How hard to rehab an old jointer?

While glancing through the local craigs list I somewhat regularly see old jointers for sale (sans motor and stand) for $50 or so:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tls/4534317278.html http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/tls/4508550957.html
Of course it depends on the particular instance, but in general, how hard is to get something like that working again?
If you were looking at one of these, what should one keep an eye out for?
Where would one look for blades, motor, belt, etc.?
[I realize that I'd probably be way ahead in both hours and dollars to get a minimum-wage evening/weekend job for a month or two and just buy a new jointer.]
There are frequently even ones _with_ motor and stand for less than $100 (almost always old Craftsman units):
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/tls/4533498002.html http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/tls/4501402373.html http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/tls/4511117283.html http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tls/4463665166.html
I love the stand on this one:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/tls/4532109093.html
P.S. to CL posters:
For pete's sake look up the difference between "joiner" and "jointer" when trying to sell either. Kids these days... mumble... mumble.
P.P.S. to same:
It's spelled "planer" -- WITH ONE 'N'. [I don't know what I'll do if Usenet and mailing lists get replaced by those awful web-forums. Do they run all posts on those through some sort of automated tool that mucks up the spelling, grammar, and punctuation? Do you get kicked out if you use complete sentences or your real name?]
--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... I have read the
at INSTRUCTIONS ...
On Monday, June 23, 2014 2:08:37 PM UTC-5, Grant Edwards wrote:

he

On Monday, June 23, 2014 2:08:37 PM UTC-5, Grant Edwards wrote:

If you can get an old working Craftsman for 80 bucks (and you can make a lo wer offer), you might be set. If the motor dies on you, having a name brand (the other poster mentions Jet) means you will more likely be able to repl ace the motor. I really don't know how much reconditioning you will need to do on these. You can get the blades sharpened for less than 20 bucks. They come off with an allen wrench and are a little tricky to get back on corre ctly, but it's certainly do-able. They will rust a little bit, but that's e asy to take care of.

Shaft bearings nice and tight, quiet and smooth. Most are.
Look at the ways where the moveable table goes up and down, make sure it is not rusted up, and in good shape.
Move the infeed table all of the way up to the same height as the outfeed. Get the straightest straight-edge you can find and make sure it touches on the whole length of both tables. If it does not, walk away. It is not worth trying to fix that, and if you do not, it is un-useable.
--
Jim in NC

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:11:12 -0400, "Morgans"

If one or both of the tables are warped I would agree. However, if they are both flat but just need to be properly aligned that is certainly not a show stopper. It just takes a little work and some Patience.
Here are some adjustment videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/jointer-setup/?category_name=tool-setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7peFNT2vS0

Many of the Craftsman jointers do not have adjustments anything like the video, and are extreemly fussy. I stand by my stay away statement.
--
Jim in NC

Some of the prices are pretty amusing as well. Here's a set of 6 spade bits for which the poster is asking $17:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/tls/4521914939.html
They're the Menards 'Tool Shop' house brand, and that _exact_ set sells brand new at Menards for $6.98:
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tool-accessories/drill-bits/6-piece-wood-boring-bit-set/p-1465806-c-10079.htm
I suppose if you desperately want some Menards-brand spade bits and don't have a car or bike and are within walking distance of the seller's house, the $17 is probably cheaper than taking a taxi to Menards and buying them for $7. But, that's sort of niche market.
--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! World War III?
at No thanks!
On 6/23/2014 3:08 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

On 6/23/2014 2:08 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

The little Delta Homecraft aren't a bad light-duty machine; I'd stay away from all of those Craftsman w/ the solid beds--besides being virtually impossible to align, their fences are flimsy at best.
On the last, I've never seen a _5_" jointer...