Brian.

I went with the handwheels - but only because it was the Jet 6" and the price was too low to pass up (closeout at a local retailer). I too *thought* handwheels would be more useful than levels, but it turns out I've set the depth once, for a light cut, (about 8 months) ago and almost never touched it again.
I buy S3S so that may have something to do with it. But now I believe, handwheels or levers would be no-big-diff.
Yep. That customer service has furnished our school shop with a lot of replacement parts. None have improved the poorly annealed castings or flimsy design/construction one iota. Finally gave up on the bandsaw, jointer, and drill press. Still struggling with the belt/disc (worthless because table is) sander.
Planer works good.
Think the difference is in quality control at the outset. For instance, in the stamping plant, you could have more defects in a Ford part than the same for a Mercury nameplate.

I don't buy it. Have seen too many Griz, Delta, Jet side by side. Move up to General or Powermatic, and then we have something to talk about.
Brian.
Hogwash. Unless you're speaking of General International, you're setting up straw men.
The discussion was about Grizzly and Chiwan clones.

Again, all the chinese/taiwanese imports are very alike. Griz and Delta and Jet and side by side reveal very little difference in terms of castings of the trunions, tables, etc in the realm of cabinet saws, jointers, etc. Been there, done that. It's the same stuff, and in fact so similar I'd be hard pressed to believe most of it didn't come from the same factory abroad. These machines are spec'ed the same, feel the same while operating, and for the most part look the same down to the nitty gritties. My point was simply that to truly differentiate these machines from others, one would have to bring General International or Powermatic into play for real uniqueness. Because once you move down from there to albeit lower priced metal, you're getting damn close to the same thing from just about any branded tool.
Brian.

Ever see a DJ-15? <G>
Barry

Sure. Ever see a G9859? <G>
Brian.

I have now!
I brought up the DJ-15 because it's so different than the typical Chiwanese 6" machine that this thread is about.
What would a $2000 8" machine have to do with them?
Barry

Nothing, really. Grizzly hasn't produced a 6" with this design. But now, consider the DJ-20. Prior to freight charges, its darn close to G9859. So an in-depth comparison of the two would be quite interesting. I *think* they use the (exact) same non-dovetailed table adjusting mechanism (is there a name for it?). Sure does make ya wonder.
Brian.

It is very similar The Grizz dosen't have the DJ-20's kick ass infeed table, but I think it has more power. Then there's the lever vs. wheel preference thing. Having used both, I can really care less which one a jointer has.
What's really weird is that I can buy a DJ-20 locally for $1350. The Grizz is $2156 delivered. I can get a DJ-30 for about $2400! <G>
This makes my point dead on about Grizzly's higher end tools. They really AREN'T cheaper than the "Name Brand" folks when you compare apples to apples, but they look nice. I think you gets what you payz for, no matter who makes it.
That Grizz really looks like a nice tool, do you have one?
Barry

No. I have a lowly G0500. ;-) Love it, though. So smooth. I've seen that one in action though. It is impressive.
Brian.

Actually, the G9859 is $1959 delivered if you buy today! <G>
Brian.