How do you sharpen planer blades ?????????

I have a 12"DeWalt planer that's just taken the edge off it's spare set of blades so now I need to sharpen them. Do I need to remove them or is there a gizmo that enables you to do it with the blade in position? Tia, Mike
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote:

IIRC, Jimmy Carter says to use that handheld belt sander of yours.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Be certain that you don't have disposables like the ones on my Ryobi.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote in

With my planer (Ridgid TP1300), one of the things that comes from removing the blades from the cutter head is the opportunity to clean the resinous gunk off of them, and the cutter head. This alone gave a better, smoother cut in the figured walnut I was trying to thickness.
The blades for mine indicate that they are not suited to resharpening. I tried honing a set, with 600 grit wrapped around a block, with only marginal improvement. It was a 'thrifty' experiment, as there are still two sets, sealed, in the tool drawer.
I'd count on at least pulling the blades to clean them up. And maybe work up a wooden blade holder to facilitate the honing process.
Patriarch

A tool and die maker or a place that sharpens end mills can probably do a perfect job for a reasonable fee. It is a fairly simple job to set the blades on a surface grinder and sharpen all the blades to the same height and bevel.
The design of the cutter head might also allow for all the blades to be sharpened while clamped in position. This would be the most accurate way as the edge of each blade would be exactly the same distance from the center of the head.
I would ask the man doing the work which way he preferred.
--

Roger Shoaf

Which model?
I have the 733 and swapping out the blades is only a 10-minute job.
-Steve

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote:

My advice would be to have them sharpened at a professional sharpening service in your area. The blades have to be ground perfectly flat. The last time I had mine sharpened the cost was about $14.00 USD and took about three days to get them back.