How does he do that?

I assume the author uses a bandsaw to cut the concentric circles here:

Can't figure out how he does so without cutting an entry access to each ring. Any ideas?

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Drills a small hole and uses a scroll saw.

Reply to
G. Ross

"G. Ross" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- Definitely scroll saw time.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Looks like something done on a RingMaster.

Reply to
BillinGA

Scroll saw. its fine enough that a you drill a small hole and the blade fits in.

Surprised that this is glued up. Some of these are made collapseable.

Reply to
woodchucker

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com

  1. No hole needed, just cut out the outside ring.

  1. Cut the next ring. It was the second in, is now outside, no hole needed.

  2. Keep doing #2
Reply to
dadiOH

Do you want to rethink that?

Reply to
willshak

see the center hole in the second slide? that is to clamp glued up board to the arbor. angled blade brought into the spinning work and cuts through. remove outer ring , reposition blade, and cut next ring. Other tools/method s may work but I know a RingMaster can do this. I see these guys sometimes at craft fairs.

Reply to
BillinGA

The table is angled for sawing, otherwise the rings would not stack up. Forgot to mention this.

Reply to
G. Ross

"G. Ross" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- Definitely scroll saw time.

I've seen cuts started with jig saws by tilting the saw forward and letting the blade eat into the wood.

Dave in Texas

Reply to
Dave In Texas

Why?

Reply to
dadiOH

Could be done on a scroll saw (drill a small hole first & thread the blade through it) or with some custom hole saws. Could also cut access for band saw at one of the joints between dark & light wood, then reglue.

Reply to
Larry W

When you cut the outside edge of the outside ring, how do you get the saw inside the outside ring to cut the next smaller ring without cutting into the outside ring?

Reply to
willshak

OK. We were diverted into the use of a band or jig saw. No one mentioned a lathe, not even you until BillinGA mentioned a Ringmaster.

willshak

Scroll saw is the only practical method. I have made a few of them. Some pictures of finished product and how it is done can be seen at:

Ray

The Ringmaster is the way to do the segmented bowls in my opinion.

I saw one in action in a local woodworker show and I was stunned at what the guy could crank out in just a few minutes.

After you have made a few hundred bowls, I'm not sure where you go after that....but you can really crank out bowls with that tool.

An interesting side fact was that the RingMaster "was" made in a plant in Wilmington, NC that built Porta-Nail floor nailers.

That plant closed a few years back and I don't know where the RingMaster went....

Reply to
Pat Barber

"Gramps' shop" wrote in news:74ed0542-d2d9-493b-9fb9- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Think scrollsaw instead of bandsaw.