How far?

Page 4 of 4
How about the US congressman who found out that berets for one branch of the Service (IIRC Army Rangers???) were MIC (Made In China). How far? What about American flags? Yup, seen them. And I also saw some hand stamps that are made to stamp "Made in America" that were manufactured in Taiwan.... Welcome to the 'Global Economy'. (Hate that phrase)                         Mark L.
John wrote:

It won't be long before the US military has to order it's battleships from Tiawan and it's missles from mainland China because there are no skilled workers nor competent factories that can make them.

You are wrong about that. The ships will come from Hyundai Heavy Industries in Korea.
Wayne

in
How true. I'm a tool and die maker who has been in the trade for 25 years and now I'm seeing 9 out of 10 toolmakers I know retraining for a different career path. Most dies and molds are built and run in China.
Eric Tonks wrote:

Sad, but we have no choice.
We have some molds made in Korea. Not only a cost factor, but also delivery times. We just got a tool in last week. If it was to be made in the US, we would not have the business from our customer as they had a delivery for a new product that had to be met and they would have used other means to pack their product.
US mold maker in Illinois: Cost $18,000 Lead time: 10 weeks. 8 weeks if we paid a premium Quality: Good No test shots.
Mold maker in Austria: Cost: $17,000 Lead time: 8 to 10 weeks plus transit time Quality: Good. Test shots shipped for approval before mold is shipped.
Mold maker in Korea: Cost: $8600 including air freight and duty Lead time; 32 days including transit time. Quality: Very good. No test shots
The machine has no nationality.

from
George responds:

True. But what happens if US foreign policy goes against the grain of China or Taiwan? They then refuse to manufacture whatever it is the US needs to create policy, and whoops! You can bet your tuchus we're then going to see some factories and foundries recreated.
Charlie Self "Democracy is a process by which people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter
Nope, too many years of litigation involved. Not to mention we'd have to recreate the machine tool industry first.

China or

create
George notes:

Nah. If Bush gets re-elected and decides to wipe N. Korea off the map, you can reasonably assume China won't supply any more berets. Actually, that's not a good example. The Army found another supplier as soon as it read the "Made In China" tag.
Charlie Self "Democracy is a process by which people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter
George wrote:

If it got down to an impending war with China then you can bet that litigation would not be an issue--when Congress decides that the lawyers need to be told to take a hike the lawyers will take a hike, and when Congress figures out that once the Chinese take over they will all fail of re-election (the worst disaster that can possibly befall the universe, from the viewpoint of a politician, is that that politician fail of re-election) then they will decide to serve notice on the lawyers.
Constitutional Amendment--"no person practicing law in the United States may be paid more than fifty percent of the mean income of a machinist of equivalent experience and no person may practice law in the United States until they have demonstrated proficiency in the operation of machine tools."
As for recreating the machine tool industry, that's a more serious concern.

--
--John

and that in the face of sanctions to prevent washington from building weapons of mass destruction....

Whole army. My kid says he hates 'em, because it makes them look French.

Blame it on NAFTA (Now America is F***ednin The Ass). Passed by politicians already retired and got their money so to hell with us.

Brian Homan writes:

Actually, that's North American Free Trade Agreement which doesn't have a f***king thing to do with China. The aim was Mexico and Canada, which created enough turmoil.
Some birds are coming home to roost, though: I've read that some Mexican jobs, imported from the U.S., are now being exported to China, Malaysia, et al.
Another scary part is the export of many, maybe most, customer service jobs to India. Having had personal experience of Dell's version of this, with one of their "fluent" English speakers, I have to hope it doesn't move on to China. It's a horror story from the customer's point of view already.
Charlie Self "Democracy is a process by which people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter
Charlie Self wrote:

China would be an improvement in one way--at least they'd have people who could read the manuals for the stuff in their original language--I can imagine some guy in India for whom English is a second language trying to make sense of some of the transliterated Cantonese manuals that I've seen and going postal, or whatever they do in India when job stress removes sanity.

--
--John