How flat for laminate countertops?

After I glued the oak edging to two layers of G1S fir plywood for a countertop, I attempted to level the oak a little finer with my trusty belt sander and made a mess of the plywood. It looks good but you can feel the undulations where the softer wood of the plywood was sanded more than the rest. What product can anyone recommend for 'releveling' the plywood face before the installation of plastic laminate?
handhillsrancher wrote:

You could use Bondo. There is an inexpensive product that mixes with water and is used to level floor surfaces prior to application of tile. I've used that successfully also.
Chuck

Sounds to me like a great excuse to buy a Lee Valley Low-Angle block plane - can't let that happen again! In answer to your question, I'd agree with bondo, or a thick layer of wood putty, HAND-sanded flat with a good backer block. Andy
Durham rock hard, thin
Will contact cement stick to it?
chuck wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

I know of nothing that contact cement will NOT stick to (except maybe Teflon or wax paper -- haven't tried that yet.). We're talking small change here, so by all means experiment and verify before installation.
Good luck.
Chuck