How Long Is Too Long To Wait?

Page 2 of 3

It's costing the OP money -- AmEx is charging him interest from the day the charge was posted.

Whoa fellas! I do appreciate everyone's response, but I didn't mean to start a riot here. I don't think I'm getting scammed. The outfit is well known and as near I can tell, well respected. As such, I'll hold tight for a few more days. BTW, Amex isn't charging me interest...as long as I pay my bill at least. If push comes to shove and it continues to drag out, I'll just contest the charge with Amex until I get a firm date from the seller.
I suppose the point of my original post was to ask if a two or three week lead time on a Unisaw was normal.
Rob
Rob,
I'm sure you are level headed and will politely ignore some of the radical ideas that some have posted here! :)
We aren't rioting, exactly; I for one am trying to get the hot heads to calm down and stop advocating extreme measures to a not so extreme situation, that's all...
Let us know when your Uni is delivered. I got some really good tips from here when I got mine. Had I not followed their tips, I might have screwed up the saw. As an example, expect to have a hell of a time getting the blade onto the arbor. You'll need to GENTLY smooth the threads with crocus cloth or other abrasive first. Once you take the blade off/on a few times, it'll become easy. Delta doesn't want your blade slopping around on the arbor.
dave
Rob Walters wrote:

Rob Walters wrote:

I waited twenty years for mine. A couple/few weeks seems light speed to me..
UA100
Doug Miller wrote:

Is everyone sure it's a "charge" & not a "hold"? IIRC Dell did that to my credit card when I ordered a computer. Dell was saying to Visa, "We got dibs on $xxx of his credit card." The card wasn't actually *charged* until shipment.
-- Mark
"Mark Jerde" wrote in message

A famous/infamous ploy of hotels and rental car companies.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04
Swingman wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:02:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You must have a different American Express card than I do, or don't have any experience with them at all, in which case you shouldn't have posted about them. AmEx isn't like other revolving accounts. The balance is required to be paid in full each month, however; a practice I employ with each of my credit cards. Even if you're late they don't charge interest.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Mine was the same, but right before I canned them, they made a change. American Excess started sticking all purchases over $100 on "Sign and Travel", even though it wasn't travel related. If you didn't pay every cent of those purchases, they added something like 18% APR to the whole purchase.
I carried one for ten years, paid off every nickel every month, and canned them for several reasons. First, I thought their fees became exorbitant for the "privilege" of carrying their card. Second, merchants in my area have stopped accepting Amex due the fee beating they take, which is sometimes double Mastercard and Visa's. Third, due to a misspelling in my address, I learned how many thousands of other companies Amex was giving / renting / selling my personal info to. <G>
They were very good with disputes, but not necessarily better than any other card I've had.
Barry
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:29:31 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Maybe he _should_ *call* and see if the item is in transit. If the item is in *transit*, the company has done nothing wrong. I might be wrong, but I thought he bought this saw at a show, not a local dealer. It may be drop shipped directly from Delta.
Heck, I've had a tiny cell phone that was shipped UPS ground take 10 days to cross the US.
Barry

Maybe _you_ should *READ* the original post. Carefully, and in its entirety. <grin>
The OP said that they said the machine would be available at the store, "for him to pick-up".

If it is 'in transit' *TO*THE*STORE*, they cannot legally charge his card -- until it actually arrives at the store. When you sell something that is 'not in stock', the situation is known As a 'back order', and there are *specific* FTC regulations on that subject.

You are wrong. :) The Original poster stated that it *was* a 'local dealer' that was exhibiting at the show.

Can't imagine why they'd tell him to "pick it up at the store", *if* that were the case. <grin>
Not really SURE if it is illegal to charge the card BEFORE delivery in the US, I thought there WAS a limit as to how far in advance they could charge - something like 4-6weeks
It MAY be illegal in your state, but I am pretty sure that there is not a NATION WIDE law prohibiting this as long as the period between ordering/being charged and delivery is within the limits
If you know of a fed law/nationwide law, please post details on it and WHERE it can be referenced
John
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:07:34 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

It's in the FTC rules in support of the "Fair Credit Billing Act".
Applies to telephone, mail-order, and on-line sales. Must ship on-or-before the 'promised' (if no specific date promised, then 30 days from the date of sale) ship date, or (by that date) give the customer _written_ means to cancel the order.
However, all the major credit-cards -- I have first-hand experience, as a merchant, with VISA, MASTERCARD, AMEX, DISCOVER, and DINERS CLUB; don't know about Carte Blanche or Nova (Novus?) -- have terms in their contract that forbid charging the card before the product is ready for the customer. i.e. the product is 'shipped', or 'available for pickup'.
Violating same is a _real_ good way to lose your ability to take credit cards. Some of the card issuers will give you the benefit of the doubt, _once_, others are not that generous.

I'm_just_wondering_how_much_of_a_pain_in_the_ass_is_it to_write_like_this_?
U_A_1_0_0
Unisaw A100 wrote:

For_us_kornPuter_programmers_it_is_no_big_deal = 1 ' <g>
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

As a Vendor, if "I" tell someone that, then they can expect me to keep my word. If not I would be in contact with them rather than the other way around. Simple customer courtesy in my book.
From the consumer's standpoint, you have 30 - 60 days to contest the charge on your card or else you lose that right. This varies from card to card. If you are not comfortable with the situation, contest the charge and inform the vendor that you have done so to protect yourself. You can always reverse it later if it was a simple error on their part.

Maybe you should check with the people you bought the saw from first, or did you and you are leaving that part out?
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:55:56 -0500, Mike G wrote:

Actually, I have checked with them every other day or so for the past week or so. I called last Wednesday and I was told it would be in by last Friday so I called last Friday and was told that it would be the first part of next week. I called on Tuesday and was told that their shipment of new stuff from Delta hadn't arrived but that they had received a truckload of reconditioned gear and that they expected the new stuff by the end of the week.
I called today before I left work (was waiting to see if they were going to leave me a voice mail at home) and was told that they had received confirmation from Delta that the new stuff they ordered to fill orders from the show left yesterday (Thursday) and would be in on Monday, Tuesday at the latest. Granted, at this point I'm stuck until next Friday as I'm about an hour or so from this particular vendor and won't be able to pick it up during the week, but at least I have someone saying that they did indeed get word from Delta that the stuff is on the way.
Now, all that notwithstanding, if the saw isn't in my garage ... err ... shop on Saturday, I'm gonna get pissed. But I'll reserve that rant until that time. I'm not trying to slam the people I bought the saw from, although I'm a bit put off by the "it'll be here on whatever day" run around I've gotten, and I have expressed that to them. But they have been very polite and professional about it, apologized profusely and all that good stuff. So for now I'll just sit tight.
Rob
http://www.amateurtermite.com
Well, in that case it sounds like you have every reason to be pissed but it doesn't sound like there is much you can do about it but cancel the order because they didn't fulfill their part of the bargain. Lean on them a bit when it comes in and see if you can get a freebie or two. Maybe a zero clearance insert, feather board, something along that line.
Wishing you luck.