How is a blank like this made?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/WXML375.html
I've never done anything like create a blank like this and maybe never will but I am curious how it is done. For $20 it has to be made in China because it looks labor intensive. But what do they do? Put all the scraps into a mold and inject it with epoxy? Seems like it would take a lot of equipment to make something like this, that for which there probably isn't a huge market.

The blocks are probably glued up as a sheet then cut into squares and the squares are glued up to the finished block size. Or something similar.
On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 01:16:11 -0400, errfrsdaf wrote:

Roy Underhill had a guy on a while back that did inlay work. He would take small pieces and glue them up just like you would do for a tabletop then stacked the "panels" and glued them up. It went pretty easy and he could get some very interesting patterns when they were cut apart. This looks like the same process only with larger pieces.