How It's Made

Page 1 of 2
If you haven't seen the TV show How It's Made I'd say you should, if you can receive it. Besides being interesting, fairly often it covers things made of wood. Tonight's show included making caskets and glider rockers. Other shows have had segments on making bagpipes, recorders (the musical instruments), accordians, etc. Hmm, seems to me one of the shows had something on guitar making too.
Tonight's show also had a segment on kitchen knives. They fiished them up by putting on a wooden handle, and then honing them on two, off-set, grinding wheels. So sharpening isn't as big a deal as a lot of you make it out to be. LOL
Sure, the stuff is mass-produced. So what? It's fascinating to see some of the machines and set-ups they use. Plus you can maybe get a few idas for making a variation for you shop. Sharpening the knives gave me an idea for a older that would semi-automate sharpening my chisels - if I cared, and didn't sharpen them on a belt sander. Be nifty for plane irons tho - if I sharpened any plane irons.
Neat show anyway.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
It is a great show. I have almost all of them recorded.
Lots of wood projects.
Pool tables Pool cues Acoustic and Electric Guitars Bent Hardwood Conga Drums Pianos
Just to name a few.
Gary
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:47:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Gary Kemper wrote:

it's a great program.     smart ass,     jo4hn

You should be ashamed of yourself telling tales like this. (Consider the joke stolen) On How It's Made, I want to see the episode that shows how checkered paint is made.
spill, r
Robatoy wrote:

the angle right. Joe

That won't work. Tried it.
Robatoy wrote:

11 hours and 44 minutes, just like it said on the can. I get either black squares with white blocks or white squares with black blocks. Doesn't look like a checker-board at all. Maybe I should try another brush?
Robatoy wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
> [...]
I've discovered that by using just the right amount of Flotrol I can produce fairly accurate tartans. You might need to clean your nozzles with a bit of thistle before spraying...
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Use white heather for best results.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

(Heather Cream, a scotch base drink)

full of tartan: placemats, serviettes, kitchen curtains, tablecloths...
http://tinyurl.com/2a24wm
soooo.. flotrol and thistle, eh?
Now I'm looking for an albino named Heather as well?
Robatoy wrote:
> [...]
If Angela is your wife, I'd strongly suggest asking her, rather than looking for Heather, to help clean your nozzle.
Robatoy wrote:

No, no ... not albino. She has lovely green eyes, deep red hair and blushes easily. DAMHIKT
Bill
rascal less in the world.

I know the type. It takes a mother 20 years to turn her son into a man. ...and a girl like Heather only 20 minutes to turn him into a blithering idiot.
add a few freckles and I'll be biting my knuckles.
Wed, Feb 14, 2007, 10:09am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth claimeth: That won't work. Tried it.
Then you were either using the cheap stuff, or didn't follow the manufacturers instructions, or both.. You've gotta shell out a few bucks extra and get the good stuff, and then follow the directions. Oh yeah, you'll need the special brush too.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 03:08:27 GMT, Gary Kemper

They didn't redo them all for the US market. Canada did 4 seasons, I don't think the US got past season 3. I've got all the Canadian episodes.
On Feb 15, 6:54 pm, Brian Henderson

The first season was really hard to watch. That MC, Mark Tewksbury got on my nerves. He also did the show's theme 'puter sound. Awful! Tewksbury, a gold medal winner in......wait for it.... the back stroke. Pfffffff Why How It's Made never did a segment on fudge-packing is beyond me. (I crack myself up sometimes...is that wrong?)
Robatoy wrote:

At once or twice a week, I drive by a small local candy company (Munson's on CT Rt. 6), and picture this sign out front:
"Now Hiring Fudgepackers!"
It shouldn't be funny, but it is, 'cause I'm immature... <G>