How I made the TV cabinet 2" higher

A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it

2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.

The actual finished product is at:

a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look reasonable.

It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it saved wood and gave me a new challenge.

Yeah, I know the router lift is in backwards. I did it on purpose to move the weight back to the solid supports. First time I used it I discovered why it goes the other way.

Reply to
Toller

Nice save! Did you have to pass the end grain edge over the jointer before jointing or are all of the adjoining edges straight off the saw?

Reply to
Stoutman

The walnut came right off my new WWII like glass. The butternut was cut with a circular saw and was really ragged. Cleaned up nicely with a top guided router.

Reply to
Toller

I still say the walnut grain should have gone in the opposite direction of the butternut,but it does look ok.

The main thing is...does the client like it?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It would crack. Think cross grain situation.

Reply to
Stoutman

After asking that question I kind of slapped myself in the forehead. It doesn't look like you could of used your jointer if you wanted to at least on the butternut. It might have been a very awkward maneuver.

Reply to
Stoutman

As someone who has faltered often and improvised various solutions, I can relate. You did good.

Remember the mantra. It ain't a mistake, it is a design feature.

Some of my rural family would probably refer to it as a racing stripe.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

... snip

Looks good; the contrast is pleasing.

Mark & Juanita

Who cares? *I* like it. Very nice save.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

A true craftsman is known by the quality of his fixes.

Reply to
Swingman

Looks great! Nice job. Andy

Reply to
Andy

I am thinking of making a couple walnut accessories so it will actually look like a design feature. Maybe a walnut bowl with one butternut strip. Is that possible, or is the difference in hardness to extreme? (I am taking a bowl making class next week...)

Reply to
Toller

Swingman wrote: [snip]

-A true craftsman is known by the quality of his fixes.

Spoken like a true musician *G* (This ain't no wrong chord, it's an interlude!") Software writers can do that too. (This ain't no bug, it's a feature.) Abstract art is like that too. (That eyeball looks kinda neat hanging from her nose like that.)

Robatoy

Nice save, Toller. Looks great.

Robatoy

or Jazz ...

Reply to
Swingman

No praise for the inspirational then. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nice punt.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Praise to a lot of people then, Sir.

Praise to Toller for having enough faith in this group to ask for the assist in the first place. Praise to the many that offered solutions. Praise to Toller for picking the best solution and executing it flawlessly Praise to you, Sir. Praise to me, for what I don't know, but I will think of something ...oh yes...this absolutely fabulous mug of coffee. (Costco House Blend with a couple of handfuls of Kenyan Dark, ground through a burr grinder on 'course' and steeped in 200-degree mineral water for 3 minutes in a french press.

Robatoy

Looks great! A walnut & butternut bowl would work fine, and be a sharp looking accessory atop the cabinet.

-- Timothy Juvenal

Juvenal