How does one clean a tenor saw?

It sticks in the mitre box and has this weird white/black mess over the blade that I think came from cutting green wood with it. The saw is still sharp so I don't want to just throw it. It was hard to clean with by hand with detergent and only managed a small area in a long sapce of time. So any suggestion would be nice.
Thank You
TR
I would think the same way you would clean a baritone or a bass saw.
Sorry. Someone was going to do it; it might as well be me.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
A better reply would have been:
You use acetone to clean a tennon saw,so use baritone to clean a tenor saw.
or
Any solvent bass cleaner will do.

Talk about a _fishy_ solution to the problem!
You guys are VERY ill. :^)
A better reply would have been:
You use acetone to clean a tennon saw,so use baritone to clean a tenor saw.
or
Any solvent bass cleaner will do.
Talk about a _fishy_ solution to the problem!
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:21:33 +0100, LRod

Actually I would turn in the tenor for two fives, spend one on some Easy Off and go see half a movie with the other five.
Although...that might be considered money laundering...
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:21:33 +0100, LRod

ba-boom-crash!
Barry
Here's two suggestions: (1) soak in mineral spirits for a week and then wire brush it; (2) soak in "Simple Green" or that Orange stuff for a week and then wire brush it;
Mutt

LRod beat me to the crummy pun, so I'll just have to play it straight. CMT makes a blade cleaner that works faster than just about anything. You'll find it a Rockler, Woodcraft, Amazon.com or a number of other woodworking places. Even faster is oven cleaner, but it's evil stuff and must be used in a well-ventilated area.
Bob

I, also was too slow with the crummy pun, so I'll suggest one other straight answer: Dishwasher detergent (e.g., Cascade) at rate of about 1T/q. Overnight soaking should be enough.

Might want to soak just the blade, lest you get into a bimetal (brass back/steel blade) situation with a pretty good electrolyte.
I'd wet a washrag or two in simple green or TSP substitute and lay it on the affected area for fifteen minutes. Shouldn't take more.

Something equivalent to this. It's only available in Canada I assume because of some type of shipping restrictions, but it should be available elsewhere too.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p0062&cat=1,41080,41165
I use spray-on oven cleaner. Quick and easy. Also great for router bits etc.
Cheers Bill Daly New Zealand

On 21 Apr 2005 13:13:46 -0700, the inscrutable "TrailRat"

Unfortunately, bass, soprano, and alto brushes won't work on a tenor saw. I'd try soaking it with Simple Green for a few minutes. It should wipe clean after that.
It'll be Happy Humming after that.
======================================================== What doesn't kill you + http://diversify.com ...makes you hurt more. + Web application programming ========================================================

Washing soda. About 1/4 cup in a quart of warm water. Soak for five minutes; most of the crud will rinse off. The rest you can wipe off with a rag. Rinse with water. Dry with a towel.

There have been several good suggestions in other postings, but I feel compelled to add another alto-native. <groan>
Anything that attacks fat/grease will remove the 'crud'. Depending on how 'aggressive' the cleaner is, "tincture of time" may be required.
Aggressive cleaners include lye and related products (e.g. "Red Devil Lye", "Easy Off Oven Cleaner", etc.) *CARE* is required, These products will remove skin!
Any of the 'citrus' cleaners -- "Simple Green", "Orange Clean" ,etc.
"grease-remover" hand cleaners, frequently found in auto shops -- things like "Goop".
Other 'glass' and multi-purpose cleaners with 'grease cutters' -- "Windex", "Formula 409", etc.
"Detergents" with grease-cutters. _Pure_ detergents are *not* very good at 'stuck on' stuff of this type. Detergents work by 'getting under' stuff, and lifting it away. when you can't get _under_ it, you need something that breaks it up, and can attack from the top.
"soap". works similarly to pure detergent. just not as well.
TrailRat wrote:

I would conjecture that the same method used to clean a baritone saw should suffice nicely. ;-)
Godzilla