How flat for laminate countertops?

After I glued the oak edging to two layers of G1S fir plywood for a countertop, I attempted to level the oak a little finer with my trusty belt sander and made a mess of the plywood. It looks good but you can feel the undulations where the softer wood of the plywood was sanded more than the rest. What product can anyone recommend for 'releveling' the plywood face before the installation of plastic laminate?

Reply to
handhillsrancher

You could use Bondo. There is an inexpensive product that mixes with water and is used to level floor surfaces prior to application of tile. I've used that successfully also.

Chuck

Reply to
chuck

made a mess of the plywood.

Sounds to me like a great excuse to buy a Lee Valley Low-Angle block plane - can't let that happen again! In answer to your question, I'd agree with bondo, or a thick layer of wood putty, HAND-sanded flat with a good backer block. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Durham rock hard, thin

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Reply to
Mike Berger

I know of nothing that contact cement will NOT stick to (except maybe Teflon or wax paper -- haven't tried that yet.). We're talking small change here, so by all means experiment and verify before installation.

Good luck.

Chuck

Reply to
chuck