how long in the clamps

i do twenty four hours or more

overnight is top vote getter

guess overnight means twelve hours or so

Reply to
Electric Comet

i do twenty four hours or more

overnight is top vote getter

guess overnight means twelve hours or so

Just a hobbyist but I've done doors and drawers for two kitchens (30 to 40 doors and 15 - 20 drawers each) and I've only ever waited the 30 minutes using Titebond. I simply didn't have that many clamps to wait overnight. I setup a large 4'x8' work table (torsion top on saw horses) in my garage and went into production mode. Stacks of rails and stiles and raised panels at one end.

Layout pieces for door on table, inspect joints, apply glue, tap panel together, clamp and check for square. Set aside to dry. With 4 sets of clamps I would do a door approx. every 10 to 15 minutes. I was able to continue the whole process until done over a 2 day period without running out of clamps and having to wait. After 15 minutes, I would go back to the last glue-up and scrape off any squeeze out while semi-soft and hit with a damp rag.

Granted, they sat overnight before any further work was done. Fresh glue, tight joints and know in advance (dry run practice) how you are going to do the glue-up. ( a 7' long pantry door taught me that - real quick....)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

Good for you. Most smart people read the label on the adhesive container and follow the instructions for clamping time.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have 5 different Titebond glues, none are the polyurethane type.

All say a minimum of 30 minutes or 30~45 minutes clamping time and not to stress the joint for 24 hours.

A longer clamping time than recommended does not hurt but probably adds little to no benefit.

Reply to
Leon

If you click on the " Tech " link on the web page below - it takes you to a couple of handy reference charts.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

from the poll looks to be about 20% of others that wait the same time

i need to make a torsion top but i have to figure out how to make a foldable one to be out of the way

or maybe sectional instead of foldable using detachable hinges

Reply to
Electric Comet