How does he do that?

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric circles here:
http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html
Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry access to each ring. Any ideas?
Larry
Gramps' shop wrote:

--
 GW Ross

 Weird enough for all practical
Gramps' shop wrote:

"G. Ross" wrote:

Definitely scroll saw time.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Gramps' shop wrote:

"G. Ross" wrote:

Definitely scroll saw time.
I've seen cuts started with jig saws by tilting the saw forward and letting the blade eat into the wood.
Dave in Texas
G. Ross wrote:

up. Forgot to mention this.
--
 GW Ross

 Weird enough for all practical
Looks like something done on a RingMaster.
On 8/28/2013 4:36 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Scroll saw.     its fine enough that a you drill a small hole and the blade fits in.
Surprised that this is glued up. Some of these are made collapseable.
--
Jeff

message

1. No hole needed, just cut out the outside ring.
2. Cut the next ring. It was the second in, is now outside, no hole needed.
3. Keep doing #2
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Do you want to rethink that?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Why?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

When you cut the outside edge of the outside ring, how do you get the saw inside the outside ring to cut the next smaller ring without cutting into the outside ring?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

OK. We were diverted into the use of a band or jig saw. No one mentioned a lathe, not even you until BillinGA mentioned a Ringmaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4uY9oJ-tA

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 8/29/2013 10:23 AM, willshak wrote:

The Ringmaster is the way to do the segmented bowls in my opinion.
I saw one in action in a local woodworker show and I was stunned at what the guy could crank out in just a few minutes.
After you have made a few hundred bowls, I'm not sure where you go after that....but you can really crank out bowls with that tool.
An interesting side fact was that the RingMaster "was" made in a plant in Wilmington, NC that built Porta-Nail floor nailers.
That plant closed a few years back and I don't know where the RingMaster went....
http://www.ringmasterlathe.com/
Martin
On 8/29/2013 3:53 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

see the center hole in the second slide? that is to clamp glued up board to the arbor. angled blade brought into the spinning work and cuts through. remove outer ring , reposition blade, and cut next ring. Other tools/method s may work but I know a RingMaster can do this. I see these guys sometimes at craft fairs.

Could be done on a scroll saw (drill a small hole first & thread the blade through it) or with some custom hole saws. Could also cut access for band saw at one of the joints between dark & light wood, then reglue.
Scroll saw is the only practical method. I have made a few of them. Some pictures of finished product and how it is done can be seen at:
http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ray80538/SegmentedBowl/segbowl.html
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 13:36:28 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"

Think scrollsaw instead of bandsaw.