How do you organize your shop?

Sorry. I thought everyone knew they let raw sewage into that pond; I just assumed nobody would ever go in there.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Right. Now what was I looking for again?

I did finally get the back of that new Veritas iron for my #6 lapped and sharpened. It only took five days.

The worst part of this whole ordeal was that I was off and at home and it was GORGEOUS weather. 50 degrees, 60 degrees. I haven't hardly worn anything heavier than long johns and a flannel shirt all week, even at night.

And I spent the week cleaning house and sitting in hospital room.

Sigh.

(Weather matters because my shop is just a crappy little shed. Inadequate heat, no air conditioning. This is perfect weather.)

Oh well. Some things are more important. I haven't fired off the official notice yet, but she's home now. Has these bags in her for six weeks. Oh joy, oh goody. Nothing says love like draining a nice juicy bag of fresh warm bile. Yerk.

Reply to
Silvan

So THAT'S why it got so infected! :)

Reply to
Silvan

OTOH it's not necessarily that much different from putting up with something that complains, corrects, berates, harasses, harangues, belittles and bleeds several days a month but doesn't die... ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Michael, Michael, Michael. Just be delighted she doesn't have a colostomy bag for you to help with.

Charlie Self "A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

I finally remembered the name: Cascade Asset Management

to their website, they'll accept stuff from the public any time, but normally they charge a fee for it. The next "free" roundup is in April ("free" means they still charge $5 for monitors).

Ron Bean

They did it here too. They used to send out notices a month ahead of time to let everyone know when they were going to send the trucks around, now... they haven't done it in a couple years. They used to send around a truck to pick up Christmas trees 2 weeks after Christmas too, they don't do that anymore either.

It's more a matter of not having time or enough stuff to really make it worth the trip. The dump is relatively close, but getting a truck for one thing seems to be a bit of a waste to me.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

This is true.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Organize? What is this you speak of?

-Keith

Reply to
Keith

Sears used to sell some excellent pegboard hooks/hangers. They were designed so the bottom part firmly fit into the pegboard and I never ever had one fall out. They came in a box of about 25 - several shapes available. Sadly, the last time I was in the US store where I got the others they informed they don't carry them any more. What a pain.

Recently I was hauling a load of stuff to the dump and among the junk was a kids workbench. On the small pegboard were four hangers, red in color and firmly in place. I removed them and now use them on my own pegboard...They were very sturdy, probably because of the specs placed on kids toy safety. Wish I could get more of them too because not only do they stay in place but the red looks great :O) I think Mattel or some other major mfr made it.

Anyone know of another source for the kind I'm talking about - The bottom part of the pegs was split.

Keith P.

Reply to
Keith

I had pegboard in two previous home shops and always hated it. As others have noted, the clips always came off, etc.. I vowed that someday I would have something else. When we moved into our house ten years ago I had room for a 20' x 35' shop in the basement. The house design resulted in an alcove in the shop area. I built a set of open cabinets with shelves that hold plastic bins for hardware for the bottom of the alcove. Above them are three tool boards of 1/2" birch ply wood. The tools are organized by function (measuring & marking, screw and nut handling, edge cutting, hole making, etc.) Each tool has a custom fitted maple fixture to hold it to the plywood. It works great. I really enjoy making things and for a while wasn't working on furniture so I made the fixtures. It was a challenge to design some of the holders but all in all provided lots of good shop time.

Reply to
Al Palmer

My latest incarnation is to hang 1"x12"x24" pine boards with French cleats and hang tool categories on each board. Some of the boards are 16" wide. One board has wrenches/pliers. one has marking tools one will have chisels etc.

Reply to
gregg

If I'm reading you right, that means you can reorganize the layout any time you want just by moving the boards. Clever!

rcook5