if I

that
directly
Now
told
conversion
application,
guess
Have you considered using the two-part epoxy/varnish that is used in many restaraunts on bar counters (mentioned elsewhere in this thread)? It's extremely tough, and while it can be scratched, you can also put a coat or two of poly or spar varnish on top of it to make it clear again once it gets scratched up enough that it needs to be redone (or re-pour it, though it gets too thick that way). Any wear and tear that would damage this would also go through poly and possibly into the wood, allowing moisture in. It does have that 'plastic-coated' look that most people on this group seem to hate, but if you really need something tough, this may be the way to go. Cost could be an issue, though. Look up info on Envirotex Lite, Aristocrat, and Famowood Glaze Coat.

I'm starting to think I should just go with the poly and see how it works out for a year or so. At that time if there is a problem I could sand it down and start over with the stuff you describe.
thanks, dwhite