How do you organize your shop?

Page 3 of 4
Silvan writes:

Michael, Michael, Michael. Just be delighted she doesn't have a colostomy bag for you to help with.
Charlie Self "A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

This is true.

explain.
Isn't "shop organization" actually an oxymoron?
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

You can organize a shop?
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
Bob Schmall wrote:

I was hoping somebody would have an answer, I sure don't.
Phil wrote:

Last (?) FWW had an article -- one of the key points was that it doesn't make so much of a difference as to the "how", just have someplace specific for everything. The other suggestion was to pick up at least 10 items and put them away before beginning work each time one enters the shop. And, to keep that from being too onerous initially, 10 items can be as simple as 3 sockets left out, etc., count as three items. The point being, obviously, if you do a little at a time, it's not such a chore, and if there is a place for things, then it's easier to keep organized once accomplished.
I've tried it, beginning to try to find the places to put stuff...

Please explain the word, "retentive."

I should try that.

See, that's the thing. Horizontal space is a problem in my shop, there's not enough of it, and what's there is full of stuff.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Amen.
The one thing I would add, is those cheap Zip plastic food containers keep making more of a show, especially the sandwich size. One of these days I'm going to make a shelving unit to store a bunch of them so they are individually accessable.
Phil
Phil wrote:

I've found what works best for me is doing shop stuff until I can't find the tool I'm looking for or until I don't have room to put something down, whichever comes first. Then I spend a day putting everything back, during which I usually say several times "So THAT'S where that went!" Sometimes it's two days.
Then I either sharpen my edged tools because now I know where they all are, or start doing shop stuff again.
I agree with Pat, though. I need lots more drawers. Big ones and little ones. Having totes and buckets and soft-side tool carriers is nice because at least all the parts and accessories are all in the same place as the tool, but now I need someplace to put the totes.
Dan wrote:

I've been working on it for three days now, and I still have 2/3 of my workbench covered. At least I can see almost all of the floor now. I had stuff piled up all over the place around things I hadn't used in awhile.

LOL! I'm there. I've got every plane iron and chisel in the place laid out with all my sharpening stuff. Gonna do a Sharpen Fest tomorrow or the day after or whenever I steal enough time away from the hospital or my wife gets home, whichever comes first.

All of the walls in my woodshop area are pegboard. Quite handy.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

My 2 bits....Dan J
Dunno if this will help, but my high school shop (this is +/- 20 years ago) had a very large freestanding cabinet, about 4' wide, 8' high and 24" deep. The front was two doors that were hinged at the center of each side of the cabinet, so that when you opened it up, you basically had a center cabinet 4x8 x 12" deep and a pair of 2x8 x 12" deep cabinets hinged to each side. (hope this makes sense). All of the shop's hand tools were stored in this cabinet, and there must have been a few hundred different items. I would say that if you have the room for one giant cabinet for all your tools (and you can put pegboard etc. on the inside) and something like an old library card catalog or apothecary cabinet for hardware, that will leave a lot of room free in your shop and keep most of the dust off stuff.

furnace is right in the middle of the room. What is wrong with the people who install these things?!!!! I'm only tolerating the situation; my wife and I plan to move somewhere else once the kids graduate from high school. The furnace is the number one impediment to me ever getting my workshop organized.
I have changed the way I've organized my workshop twice, so I'd have to say the most important things are those wheels. If you've got them you can think about reconfiguring for the job at hand. If you don't, you're less likely to want to change. I've all but given up looking for the "correct" way to organize, because just when I figure out what it should be, I start building different things that require a different organization. Just don't try to cram too many things into too small a space or you'll really limit your options for change.
- Owen -
There are little plastic clips that hold down peg hooks that span at least two holes vertically(including the hole for the peg itslef). You cannot put two hooks directly adjacent to each other, however you can put the ends of the clips in the same hole, so a one hole space between hooks is possible. They come in some of the kits at the borgs, and im sure they also come seperately. The individual hooks are the ones i have the trouble with, the rail types, and the double rail types usually stay in by themselves... anyhoo... Jesse M
On Tue 28 Dec 2004 10:11:39p, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ThJester99) wrote in

Yeah, you can buy them by the box. Can't remember where I got 'em. One of the borgs, or Dorn or Ace. They really do make those hooks stay put.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:37:56 +0000, Dan wrote:

How about a hot melt glue gun to keep those pesky hooks secure?
- Doug

wrote in

Well, every now and then I get a new tool and have to rearrange the pegs a little...