How does one announce he has several hundred board feet of 2X Cherry wood to sell?

Page 1 of 2

All
I have about 300 board feet of 8/4 Cherry Wood to sell. What is the proper way to list this for sale here and not violate all the rules?
Bob AZ
On 8/21/10 12:28 AM, Bob AZ wrote:

:-) Wish I was closer.
--
Froz...

Send it to me for storage.
The only "proper" way to sell things on the Usenet is to put it in a sig and talk about something people want to talk about. Anything more is spam. OTOH, this is the only sort of SPAM that's likely to get me to drool.
On 8/20/2010 9:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I live in AZ, but unfortunately don't have the proper tools to best make use of any of it - no planer, no band saw, etc. Sigh...
Matt
Bob AZ wrote:

Where in AZ are you at Bob? ... and how much do you want for it?

Rob Leatham

Tucson. $5.00 a board foot.
Have a FAX number?
Bob AZ

I think you've done fine.. IMHO, it's only spam if you're a professional, not a one time thing..
8/4 by what?? Just wondering if it's wide enough for bowl blanks..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

From 6" to 12".
When my sister makes bowls she glues pieces up as necessary. With some 6" you could make bowls 12" X 4" with no problem.
Bob AZ

I'm thinking more like 2x10" or 2x12", Bob.. I want to make some offset platters and this might be a very nice wood to do it with..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

As long as you're a regular poster, have a personal item to sell, and only post the one initial for sale message you'll probably be ok. More then 2 for sale messages a year would probably be excessive.
As a courtesy, mark the subject line with a prefix like FS: or whatever you want to use. Be sure to include your location, especially if the item is hard to ship.
Puckdropper

This is USENET... No rules, no one in charge, etc... You'll get flamed if anyone objects, but if you have somehting of interest to the group and the price is right, you'll sell it! Good luck with selling your wood. I had no idea AZ had any cherry trees. Several years ago I bought a planer and jointer so I could buy cheep lumber at a local sawmill and stop paying big box store prices. Then I wanted even better looking wood, so I bought a small band saw mill. (Timberking 1220) Now I've got about 1000 bft of cherry, 1500 bft of maple and about 400 bft of walnut. It's almost time to get a few more walnut logs. The loggers sell ugly logs cheep because the commercial mills want straight, knot free wood to cut grade lumber from. The uglyest logs make the most beautiful lumber! I'm going to take my mill to a big logging job soon, the logger offered me all the walnut crotches and stumps I could cut if I'd come pick out what I wanted. They leave the best parts in the woods to rot! I only need a couple of feet left on the stump to cut them for gunstock blanks, they always buck the logs into 16 ft lengths and a couple of feet of log is always cut off anyway. Free wood so far has cost me the price of a planer, jointer big shop bandsaw and a sawmill... LOL

Good luck with selling

Bill W
No cherry trees in AZ that I know of.
I did some surfing and found that cherry wood in the size I have, 8' plus, are grown in the "tropics". Up to 30' tall. Several different species etc. Trying to find more information.
Bob AZ
On 8/26/2010 1:54 PM, Bob AZ wrote:

If it was "grown in the tropics" then odds are that it's Jatoba, aka "Brazilian Cherry". It looks somewhat like cherry and darkens with age, but it's more than twice as hard as hard maple.

J Clarke
You seem to be more knowledgeable than me about this. Do you have any online references that I may look at?
Thanks for the additional information.
Bob AZ
There are online hardness charts for tropical woods. Try google.ca
It would seem the softer the hardwood in N.AMerica the harder it is in Brazil???
Brazilian walnut is one of the hardest woods there is and yet N.Am walnut is one of the softest.
I have a piece of Tiger Wood out on my deck for the last year to see if it is as good for decking as reported. The urethane finish has turned dark and may split some day but the rest of the board is in perfect health. The stuff is so tight grained, moisture doesn't penetrate and it cuts like a piece of steel or maybe anodized aluminum. Nice machining though.
You seem to be more knowledgeable than me about this. Do you have any online references that I may look at?
Thanks for the additional information.
Bob AZ

J Clarke
On 8/27/2010 2:05 PM, Josepi wrote:

While there is true walnut grown in South America, wood commonly sold in the US as "Brazilian walnut" is the same stuff sold for decks as "ipe"--different wood--walnut is in the genus juglans, ipe is in the genus tabebuia.

Are you telling me that "IPE" is not Brazilian walnut? The manufacturers all claim it is.
Sometimes the translations from Portugese to English is not too good...LOL
but if they are a different genus then that would settle that one. Common names for plants are a bitch too, sometimes. everything is a "flower"...LOL
While there is true walnut grown in South America, wood commonly sold in the US as "Brazilian walnut" is the same stuff sold for decks as "ipe"--different wood--walnut is in the genus juglans, ipe is in the genus tabebuia.
On 8/27/2010 2:05 PM, Josepi wrote:

On 8/27/2010 5:46 PM, Josepi wrote:

Marketing name. If you use it for a deck it's "ipe", if you use it for a floor it's "Brazilian Walnut", if you use it for a turning square it may be called "lapacho".
One local yard used to have a huge stock of South American hardwoods--they had cabinet-grade ipe that was lovely stuff right next to it they had Argentinian walnut that was like American walnut only they had it 3 inches thick, 15 inches wide, and 18 feet long with not a speck of sapwood on it. For some reason that they wouldn't share they no longer have any of that lovely stuff--it's all domestic lumber now.

J. Clarke wrote: ...

I'd venture had to do w/ the former lacking the provenance of sustainable foresting in the rain forest areas. Much at one time was, if not exactly black- at least gray-market from the clearcut clearing for expanding cattle and grain production, particularly bad in Brazil.
On 8/27/2010 7:36 PM, dpb wrote:

Could be--it was all supposed to be from Argentina and it was amazing stuff. Wish I'd laid in a stock of it.