How do you organize your shop?

I'm 20 minutes from Madison. Do you have contact info for them? I can wrangle a pallet, no problems there...

Thanks, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sorry, don't have any pictures. My pegs are 1/4 inch pegs. Most of them are the type that either have the metal plate attached to the back end of the peg with somewhat sharp points that hook in behind the board, or they are the type that are simply the 1/4 inch peg, bent to fit into two holes in the pegboard. Both of these types stay in quite well.

I have some of the types that use the plastic piece that hooks into the board and the peg then just sits into the plastic part, but I don't care much for those. They do come out easily. I'm not sure if I'm helping you at all with this explanation.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Amen.

Reply to
Silvan

You enabler you!

Don't shoot'em with a BB gun. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Silvan

One of the handiest things I did was to run a french cleat around 3 walls of my shop to hang cabinets. The cabinets have a slot in each side to allow getting them over the wall mounted half of the cleat, and I'm able to easily relocate them when I rearrange the shop. I made extra lengths of the cleat, and use them to put up various storage racks - clamp rack, saw blade hangers, holding fixtures for jigs, etc. Now if I could only get the discipline to put things back in the cabinet, or on the storage racks as I finish using them..

Ron Kolakowski.

Reply to
Rkola

I found that having the tools close to the bench is very convenient. I built fold-away cabinets that hold a lot of tools close by. Tools I use less often go into drawers. I like pegboards, but build custom tool holders using "L" hooks that hook into the pegboard.

Reply to
Phisherman

LOL - All I can say is WHAT!!!!! What else can you do at 18 and a bb gun and the monitor just sitting there :)

Too funny!!!

Reply to
Rob V

So do I. Seems like most end up ON the bench though. I do have a couple of sets of drawers from Lee Valley. They hold my sandpaper, some measuring tools, chisels and assorted small stuff. A couple of Tupperware boxes about 5 x 5 x 1 hold screwdriver bits, countersink bits, other small stuff that I use frequently. Pegboard holds other hand tools, sanders are plugged in and under the bench. One with 120 grit, the other 220 grit.

Router table has two drawers for all the bits and accessories for it.

In the next few weeks I'm going to re-do my bench. That means everything must be moved so it will be easier to organize as I put things back. The bench will also be narrower so I can utilize the wall behind it that I cannot now reach.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

After building 3 sets of drawers and planning a couple of cabinets, I ended up buying 100 rare earth magnets for $20 and hanging the stuff that I use most often.. Hammers and heavy stuff go on the side of the "hardware bin cabinet", most small saws, paint can openers, rulers, allen keys, etc. hang on a

3' x 30" frame of 3/4 pipe over the work bench.. I find that if I can find the stuff that I use a lot, the rest of the junk seems to stay out of my way, pretty much.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Here in Waukesha, WI we have garbage pick-up every Tuesday in my neighborhood. This include large items. A friend of mine moved recently and had 4 old computers, three dead monitors and 2 dot matrix printers. He just put them on the curb and gone no questions asked.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

Sounds roughly like the system in this months issue of The Family Handyman. Checkout the garage system they created,

John

OK, fine. Look, dammit, Silvan. Tonight, we'll both go into our respective shops, and put or throw away one dozen items. (I figure we repeat this for a decade, I'll find my freaking Fluke meter that I need).

It's not any more impressive with a .30-06 - it just stops working. The 12-gauge on the fax/scanner/printer Canon POS was fun, though.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I take I-94 to and from work every day, through Waukesha. Tuesdays, you say?

Do they still do the large-item free-shopping (I mean, garbage pickup) twice a year? Any idea when that is?

Dave "Gotta get rid of some of the stuff I picked up a decade ago" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

When I was moving out of my first apartment, I left behind the first monitor I ever called my own (instead of Dad's.) It was some real POS with lots and lots of problems, and I was moving from a place with huge storage to a place with one half sized closet (and more living space) so I had to get rid of my little memento.

I shot it repeatedly, even went so far as to pump the gun three times more than the recommended number and shoot it at point blank range. Nothing. I put it in the dumpster and threw bricks at it. Nothing. Those CRTs are actually pretty hard to smash.

Ah, the stupidity of youth. Being immortal was fun.

Reply to
Silvan

I wish they'd have a free large-item pickup around here. When we replaced our sofa, a friend said they were going to pick the old one up so we left it outside next to the garage and it was gone the next day. It wasn't until a couple weeks later that we found that someone else had taken it out into the orange groves and slept on it or something and it's since gotten rained on and ruined. It's too bad because it was a nice, nearly new piece of furniture.

Now I'm stuck with this thing I have to get rid of but don't feel like renting a truck and dragging down to the dump.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

You need to surprise them from behind. Take off the case (and try not to kill yourself) and shoot the back of it where it's a lot weaker. Way fun if you float it (just the CRT) out in a pond, too.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

And I'll find that damn glue gun. Though I've already forgotten what I was going to use the glue gun for.

I'll have to try that. :)

Reply to
Silvan

They do not do the large item pick up twice a year. They do it weekly (We must get something out of the high property taxes that we pay). However which day that is depends on what neighborhood you live in.

Reply to
Rick

Yeowch! It cost me 37 stitches when I stepped on that thing. That was YOU?

Reply to
Silvan

Pegboard? Gluing the hooks in? ;-)

-- Mark