How I made the TV cabinet 2" higher

Page 1 of 2

A week ago I posted about a customer giving me the wrong dimensions for the cabinet they wanted, and their TV not fitting in. She wanted me to make it 2" bigger. I got a variety of suggestions.
The actual finished product is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cabinet.jpg
With a walnut box, candle sticks, whatever on top it will look reasonable.
It was probably more work to fix it than to build a new one; but it saved wood and gave me a new challenge.
Yeah, I know the router lift is in backwards. I did it on purpose to move the weight back to the solid supports. First time I used it I discovered why it goes the other way.
Looks Great!!!! Nice..very nice

Nice save! Did you have to pass the end grain edge over the jointer before jointing or are all of the adjoining edges straight off the saw?
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Thanks. The walnut came right off my new WWII like glass. The butternut was cut with a circular saw and was really ragged. Cleaned up nicely with a top guided router.

After asking that question I kind of slapped myself in the forehead. It doesn't look like you could of used your jointer if you wanted to at least on the butternut. It might have been a very awkward maneuver.
Toller wrote:

I still say the walnut grain should have gone in the opposite direction of the butternut,but it does look ok.
The main thing is...does the client like it?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

It would crack. Think cross grain situation.

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Who cares? *I* like it. Very nice save.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

As someone who has faltered often and improvised various solutions, I can relate. You did good.
Remember the mantra. It ain't a mistake, it is a design feature.
Some of my rural family would probably refer to it as a racing stripe.

thanks. I am thinking of making a couple walnut accessories so it will actually look like a design feature. Maybe a walnut bowl with one butternut strip. Is that possible, or is the difference in hardness to extreme? (I am taking a bowl making class next week...)
"Toller" wrote...

look
Looks great! A walnut & butternut bowl would work fine, and be a sharp looking accessory atop the cabinet.
-- Timothy Juvenal www.tjwoodworking.com

A laminated vase would look pretty cool....
Is there a strip of walnut at the top of the back piece, or is that shadow in the picture?
Great save of a really nice cabinet job.. I hope the client paid well for the design change... Mac

... snip
Looks good; the contrast is pleasing.

"Toller" wrote in message

A true craftsman is known by the quality of his fixes.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Looks great! Nice job. Andy
Swingman wrote: [snip] -A true craftsman is known by the quality of his fixes.
Spoken like a true musician *G* (This ain't no wrong chord, it's an interlude!") Software writers can do that too. (This ain't no bug, it's a feature.) Abstract art is like that too. (That eyeball looks kinda neat hanging from her nose like that.)
"Robatoy" wrote in message

or Jazz ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

"I broke this bowl in half on purpose to make these too pooper scoopers"
IMHO, cats are the masters of the "I meant to do that" look after falling on their ass trying to jump up or something... they never admit mistakes.. lol
My cat will fall asleep on the shop stool and roll off... just lays on the floor casually licking his fur like it's his normal "dismount".. Mac
Toller wrote:

Nice save, Toller. Looks great.
Robatoy wrote:

No praise for the inspirational then. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite