How It's Made

Page 2 of 2

I was working on a custom-build kitchen for a local doctor, a psychiatrist. He had some serious problems with a roofing contractor, and just laid into the contractor during a phone-call. He called him every name in the book, made fun of his mother, the works. When he, the normaly quite reserved doctor, slammed down the phone he looked at me, flashed an ear-to-ear smile and said " Damn, that was immature of me, but it felt GREAT!"
Immature is good...especially when it comes to humour.
Well, so far I have 7 seasons. The are made for the US market I assume. The same voice over for all the seasons.
I also have 6 seasons of the Canadian shows, and the host kinda sucks.
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:54:55 GMT, Brian Henderson

The Pine Cone Turkey episode was my favorite.
B.

Just saw an episode showing how violins are made. Helt together totally with glue, and expected to last, and be used, for hundreds of years. Amazing amount of hand work done on one, and even more amazing, some of the very small planes used, and other tools. Neat.
The same episode showed how one of the most important articles in the world is made. I'm speaking, of course, of toiet paper. The show claimed it's sold in packs of up to 30 rolls, but I've never seen larger than a 24 pack. Heh heh, about a week ago 24 packs were on sale in my local grocery store, so I got 3, all they had. Marked down to $4.99 a 24 pack, and a day or so later the price was $5.99 a 24 pack. Usual price is $7.99 a 24 pack. Some of the smaller packs are as much as $10.99 - and they're maybe 12 rolls. They stock a lot of those one equals three packs too. I've never found that true. I always wind up folding about 6 layers, same as the regular rolls. Life is good when you know you've got spare roll of TP. Plus, when I open a pack, I like to stack the rolls in different forms. Sometimes it's just the small things that make likf good.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small

That was a great episode! The only one better than I watched (woodworking oriented anyhow) was the hand held piano thing with the baffle... er... it has a name... Wait a sec... Accordian! That's it...
Can't wait until they make them available on DVD via Blockbuster or Netflix...
V8013-R
On Feb 13, 7:47 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Joat, I have watched "How Its Made" and find it interesting. The camera moves pretty fast and you don't get much time to see details. I suspect that manufacturing companies are concerned with industrial espionage and limit what they allow to be filmed. I'm sure they keep anything they consider state of the art or proprietary out of range of the lens, and who can blame them. Joe G
GROVER wrote:

Not with TiVo. <G>
GROVER wrote:

It's more a function of the limited time allotted for each segment of the program. You'll notice on a few of the more complicated items the narration is heading towards auctioneer pace to fit all the steps into the available time. They note when they skip over proprietary steps or ingredients. The scale of some of the facilities they show is amazing.
Pete C.

So far, the segment that really blew my mind is how much material and labor goes into ballet slippers. there are at least 4 or 5 layers of various materials in the toe box.
Also, I saw a pair of hockey goalie leg pads being made. I kept thinking "these have gotta be expensive, there's so much labor in them". At the end they informed us that they are $1600 a pair! I'll stick with woodworking.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

My favorite for the pure amusement value was the chick (chicken) breeding facility with the miles of conveyor belts full of fluffy yellow chicks.
I think the most amazing one from an automation standpoint was the car engine plant nearly devoid of humans.
Pete C.
On Feb 14, 2:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A lot of guys who are woodworkers now, were at one time, hockey players....without helmets.
Robatoy wrote:

"Put me in, coach, put me in ... I don't need a helmet!"
rascal less in the world.
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:47:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Anybody else remember seeing the original, ultra-low budget version used as filler segments for Canadian television? No voice-over narration, just music. Hand-lettered title cards to convey information. Very quaint.
RE: Your sig.
I've always enjoyed the quip: "When in doubt, do what the doubters do."