How far?

Page 1 of 4
How far can it go? Bought some toothpicks last week. Toothpicks! Made in China! "Made in China" will soon become the most used words in the English language.
I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Germany" and "Made in Japan" meant second-rate goods, not just Taiwan and China.
Wagers that ten years from now it'll be Indonesia or something?

George wrote:

My favorite is "Hecho in USA".     j4

Japan, sure, but when did "Made in Germany" _ever_ mean second-rate?
Doug Miller wrote:

Maybe back when they and the Romans were going at it?

--
--John

Doubtful -- the Germans won that one.

Yes we did, and I am descended of those giants, they're still there too. Alex
Doug Miller wrote:

But not necessarily on the basis of their manufactured goods.

--
--John
In the 50's.
wrote:

meant
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:59:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Did you ever see _East_ German imports in the USA, or were they excluded by some McCarthyist hangover ? There were some pretty rough things made there in the last decades.
The way to spot a really old guy in a UK engineering workshop (if you can still find one of _them_) is to ask if they think US hand tools are something worth having.
Andy Dingley asks:

Mostly condemned to the same limbo as Cuban items and culture...people could come, but leave the manufactured things home.
Charlie Self "Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air." Jack Benny
"John" wrote in message

It's not so much where it is made, but the sly, diabolical, cheap ass marketing tricks American corporations are using to screw the consumer.
Case in point: Go to the BORG, any BORG, to buy four hardware widgets. Sorry, these widgets are now sold ONLY in packages, and there are only THREE widgets in a package. You are forced to buy two f*&^&^45 packages to get four. (This is fresh in my mind because it happened to me yesterday at Home Depot with eyebolts/screws)
The two hardware stores closest to me, who would have had these same widgets loose in a bin, much better made and cheaper in the outcome because you bought only what you needed, are now out of business.
And while we are on the subject, what is also amazing, at least to those of us old enough to note the difference between then and now, is the terminology used by corporations to foster the impression that they give a shit, like "customer care" and "customer service" ... if there are any words more contradictory in today's lexicon, I've yet to see them, particularly if a telephone is involved.
Because of lack of perspective, relatively young consumers have NO earthly idea just how much more MORONIC the average employee, responsible for interface with the customer, is these days.
</rant>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

There may be one or two folks out there that are not familiar with the stockman's use of the term "service". For those folks, it's what the bull dues to the cow.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
In the agricultural sense of course!
" snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net" wrote:

The BORG is not a hardware store. Go to Ace. They will sell you one screw or a box of screws. By the box they are pretty cheap.
Greg wrote:

Ace always has a better selection, however the ACE near me always has a bunch of boxes of screws almost empty and half of the screws left in that box don't match the label and they almost never have the hole boxes. Maybe its just the old 'hood that I live in, I haven't driven to any other yet. I have been buying some plastic storage boxes and am going to build a nice box to hold them all then start buying screws/bolts by the box from internet suppliers.

Man, and all this time, I've been using drill bits for the holes. :-)

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 06:57:13 -0600, Eugene wrote

Same here! Another problem is the box of screws (the cheap ones) usually are hecho in China....
-Bruce

The large Ace where I live is two different stores. The store on weekdays, where they employ professionals who wait on professionals and on weekends where they employ smart mouthed teenagers to wait on the DIY'er. It's this type of service that makes the DIY'er go to the Borg.
I would much rather deal with the professionals, but unfortunately I have a day job and generally don't have that opportunity. I have switched to a position where we do the 9-80 thing and then get off every other friday. I will go to Ace on Friday, but NEVER on the weekends. ==========================================================================Chris