How far?

Ace always has a better selection, however the ACE near me always has a bunch of boxes of screws almost empty and half of the screws left in that box don't match the label and they almost never have the hole boxes. Maybe its just the old 'hood that I live in, I haven't driven to any other yet. I have been buying some plastic storage boxes and am going to build a nice box to hold them all then start buying screws/bolts by the box from internet suppliers.

Reply to
Eugene

How far can it go? Bought some toothpicks last week. Toothpicks! Made in China! "Made in China" will soon become the most used words in the English language.

Reply to
John

I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Germany" and "Made in Japan" meant second-rate goods, not just Taiwan and China.

Wagers that ten years from now it'll be Indonesia or something?

Reply to
George

Reply to
nospambob

It's not so much where it is made, but the sly, diabolical, cheap ass marketing tricks American corporations are using to screw the consumer.

Case in point: Go to the BORG, any BORG, to buy four hardware widgets. Sorry, these widgets are now sold ONLY in packages, and there are only THREE widgets in a package. You are forced to buy two f*&^&^45 packages to get four. (This is fresh in my mind because it happened to me yesterday at Home Depot with eyebolts/screws)

The two hardware stores closest to me, who would have had these same widgets loose in a bin, much better made and cheaper in the outcome because you bought only what you needed, are now out of business.

And while we are on the subject, what is also amazing, at least to those of us old enough to note the difference between then and now, is the terminology used by corporations to foster the impression that they give a shit, like "customer care" and "customer service" ... if there are any words more contradictory in today's lexicon, I've yet to see them, particularly if a telephone is involved.

Because of lack of perspective, relatively young consumers have NO earthly idea just how much more MORONIC the average employee, responsible for interface with the customer, is these days.

Reply to
Swingman

The BORG is not a hardware store. Go to Ace. They will sell you one screw or a box of screws. By the box they are pretty cheap.

Reply to
Greg

..and to think we owe it all to Richard Milhous Nixon....

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

The closest Ace was one of the mentioned "hardware" stores that went out of business.

Reply to
Swingman

My favorite is "Hecho in USA". j4

Reply to
jo4hn

If she was not already employed there, she may not have been hired since she'd only get pregnant and stay home with the baby. It was a common reason back then, not to hire women.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Suuuuuure we do. That's funny.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Hey Swingman, you are close to Bearings Hardware... LOL.. You can get a Cappuccino and a flower arrangement to go with your purchase.

Reply to
Leon

Sorry, no matter what quantity you have on hand, or is available in a package, it will be two (too) short of your requirement.

Reply to
George

... and pay a dollar each for an .08 cent part for the privilege. That said, Bering's does have good help who know their areas, BUT, if you're male it's required that you wear Italian tassel loafers with no socks to get waited on.

Besides, I wouldn't want to take the chance that any woodworking friends would see me go in there.

Reply to
Swingman

Uh, no. Not much chance. We've only been married 17 years.

Charlie Self "Democracy is a process by which people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter

Reply to
Charlie Self

I would rather use harbour freight's chinese bar clamps than sears's plastic handled ones... a lot of good basic iron like that comes from China. I just ordered ten 1/2" pipe clamps, after sampling ones from an instore purchase, $2.99 ea. and work great! It is a better deal than 14.99 ea. pony ones made in the US!

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

That was one of the signature accomplishments of the Nixon administration. He was instrumental in renewing political and trade relations with the People's Republic of China. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Reply to
Mark L.

That's because you'll need SIX of the items. One will break during installation, and one will be defective.

These folks are actually looking out for you!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

It won't be long before the US military has to order it's battleships from Tiawan and it's missles from mainland China because there are no skilled workers nor competent factories that can make them.

Reply to
Eric Tonks