how long before I can whine?

Page 2 of 2
Mark Jerde wrote:

I can't remember what the dongle was for. It was Dad's. Something for work. In the '80s, I think.
I'm glad dongles are dead.
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:31:18 -0500, Silvan

I think AutoCad started that and most high-end accounting programs used them for awhile. Truly sucky things.

They're not. http://tinyurl.com/3xt8x
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. -------------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:13:22 GMT, Larry Jaques

I think autocad was one of the early ones to realize that by getting rid of the dongle and making their product easier to pirate their market share would increase. microsoft was another. adobe was another.
some of those people who learned on pirated copies went out and got jobs using those programs.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Peach Tree maybe. Definitely not CAD anything. Dad is a grocer.
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:31:18 -0500, Silvan

Actually, I'd rather see a USB dongle for copy protection on Win XP than the stuff they're doing now.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

Well, yeah, I'll agree with that. I wasn't stealing Windows, and theoretically had "nothing to fear" from all those measures, but I found them a pill too bitter to swallow just on principle. Instead of XP, I switched to Linux.
Unfortunately, Microsoft never noticed that they lost a customer. It felt good anyway. Enough is enough.
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:13:10 -0500, Silvan

I keep trying to switch to Linux, but the software I need just isn't out there. If the Linux community could come up with a one disk, automatic install that would be as easy to install and configure as XP they could give MS a run for their money. It really wouldn't take too big a customer base to start seeing a lot of commercial software ported to Linux.
I spent a lot of years making Unix, Linux, VMS, RSTS, NT4.0 systems and networks function. Now I just need something that works without me tying to remember all sorts of weird configuration stuff.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com