How do you use a Joiner Plane?

I do very little woodworking. However I'm planning on making something that requires doing some joining.

I've been looking at purchasing a joining plane. But there is one aspect I haven't been able to get a handle on. That is keeping the plane at a 90 degree angle to the side. I was planning on using

1" stock - which is what, maybe 7/8" in actuality.

I am planning on using pine. Thinking about what is purchased from a home improvement store or lumber yard. I don't know how much effort is made to make sure that the edges are exactly 90 degrees to each other. If you are just using a joiner plane all you would be doing would be continuing the angle already existing on the wood. Before electricity and jointers what did they do? Did furniture makers clamp some type of fence unto the board they were join planing? Or am I trying to be overly precise on this.

I realize I could try to track a wood working shop and pay them to do the planing. But if this project is like a lot of my other projects it will probably stretch out a long time before being completed. Concern then exist of having the soft wood edged and then the weather changes effect the finish before I get all the edges glued up.

Thank you, Jim

Reply to
Jim

You can clamp a couple of pieces together for a wider base, you can just use the plane and check it from time to time with a square or you can get one of these

PM6564

Something I've seen people use that does about the same thing is make a small L-shaped fence from scrap plywood, and attach it to the bottom of the jointer plane w/ small C-clamps. 'course, for $30, it might just be quicker and easier to order the Veritas fence and not have to fiddle as much ;)

HTH,

nuk

Reply to
nuk

"Jim" wrote

: I do very little woodworking. However I'm : planning on making something that requires doing : some joining. : : I've been looking at purchasing a joining plane. : But there is one aspect I haven't been able to get : a handle on. That is keeping the plane at a 90 : degree angle to the side.

Jim might like to try my web site - Planing Notes - How To Plane A Square Edge'.

Perhaps follow this with 'Rub Jointing'.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

CW wrote: : Looks like youve been hacked Jeff. :>

:> Jim might like to try my web site - Planing Notes - How To Plane A Square :> Edge'. :>

:> Perhaps follow this with 'Rub Jointing'. :>

:> Jeff G :>

:> -- :> Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK :> Email address is username@ISP :> username is amgron :> ISP is clara.co.uk :> Website

He hasn't been hacked. You replace the "username" with the username he specifies.

Reply to
atgcpaul