How is this done? (link to pic)

Can anyone explain the process of making a cutting board with this type of pattern?
http://tinyurl.com/2du4f
Thanks, David

My guess:
Take boards of 4 different colors, stack them atop each other, maybe glue them to each other with kraft paper in between. Cut a bunch of wavy lines on the bandsaw. Separate the layers. You now have 4 'jigsaw puzzles', in 4 different colors. Swap a few pieces between the puzzles. You now have 4 multi-colored puzzles. Glue together along the edges, you now have enough for 4 cutting boards. If you only need 1 cutting board, throw 3 away.
Kelly
How about a veneer inlay?
John

Oops,
Not an inlay... Just read the description from the seller. Sorry about that. Nice work though.
John

of

Can't make a board that way, you have to make a set of boards (as many boards as you have timbers - usually 4, maybe 5 or 6 if you have the saw capacity).
Stack up the boards. Scroll saw a wiggle down the middle. Swap pairs. Glue together.
Repeat. Don't swap the same pair every time.
-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

IMHO a router is the key--that and an appropriate template. A technique using a router and template is described in 'Woodworking with the Router'. IIRC it's a well-though-out process using two(?) templates to accomodate the bit thickness and create two mating,curved surfaces. The artist who crafted this likely used a similar technique for each joint, gluing each section, then again cutting with another set of templates. I could burn up lots of lumber trying to get one curved joint to fit well.
Merry Christmas Wreckers!
On 23 Dec 2003 20:26:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (dustin pockets) wrote:

You need a _pair_ of templates for a router, and your inevitable inaccuracies are working against each other. No doubt you could do it that way, but (IMHO) it's going to end up a lot less neat than the scrollsaw.
-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
I'm going to email him and ask. The worst is he can say no, at best, he will explain the process and I'm betting no one here has got it right yet.