How do you organize your shop?

Page 1 of 4
I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares, levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw blades. I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop organization?
Hi Phil,
I feel your pain. My (almost) 20 year old shop is still evolving. Currently, I am putting in some hanging cabinets (as I build them). There is always something to tear out & do over it seems. Total Utopian organization is elusive.
The one thing that really bugs me tho is pegboard. I have about (16 x3) feet of the stuff. I have tried using the little clips and all sorts of gadgets, but tools are always falling off. I am seriously thinking of putting a sheet or two of 3/4 ply in place of the pegboard (like Norm suggests).
Funny thing tho, SWMBO is always telling me how happy I seem to be when I am building for or reorganizing the workshop in some way.
Pretty observant of her.
Lou

<snip>I have tried

Try the "heavy duty" pegboard clips. They can be a real PITA to get into the pegboard, but they stay put. I ditched all the "light duty" ones for the same reason, they always fell off. --dave

I don't!
Honestly I do NOT work for Festool, but look at this stuff. It is a great way to organize a shop.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/festoolorgan.htm
but, as always, the stuff costs money. I have a few Systainers because I get one every time I buy a tool from them. The bulk of my stuff is stored in Ziploc food containers. I also like the polyethelene peanut butter jars. I solved the 'falling pegboard hook' problem by squirting a little hotmelt in the hole. A heat gun releases it again.
I think we all would be bored if we finally got it perfect and there wasn't anything to do. I know I would.
I have a couple of anemic pegboards that I have used for 30 years and have never been satisfied. When I started to read about your pegboard, I immediately thought, "I wonder if he has solved the problem of the hooks always coming off, etc". The answer was no. I don't think pegboard is a very good answer. I guess this begs the question: What is the overall best storage method?
Tool Chest Pros: Nice and organized, dust free. Cons: Have to dig for tool you want. Always seems like the tool is too big or too small and their is either too much or too little room.
Clear plastic storage boxes/drawers: Pros: Cheap. Good for holding screws. Cons: Always having to re-arrange them when I want to put a different size between two anothers. Not smooth in opening and closing (at least mine aren't). Not often easy to see item in drawer. Some not easy to label.
Baby food jars on ferris wheel or carousel type holder: Pros: Has Worked for screws, nails, miscellaneous hardware for 30 years. Takes very little room and in places that normally would not be useful anyway. Easy to see contents. Not necessary therefore to label
Cons: Takes a little time to build. Good luck in finding the good screw-on type baby food jars today
Ball jars on ferris wheel or carousel type holder: Pros: Takes a lot larger screws, nails and other hardware. Takes very little room and in places that normally would not be useful anyway. Easy to see contents. Not necessary therefore to label (I do, however, for screw sizes) Cons: Takes a little time to build. Cost of Ball Jars seems low until you have about 60 of them. This contraption is HEAVY and you need to balance the weight.
Low cost (polypropylene?) drawer set like sold at Target: Pros: Low cost. Keeps dust off of tools you might keep out otherwise. Can put anywhere you have floor space. Most have casters if you want to move them. Large variety of drawer sizes. Cons: Probably won't last for years (but they have been OK for me so far). Not the best presentation ever thought of (but who cares if they work?!). Sometimes overlook them and forget where I have put something (Oops, guess that is my fault, not the drawer's fault).
Norm Abram's router table with bit holding drawers: Pros: Best darned storage for router bits (why don't the commercial router cabinets use them mor often instead of just doors) Cons: Can't think of any except that there is some extra time needed to build them.
Workbench Shelf made of 3/4 inch dowels: Pros: Holds tools (such as planes) in plain site but allows dust to fall through dowels. Cons: Let some tools fall through also. Dust does not fall through planes, so they get dusty. However, you should be using them often enough that that does not happen (right?).
Anyone else have a list?
loutent wrote:

After 7 years of moving crap all over the shop, I think drawers are the answer to all the world's problems...
I built Norm's miter saw station and I have filled that sucker up in every single drawer.
Next project...more drawers !!!!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

loutent wrote:

And the stupid clips come off the board with the tool. Yeah, pegboard is just not what it's cracked up to be.
Anyway, the trouble with organizing a shop is that it's a never-ending process of figuring out a way to squeeze in more tools, more supplies, and more scraps.

Use heavy duty peg board and heavy duty pegs. They stay in place and they hold a lot of weight. I got a bucket full of assorted pegs from a local hardware store when they were changing over their display stuff and I don't live with any problems from them coming off the board when I don't want.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Sorry, don't have any pictures. My pegs are 1/4 inch pegs. Most of them are the type that either have the metal plate attached to the back end of the peg with somewhat sharp points that hook in behind the board, or they are the type that are simply the 1/4 inch peg, bent to fit into two holes in the pegboard. Both of these types stay in quite well.
I have some of the types that use the plastic piece that hooks into the board and the peg then just sits into the plastic part, but I don't care much for those. They do come out easily. I'm not sure if I'm helping you at all with this explanation.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Do you have a picture of these heavy duty pegs that you can put somewhere with a link to it? I don't know what you mean by "heavy duty" pegs.
Mike Marlow wrote:

LOL! I guess I don't! I'm on vacation this week and have spent the last two days re-organizing everything to make room for a DC and mortising machine. I have a 2 1/2 car shop and thus far have a preferred layout for some things, but can't decide on some others. For example, my table saw is almost centered in the shop with the jointer off to the left side. My TS has a 50" fence, so the right end of the table holds my planer. In front of the TS I have a 5' router table that also serves as an outfeed table for the TS. This arrangement seems to work best for me. I got 4 2'x4' steel rolling cabinets with laminate tops from a school auction several years ago that provide a good amount of storage and counter space. The lathe, band saw, and drill press are all along the back wall with cabinets in between each that house the accessories needed for each machine. The walls in the shop are 8', so I ran split sheets of drywall (2' x 8') on the top and bottom, with the 4' in between filled with pegboard. This worked well, lots of storage on the walls, and little material waste. After spending most of the day today just cleaning up the plethora of rags, sandpaper, drill bits, hand tools etc, off of all the flat surfaces in the shop, I'd say my biggest problem is KEEPING it organized! --dave

Please explain the word, "organization."
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

LOL ... reminds me of the one about the newscaster that asked a Texan, a Californian, and a New Yorker the question: "Excuse me, but do you know anything about the beef shortage?".
The Texan said: "What's a 'shortage'?"; the Californian said: "What's 'beef'?"; and the New Yorker said: "Whets 'excuse me'?".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Bob Schmall wrote:

I have heard the term "organization," but I can't understand what "shop organization" is supposed to mean. Those two words side by side make no sense, like saying, oh, "kitchen jubilation" or something. Please explain.

I _think_ he's talking about what the shop looks like after you clean it up so you can walk to the tools again? Not sure. In my case, it means "don't store that monitor under the milling machine because the chips will become a problem".
Dave "Anyone want to buy a used monitor (as-is)?" Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

Clean it up? Walk? I thought this was an English language newsgroup, but I don't understand those words either.

It's not like they have any electrical components or bigass magnets in them. Should be just fine.

I'm feeling better about this all the time. Although, I think we're just ...what's the term... enabling each other to continue to not clean the shop up, but I'm not sure that can be helped.

Yeah, because what could possibly go wrong? Actually, I've got about 3 monitors in the shop that are "too good to throw out, to fuzzy to use", that I really, really should just get rid of. But, where do you get rid of a monitor these days? I'd rather not just dumpster them, y'know? All that (a) good scrap material, and (b) hazardous chemicals.
Dave Hinz
<snip>

In our, admittedly California, town, they are to be recycled. Usually, there is a fee ($10), but, that having proved counterproductive(*), they often have 'free days', when CRTs, televisions, computers and the like can be dropped off at no charge.
One of my sons generally wants to scavenge something from my dead machines, and it becomes his problem, until an amnesty day. But no land fill.
Patriarch
* stuff shows up tossed where stuff shouldn't be

There's a recycling company in Madison Wis that takes old computer gear from the public twice a year (the rest of the time they only want corporate stuff that comes in on pallets). $5 charge for monitors and laptops (limit 2). I've dumped a bunch of "stuff that's too big to store" with them over the last few years.
There must be similar operations in other cities. A web search for something like "computer recycling" and the name of the nearest big city might turn something up.