How does one announce he has several hundred board feet of 2X Cherry wood to sell?

All

I have about 300 board feet of 8/4 Cherry Wood to sell. What is the proper way to list this for sale here and not violate all the rules?

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Wish I was closer.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Send it to me for storage.

The only "proper" way to sell things on the Usenet is to put it in a sig and talk about something people want to talk about. Anything more is spam. OTOH, this is the only sort of SPAM that's likely to get me to drool.

Reply to
krw

I live in AZ, but unfortunately don't have the proper tools to best make use of any of it - no planer, no band saw, etc. Sigh...

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Where in AZ are you at Bob? ... and how much do you want for it?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I think you've done fine.. IMHO, it's only spam if you're a professional, not a one time thing..

8/4 by what?? Just wondering if it's wide enough for bowl blanks..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Tucson. $5.00 a board foot.

Have a FAX number?

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Mac

From 6" to 12".

When my sister makes bowls she glues pieces up as necessary. With some

6" you could make bowls 12" X 4" with no problem.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Bob AZ wrote in news:edfb40ab-a347-498b-a2d3- snipped-for-privacy@q40g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

As long as you're a regular poster, have a personal item to sell, and only post the one initial for sale message you'll probably be ok. More then 2 for sale messages a year would probably be excessive.

As a courtesy, mark the subject line with a prefix like FS: or whatever you want to use. Be sure to include your location, especially if the item is hard to ship.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm thinking more like 2x10" or 2x12", Bob.. I want to make some offset platters and this might be a very nice wood to do it with..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

This is USENET... No rules, no one in charge, etc... You'll get flamed if anyone objects, but if you have somehting of interest to the group and the price is right, you'll sell it! Good luck with selling your wood. I had no idea AZ had any cherry trees. Several years ago I bought a planer and jointer so I could buy cheep lumber at a local sawmill and stop paying big box store prices. Then I wanted even better looking wood, so I bought a small band saw mill. (Timberking

1220) Now I've got about 1000 bft of cherry, 1500 bft of maple and about 400 bft of walnut. It's almost time to get a few more walnut logs. The loggers sell ugly logs cheep because the commercial mills want straight, knot free wood to cut grade lumber from. The uglyest logs make the most beautiful lumber! I'm go>All
Reply to
billw

Good luck with selling

Bill W

No cherry trees in AZ that I know of.

I did some surfing and found that cherry wood in the size I have, 8' plus, are grown in the "tropics". Up to 30' tall. Several different species etc. Trying to find more information.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

If it was "grown in the tropics" then odds are that it's Jatoba, aka "Brazilian Cherry". It looks somewhat like cherry and darkens with age, but it's more than twice as hard as hard maple.

Reply to
J. Clarke

J Clarke

You seem to be more knowledgeable than me about this. Do you have any online references that I may look at?

Thanks for the additional information.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

There are online hardness charts for tropical woods. Try google.ca

It would seem the softer the hardwood in N.AMerica the harder it is in Brazil???

Brazilian walnut is one of the hardest woods there is and yet N.Am walnut is one of the softest.

I have a piece of Tiger Wood out on my deck for the last year to see if it is as good for decking as reported. The urethane finish has turned dark and may split some day but the rest of the board is in perfect health. The stuff is so tight grained, moisture doesn't penetrate and it cuts like a piece of steel or maybe anodized aluminum. Nice machining though.

Thanks for the additional information.

Bob AZ

J Clarke

Reply to
Josepi

The a good starting point is the FPL/CSIRO searchable database at . If there isn't a tech sheet listed for a particular item it's probably not traded commercially in any significant quantity. The search engine on that site sucks though--entering "cherry" will not find the common US commercial species, but "black" or "black cherry" will.

By the way, FPL will identify several samples a year for a US citizen at no charge--details at .

has datasheets and photos for a wide range of species, some of which they also have in stock for sale.

Reply to
J. Clarke

While there is true walnut grown in South America, wood commonly sold in the US as "Brazilian walnut" is the same stuff sold for decks as "ipe"--different wood--walnut is in the genus juglans, ipe is in the genus tabebuia.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Are you telling me that "IPE" is not Brazilian walnut? The manufacturers all claim it is.

Sometimes the translations from Portugese to English is not too good...LOL

but if they are a different genus then that would settle that one. Common names for plants are a bitch too, sometimes. everything is a "flower"...LOL

Reply to
Josepi

Marketing name. If you use it for a deck it's "ipe", if you use it for a floor it's "Brazilian Walnut", if you use it for a turning square it may be called "lapacho".

One local yard used to have a huge stock of South American hardwoods--they had cabinet-grade ipe that was lovely stuff right next to it they had Argentinian walnut that was like American walnut only they had it 3 inches thick, 15 inches wide, and 18 feet long with not a speck of sapwood on it. For some reason that they wouldn't share they no longer have any of that lovely stuff--it's all domestic lumber now.

Reply to
J. Clarke

J. Clarke wrote: ...

I'd venture had to do w/ the former lacking the provenance of sustainable foresting in the rain forest areas. Much at one time was, if not exactly black- at least gray-market from the clearcut clearing for expanding cattle and grain production, particularly bad in Brazil.

--

Reply to
dpb