How do you organize your shop?

Page 4 of 4
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:54:49 +0000, Dan wrote:

That's what's OK with the hot melt - just stick the tip of the gun on the old glue and soften it up to make changes.
- Doug

Doug Winterburn wrote:

That's actually worth a try. Now has anyone seen my glue gun? I haven't seen it since the '90s.
Drawers with labels and shelves. Start with a mechanics tool chest and work from there. Peg board is minimal in my shop.

I hang my bar clamps vertically from a rack that's got custom slots for the purpose (I think the idea came from ShopNotes or some such). The F-style clamps just hang in sets of 4-5 on 6" long dowels that form another rack. My pipe clamps are rarely used, but are stowed horizontally along the bottom of the angle brackets that hold up my lumber. The clamp storage works well.
The chisels and small squares hang on a magnetic rack, the backsaws rest on their back spines on pegs in pegboard, and the larger or closed handled saws are hung by their handles on pegs.
My handplanes rest in the large drawer of a rolling toolchest I have near the workbench. Same with the cordless drill, screwdrivers, ROS, sandpaper.
I have a few boards of spalted maple that are looking for a use, and I think that shortly I'll build a foldout wall cabinet to hold the handtools.
One of the handiest things I did was to run a french cleat around 3 walls of my shop to hang cabinets. The cabinets have a slot in each side to allow getting them over the wall mounted half of the cleat, and I'm able to easily relocate them when I rearrange the shop. I made extra lengths of the cleat, and use them to put up various storage racks - clamp rack, saw blade hangers, holding fixtures for jigs, etc. Now if I could only get the discipline to put things back in the cabinet, or on the storage racks as I finish using them..
Ron Kolakowski.
Sounds roughly like the system in this months issue of The Family Handyman. Checkout the garage system they created, http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/article.do?siteId 11&categoryId`02&contentIdX5
John

I found that having the tools close to the bench is very convenient. I built fold-away cabinets that hold a lot of tools close by. Tools I use less often go into drawers. I like pegboards, but build custom tool holders using "L" hooks that hook into the pegboard.

So do I. Seems like most end up ON the bench though. I do have a couple of sets of drawers from Lee Valley. They hold my sandpaper, some measuring tools, chisels and assorted small stuff. A couple of Tupperware boxes about 5 x 5 x 1 hold screwdriver bits, countersink bits, other small stuff that I use frequently. Pegboard holds other hand tools, sanders are plugged in and under the bench. One with 120 grit, the other 220 grit.
Router table has two drawers for all the bits and accessories for it.
In the next few weeks I'm going to re-do my bench. That means everything must be moved so it will be easier to organize as I put things back. The bench will also be narrower so I can utilize the wall behind it that I cannot now reach.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

After building 3 sets of drawers and planning a couple of cabinets, I ended up buying 100 rare earth magnets for $20 and hanging the stuff that I use most often.. Hammers and heavy stuff go on the side of the "hardware bin cabinet", most small saws, paint can openers, rulers, allen keys, etc. hang on a 3' x 30" frame of 3/4 pipe over the work bench.. I find that if I can find the stuff that I use a lot, the rest of the junk seems to stay out of my way, pretty much.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Organize? What is this you speak of?
-Keith

Sears used to sell some excellent pegboard hooks/hangers. They were designed so the bottom part firmly fit into the pegboard and I never ever had one fall out. They came in a box of about 25 - several shapes available. Sadly, the last time I was in the US store where I got the others they informed they don't carry them any more. What a pain.
Recently I was hauling a load of stuff to the dump and among the junk was a kids workbench. On the small pegboard were four hangers, red in color and firmly in place. I removed them and now use them on my own pegboard...They were very sturdy, probably because of the specs placed on kids toy safety. Wish I could get more of them too because not only do they stay in place but the red looks great :O) I think Mattel or some other major mfr made it.
Anyone know of another source for the kind I'm talking about - The bottom part of the pegs was split.
Keith P.
I had pegboard in two previous home shops and always hated it. As others have noted, the clips always came off, etc.. I vowed that someday I would have something else. When we moved into our house ten years ago I had room for a 20' x 35' shop in the basement. The house design resulted in an alcove in the shop area. I built a set of open cabinets with shelves that hold plastic bins for hardware for the bottom of the alcove. Above them are three tool boards of 1/2" birch ply wood. The tools are organized by function (measuring & marking, screw and nut handling, edge cutting, hole making, etc.) Each tool has a custom fitted maple fixture to hold it to the plywood. It works great. I really enjoy making things and for a while wasn't working on furniture so I made the fixtures. It was a challenge to design some of the holders but all in all provided lots of good shop time.

My latest incarnation is to hang 1"x12"x24" pine boards with French cleats and hang tool categories on each board. Some of the boards are 16" wide. One board has wrenches/pliers. one has marking tools one will have chisels etc.
--
Saville

If I'm reading you right, that means you can reorganize the layout any time you want just by moving the boards. Clever!