How Flat Glass?

Page 2 of 3

Bruce Barnett wrote:

Very interesting, but as the author pointed out, he is talking about stained glass in cathedrals. I also note that he says that a researcher found about half of the pieces of glass in windows were thicker on the top. I already argued that a worker couldn't possibly have determined the thick end and consistently placed that end on the bottom. It is interesting that other use the thick on the bottom for proof of glass flow and others argue it is thick because the worker placed it that way. Guess both arguments are bullshit, which is what I said.
You have to know what the thickness was at the beginning of the period and the end of the period, regardless of whether the top or the bottom is the thickest. No one has provided that information.
I don't if the flow idea from cathedral windows is valid or not, most likely invalid. That doesn't mean that there isn't evidence in lime glass. But, if it flows it certainly moves very slowly. Does it flow with pressure?
I wonder if Brill ever examined the aging of broken glass edges with an electron microscope?
BTW, someone questioned the validity of the supercooled liquid idea and wanted an authority. How about Linus Pauling? Good enough?
I'm finished. If you find something definitive (valid scientific tests that have been repeated by several scientist) let me know. BTW, experiments using current measurement techniques should easily prove whether glass (softer kinds) actually flow over time. The rest is just blather. Brill's arguments on viscosity are rather weak and trivial. Why not just do the experiments and provide the data on thickness over time.

It doesn't claim that glass is always laid that way. Just that it's done SOME times, and I'm sure the urban myth wasn't started by someone using a micrometer. Since there is no evidence of glass flowing, that theory explains why some houses DO have "thicker at the bottom" glass better than any other theory.
Bruce Barnett wrote:

Last I heard there were several known examples of window panes thicker at the top.
Perhaps the powner's manual indicated that they sould be rotated periodically, like tires.
--

FF

Glass is amorphous. The quick explanation is that is not a solid or a liquid. max

Please read this: http://tafkac.org/science/glass.flow / Just because your science teachers told you it does, doesn't mean they were right. The folks at alt.folklore.urban are damn good about breaking things down, and if you have something that isn't covered in their FAQs and is truly new information, they'd love to know about it.

it's amorphous. the quick explanation is that it's a non-crystalline solid, not a liquid.
Amorphous, is that a new state of matter? I though there were only four states of matter. I am being sarcastic.
max wrote:

Heavy Sigh. Please READ the article before you jump in.
This is another reason why top-posting is bad.
[snip]

This should have been at the top of the response, because it provides facts that contradict your statement.

and of course, all those pieces of cast glass that the egyptians carelesslly just left lying around are simply puddles by now.

i don't know where you got the above ideas, but you might want to recheck them.
Charles Spitzer wrote:

An incredibly stupid comment, for a great number of reasons. Do you know anything about Egyptian glass making?

I'm sure you don't because you are too lazy to read.

well, actually, yes. it also doesn't having anything to do with the making of the glass, since they are still making glass the same way as 5000 years ago. shovel the raw materials into an oven. heat. pour out.

haha. please provide some cites as to what you are talking about glass flowing. as has been pointed out by others, that's been debunked quite a while ago.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts
Charles Spitzer wrote:

You sure you want to stick with that statement?

No. you prove it with scientific data. Thickness of glass over time under controlled conditions. When you find one, let me know.

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:57:36 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Howdy,
You might want to read:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html
Among other things, it indicates that the "flow" concept has not been demonstrated.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:01:03 -0400, Kenneth

Ooops,
I responded before reading further in the thread.
Others have offered similar citations.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Isn't there a rec.glasworking?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Na, but I work with glasses, some do flow at lower temperatures, esp. gallium/lanthinum/sulphide stuff we make....
quickly quoth:

amorphous solid.
it doesn't heal.

it doesn't take a set. it's pretty bendy. i have some 3/4" that bends over a 4' span. when i fuse it together to make a 1.5" thick piece, it doesn't bend very much over a short span, but does over a much longer one.
if you want it to be flat, you have to put it on something that is flat already.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:27:16 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

That's what I used to think, but the window in my door did. I finally got some Oops! and removed the remainder of the label. The scratch was plainly there after all the adhesive, etc. were gone. Months later the scratch wasn't there any more. <cue Twi Zo music here>
Ohhhh, maybe someone came up to my house, broke in, replaced the glass, and sneaked back out, locking the door behind them.
Yeah, I suppose it could happen. What are the odds, C? ;)

You'd think he'd have straightedged the table he layed it on, wouldn't you, before determining that only the glass was curved?
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln
wrote in message

i'd probably, without looking at it whilst it was scratched, have to say it wasn't really a scratch but some other mark on it. i've got glass that i've scratched or scored over 20 years old. i hae some other glass that i took out of an antique window that must have been 75 years old. they haven't healed yet and i'm not holding my breath.

ass-u-me. no, i'd not expect that.

regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:44:37 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

<clue 1> label adhesive and razorblade. can leave residue that very much resembles a scratch. I've made the same mistake.

except that the OP specified the flatness of the surface the glass was sitting on....