How does one clean a tenor saw?

It sticks in the mitre box and has this weird white/black mess over the blade that I think came from cutting green wood with it. The saw is still sharp so I don't want to just throw it. It was hard to clean with by hand with detergent and only managed a small area in a long sapce of time. So any suggestion would be nice.

Thank You

TR

Reply to
TrailRat

I would think the same way you would clean a baritone or a bass saw.

Sorry. Someone was going to do it; it might as well be me.

Reply to
LRod

Here's two suggestions: (1) soak in mineral spirits for a week and then wire brush it; (2) soak in "Simple Green" or that Orange stuff for a week and then wire brush it;

Mutt

Reply to
Mutt

LRod beat me to the crummy pun, so I'll just have to play it straight. CMT makes a blade cleaner that works faster than just about anything. You'll find it a Rockler, Woodcraft, Amazon.com or a number of other woodworking places. Even faster is oven cleaner, but it's evil stuff and must be used in a well-ventilated area.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I, also was too slow with the crummy pun, so I'll suggest one other straight answer: Dishwasher detergent (e.g., Cascade) at rate of about

1T/q. Overnight soaking should be enough.
Reply to
alexy

Something equivalent to this. It's only available in Canada I assume because of some type of shipping restrictions, but it should be available elsewhere too.

Upscale

I use spray-on oven cleaner. Quick and easy. Also great for router bits etc.

Reply to
Bill Daly

Might want to soak just the blade, lest you get into a bimetal (brass back/steel blade) situation with a pretty good electrolyte.

I'd wet a washrag or two in simple green or TSP substitute and lay it on the affected area for fifteen minutes. Shouldn't take more.

Reply to
George

A better reply would have been:

You use acetone to clean a tennon saw,so use baritone to clean a tenor saw.

or

Any solvent bass cleaner will do.

Reply to
webstersteve

Actually I would turn in the tenor for two fives, spend one on some Easy Off and go see half a movie with the other five.

Although...that might be considered money laundering...

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

On 21 Apr 2005 13:13:46 -0700, the inscrutable "TrailRat" spake:

Unfortunately, bass, soprano, and alto brushes won't work on a tenor saw. I'd try soaking it with Simple Green for a few minutes. It should wipe clean after that.

It'll be Happy Humming after that.

========================================================= What doesn't kill you +

you hurt more. + Web application programming =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Washing soda. About 1/4 cup in a quart of warm water. Soak for five minutes; most of the crud will rinse off. The rest you can wipe off with a rag. Rinse with water. Dry with a towel.

Doug Miller

Talk about a _fishy_ solution to the problem!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

There have been several good suggestions in other postings, but I feel compelled to add another alto-native.

Anything that attacks fat/grease will remove the 'crud'. Depending on how 'aggressive' the cleaner is, "tincture of time" may be required.

Aggressive cleaners include lye and related products (e.g. "Red Devil Lye", "Easy Off Oven Cleaner", etc.) *CARE* is required, These products will remove skin!

Any of the 'citrus' cleaners -- "Simple Green", "Orange Clean" ,etc.

"grease-remover" hand cleaners, frequently found in auto shops -- things like "Goop".

Other 'glass' and multi-purpose cleaners with 'grease cutters' -- "Windex", "Formula 409", etc.

"Detergents" with grease-cutters. _Pure_ detergents are *not* very good at 'stuck on' stuff of this type. Detergents work by 'getting under' stuff, and lifting it away. when you can't get _under_ it, you need something that breaks it up, and can attack from the top.

"soap". works similarly to pure detergent. just not as well.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I would conjecture that the same method used to clean a baritone saw should suffice nicely. ;-)

Godzilla

Reply to
Godzilla

You guys are VERY ill. :^)

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: A better reply would have been:

You use acetone to clean a tennon saw,so use baritone to clean a tenor saw.

or

Any solvent bass cleaner will do.

Talk about a _fishy_ solution to the problem!

Reply to
SHOOTER1